Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Once A Month Cooking Whether you cook for a month or just double your dinners, this is the place to share ideas.

Old 03-14-2002, 06:36 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Amanda I love the new Glad disposable freezer containers. They last a very long time but if my dh happens to forget one at work I'm not in a panic because they weren't expensive. I pick them up at the Dollar General.
Old 03-15-2002, 02:43 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I used to sell tupperware and was my own best customer. So I use alot of that. Though for bigger bulky item like whole chicken breasts I use freezer bags.
smiles
Denise

I also like to freeze cookie dough. I will spend a couple hours making different doughs, sugar, peanut butter, fly ( ;-) oatmeal but we call them fly cookies for Franklin), chocolate chip, coconut ect. I roll them into balls, flatten a bit and freeze (in tupperware). When we want cookies I place the frozen ball on the sheet let the sit on countertop for about 10 minutes then bake. You can bake 6 of each kind or what ever you want/need.

Smiles
Denise
Old 04-03-2002, 05:45 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Wow! I can't wait to go get these recipees you're all talking about! Sounds great! I'm a fairly new Mom and live away from all the parents and end up with tons of weekend company so this may help alot...especially for those last minute new Grandparent visits!! I love to cook and bake, but have found that I need to be in the mood, so doing up the mixes and freezing stuff will help for those days I just don't wanna cook!! I did however take a Sunday a did a bunch of things for the week (spaghetti sauce, fresh pasta, chili, crock pot spare ribs, chicken parmesean oh, and lemon merange pie!) but didn't think it was a great thing for me as I lost the ability to cook on the spur of the moment that I'm so used to. I love whipping something together at the last minute which is probably how I survive all our company!! But maybe doing Amanda's approach will work for a few meals and treats here and there. I also had a question for Denise....do you freeze any cookie dough??? Sounds like a great time saver, but do they really taste fresh baked too??? Thanks guys for all the great advice...looking forward to more!!!
Old 04-03-2002, 08:02 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi adriansmom

I have frozen choco chip
coconut
peanut butter
oatmeal raisin ( we call them fly cookies
from the show Franklin)
sugar
cookie dough and I thhink they taste just fine
now muffins and cakes I to bake and the freeze.

Smiles
Denise
Old 04-04-2002, 08:30 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks Densie for those great tips. Love cookies, but trying to find the time to cook them these days is a little tough. And of course I end up eating them all which isn't a good thing! Can't wait to try some out. Can't wait to try those brownies too. I think this weekend I'll get some meat dishes together for the freezer. I'll let yas know how I do! You guys have helped me figure out some of my problems for when I head back to work...you're awesome!! My schedule varies and get a lot of on call shifts so prep time isn't there always! And when I have the time to cook I can go from scratch on something too like I usually like to, but now we won't be scambling when I don't have the time.....or ambition! You all have motivated me to get things going!! Thanks!!
Old 04-04-2002, 08:55 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I know this tip isn't for everyone but.....
when I was still working outside the house I got into to habit of making a monthly menu. I have been a sahm for almost 6 years and still make that menu, it's a big time saver for me.
I make it out toward the end of the month. And I am open to requests from the family. I base it on what is in my freezer so I can still shop sales and stock up and to use up any left overs. And also include any new recipes I have been wanting to try. I write the name of the recipe and then a note on where to find it wether a cook book name and page, a magamzine name and page or a web site.
This way there isn't any more "whats for dinner" I already know and can thaw or plan any preprations ahead. I also plan the menu around my calander, for instance hubby loves grilled steak so we have it EVERY Saturday for dinner, then he has leftovers for steak and eggs on Sunday morning. Tuesdays the girls have gymnastics until 6:00 so it is ALWAYS a crock pot dinner. Thursdays is Kids Cook, they pick and help with all the prepration and cooking..
On the days that I know I will be gone all day I try to have the table set before I leave the house. ( a trick I learned for any night when dinner is late, set the table even before you start cooking then when hubby of the family comes in wondering about dinner they see the table set and "think" things are moving right along even if you are way behind)

I divide the back side of the menu into coluumns and date them with shopping trip days and keep a running grocery list for each week.

This works very well for me and might be worth trying.

Good luck
Smiles
Denise

Last edited by Denise6333; 04-04-2002 at 09:05 AM.
Old 04-04-2002, 09:01 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

another idea

that I tried but didn't work as well for me as the menu is

To write the title of every meal you can think of to make from pot roast to the easiest soup and sandwiches eack on a different index card. On the back of the card write possible side dishes. Place them in a cardfile and then at random pick out 7 cards this is you dinners for the next week ( so you can shop for any needed items) You then place these cards in the back of of the file divided away fromm the others, pick 7 new cards for the next week. This keeps you from reapting the same old dinners over and over

Like I said this didn't work as well for me but everyone is differant and it might work for someone else
Smiles
Denise
Old 04-07-2002, 08:28 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I got a Foodsaver (the vacuum packaging machine) for my birthday last month. Boy do I LOVE it!!!

Not only is my food going to stay fresher longer, but I have so much more room in my freezer. I've been cooking huge batches of everything just so I can use it. They are a bit pricey, but well worth it.
Old 04-20-2002, 02:11 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Location: I'm somewhere between the Port of Indecision & Southwest of Disorder
Freezing

I also have a Food Saver and it is wonderful for freezing ahead. You can freeze almost anything if it is properly prepared. There is just my DH and I so I have to freeze or can if I am to take advantage of the money saving specials. Our favorite meats are ground beef and chicken. I buy in the 'family size' for the lowest price and package according to the amounts for two. If I have company I can always thaw more than one package. There are also many other uses. You can package your pasta, dried beans, etc. in smaller packages when you buy in bulk. Then you don't have to worry about the measuring when you are in a hurry.

When I was working outside the home I would freeze my pasta dishes, without the cheese,; put them in the fridge when I got up in the a.m. and they were thawed enough to top with cheese and pop into the oven while I was putting the rest of the meal together. If you use some of the new plastic casserole dishes you can even prepare it in the microwave.

We have a large garden each year so I can, freeze, and dry a lot each year. My DH loves Picante Sauce and homemade sauerkraut. I can't remember when the last was that I bought picante and I know that it has been over 20 years since I bought sauerkraut.

It is so nice to be able to put together a meal for a family that has lost a loved one or a dish for the church social without having to make a trip into town and even nicer knowing that we grew and preserved the food that God gave us so we have it to share with others.

It really is a thrill to know that so many younger women are starting to prepare and preserve their own meals and other things. Ain't God great! He not only provides for us but, also gives us the desire and abilities to care for the bounty.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:03 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

How much do the food saver's cost and where can I buy one?

hugs,train