FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   Once A Month Cooking (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/once-month-cooking/)
-   -   OAMC / Bi-Weekly Cooking (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/once-month-cooking/21127-oamc-bi-weekly-cooking.html)

brehartsell 06-20-2008 04:53 AM

Has anyone done the OAMC lately. I got a cookbook for this but I haven't really been able to try this out b/c we are building a new house and we have been in a camper for the last month or so but I always like to hear about other people doing it. It motivates me.
:flff: B

RobertaD 06-22-2008 03:39 AM

I would love to get into OAMC but the closest I've gotten is buying meat in bulk and dividing it into meal sizes and freezing.

Roberta

brehartsell 06-23-2008 04:09 AM

That is about all that I have done. I have cooked some of the meals out of the cookbook but I haven't frozen any. I just can't seem to cook for a whole day but I know that it would be easier and cheaper in the long run.:flowerddd B

Amanda 06-23-2008 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brehartsell
I just can't seem to cook for a whole day but I know that it would be easier and cheaper in the long run.:flowerddd B

I did a cookbook review on Debora Taylor-Hough's book Frozen Assets several years ago.

Here's an excerpt from my review:

"The author knows that not everyone wants to, or can, spend an entire day in the kitchen. That's why she cleverly includes how to cook for a week instead of a month. Less time in the kitchen, yet you'll still reap the benefits of preparing meals ahead of time. "

Check out the review here, you can most likely check out the book from the library or find it cheap on eBay or Amazon in the used books. I still have my copy LOL

DeBora4BobbyL 06-23-2008 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brehartsell
That is about all that I have done. I have cooked some of the meals out of the cookbook but I haven't frozen any. I just can't seem to cook for a whole day but I know that it would be easier and cheaper in the long run.:flowerddd B

I have found that cooking a double or triple batch of something and freezing it doesn't take any more time and it doesn't dirty any more dishes than making a single batch. Plus, you've saved time by getting 2 other meals for the future prepared!

Amanda, I like the first name of that author.

barbszy 06-23-2008 12:27 PM

I don't think I could ever do a whole month at a time, just because I ENJOY doing the cooking each evening. However, I do "prep ahead" where possible. I make huge batches (8 to 10 meals' worth) of spaghetti sauce every few months. If I'm making chili, I make enough for 3 meals and freeze 2. Often, roasts or grilled meats are cooked extra so I can have "planned leftovers" which I often freeze.

I own Taylor-Hough's book, and the information in there was very valuable even with the kind of cooking I do. And when we prepare to go away on vacation, I do get the meals semi-prepped and frozen using techniques I learned from this book.

ajrsmom 06-23-2008 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FamilyCorner
I did a cookbook review on Debora Taylor-Hough's book Frozen Assets several years ago.

Here's an excerpt from my review:

"The author knows that not everyone wants to, or can, spend an entire day in the kitchen. That's why she cleverly includes how to cook for a week instead of a month. Less time in the kitchen, yet you'll still reap the benefits of preparing meals ahead of time. "

Check out the review here, you can most likely check out the book from the library or find it cheap on eBay or Amazon in the used books. I still have my copy LOL

This week when I take my kids back to the library to check out more books, I'm going to see if they have this book. Thanks, Amanda :)

Amanda 06-23-2008 04:53 PM

You're welcome Tami. And Barb, I wish I could enjoy cooking, but too many kids saying "I don't like that" takes all the fun out of it, :-P

barbszy 06-24-2008 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FamilyCorner
Barb, I wish I could enjoy cooking, but too many kids saying "I don't like that" takes all the fun out of it, :-P

That's not something I put up with around here :pirattt: And I don't deal well with it when guests are picky. :madcurse: No more mild-mannered Barb when that happens!

Amanda 06-24-2008 07:44 AM

LOL well it's probably not as bad as my post made it sound. My older kids usually eat everything I make. However my daughter refuses to eat any meat except chicken now (she's not quite a vegetarian but definitely won't eat beef) and my younger too are in that stage still of picking at their food and eating little tiny bits. If it weren't for my older ones doing it when they were younger, I would be worried, but I know they eventually grow out of it.