Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Once A Month Cooking Whether you cook for a month or just double your dinners, this is the place to share ideas.

Old 08-03-2007, 02:37 AM
Nine Year Member

There is a place about 30 miles from me that also does that where you and a group of friends can come make a bunch of food and take it home.

One of the mom's at dd2's summer school was talking about wanting to get together with some friends and going.

Roberta
Old 08-06-2007, 06:14 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

How about posting the cheesy Mexican chicken & rice recipe?
And here is a basic question.....If you are making two of a casserole, do you bake the one that is to go in the freezer?
Old 08-06-2007, 06:23 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

With most of the things I freeze I don't bake them first. If it's an dish that calls for cooked pasta or cooked rice I cook it for 1/2 of the normal time so that it doesn't get mushy. There are some things that I do cook before freezing - soups, quesedilla filling, some skillet type meals that you actually cook while you're preparing them.

I need to find the recipe for the Cheesy Mexican Chicken & Rice. I just dump stuff in usually, but I did a recipe for my entree exchange so I'll find it and post it soon.

Have a great day!

Mindy

Unnecessary possessions are unnecessary burdens...Chinese Fortune Cookie
Old 08-06-2007, 08:55 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I lost my previous recipe somehow so I re-typed it. This really is an easy recipe, anything you like can be added. I sometimes make it w/out the rice (omit rice & water) when I use it for tortilla filling if I don't want all the extra carbs.

Cheesy Mexican Chicken & Rice

4 chicken breasts – cooked & diced or shredded
1 jar salsa – any type you like
1 small can of chopped green chiles
2 c Mexican blend cheese (w/out taco seasoning)
1 envelope taco seasoning (it’s great w/out the taco seasoning also)
½ - 1 T cumin
1 c Minute Rice, uncooked
1 c water

Add all ingredients except rice & 1 c cheese to a large pan (I use my chicken fryer – a large skillet w/ sides) and bring to a boil. Add rice, simmer until cooked. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top & heat until cheese melts.
Note: This is great eaten alone, w/ tortilla chips, or served on tortilla shells.
To freeze – Undercook rice, cool & put in freezer Ziploc bag (I double bag everything), remove all air & freeze flat. To reheat, thaw overnight in fridge or in microwave & heat on stovetop or in microwave.

Have a great day!

Mindy

Old 08-06-2007, 09:04 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Me again...I found this website this morning. Deborah (”Debi”) Taylor-Hough, who wrote the book "Frozen Assets: How to Cook for a Day and Eat For a Month", made this website. She has some of her freezer recipes on it. I think I'm going to buy her book the next time I'm at Barnes & Noble. I have a 15% off coupon right now so maybe I'll make it there before it expires.

http://frozenassets.wordpress.com/

Have a great day!

Mindy

Old 08-07-2007, 06:14 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Thanks Mindybean, that makes sense about what to pre cook & not. The recipe looks good too. I might have to try it....except I'm out of green chilis.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:44 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hey ladies... I am not an OAMC-er, but I do like to prepare things ahead when I can because I love the time it saves. I am trying to be more ambitious with it now that I have taken a new job, and with a hubby in school and two boys in school and doing stuff, I need to save all the time I can. Today I am cooking 3 lbs of ground beef- 2 lbs is for meatballs and one lb will be cooked with a little garlic and other seasonings, to be used in enchiladas.

Someone above asked for chicken recipes- I have some! These are from my SIL- she has an OAMC cookbook that's got some really good stuff in it. I honestly can't remember the name or author, but next time I talk to her, I'll see if I can get it.

Anyhow, I have tried all these recipes, and they are all good! I buy a 3-to-4 pound bag of boneless frozen chicken and divide it up into 3 portions. One portion I'll grill on my Foreman and freeze, then the other two I'll prepare in one of these ways.

*Fragrant Sticky Chicken*
serves 4- can triple to serve 12
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 Tbsp grated ginger
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup honey

Combine soy, broth, ginger, garlic. Mix wekk and add the chicken. Cover and marinate 1-2 hours in the fridge. Pack chicken and marinade into a zipper-lock freezer bag and freeze.

To cook: Thaw freezer bag in fridge overnight. Heat skillet to medium. Add chicken and marinade and cook 5-8 minutes on one side. Flip the chicken over and add the honey to the pan. Cover and cook 8-10 minutes, or until chicken is done and sauce is reduced.

(Catwoman's note: I serve this one with white rice and buttered green beans with almonds. I've also used it in stir-fry and chicken salad sandwiches.)

*Citrus Glazed Chicken*
serves 4- can triple to serve 12
1/4 cup honey
3 Tbsp lemon juice
3 Tbsp orange juice
1 tsp dried tarragon

Pleace chicken in zipper freezer bag. Mix remaining ingredients, place in the bag, and freeze.

To cook: Thaw bag in fridge overnight. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes, glazing frequently.

(Catwoman's note: I serve this with white rice also, and it goes good on a bed of salad greens with mandarin orange sections.)

*Creamy Bacon Chicken*
serves 4, can be tripled to serve 12
5 slices bacon
8 oz. mushrooms, chopped
1 10-oz jar Alfredo sauce
1 cup grated Havarti cheese

Cook bacon until crisp. Remove from pan and drain, reserving drippings in pan. Saute mushrooms in drippings. Place raw chicken in 9x9 baking dish; top with cooked mushrooms. Pour Alfredo sauce over. Cool in fridge. Place bacon in one baggie and cheese in another; label the baggies, and place them in the freezer with the chicken dish.

To cook: Thaw chicken dish overnight in the fridge. Crumble back and sprinkle over all, then sprinkle cheese over all. Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until chicken is done.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:42 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Those recipes sound good, I'll have to try them. I think I only have two freezer meals left in my freezer. I need to get busy & make some more. I think I'll go pull one out & put it in the fridge for dinner tomorrow night. I do still have two 1 lb packs of browned ground beef in the freezer so I could use that to make something. I'm not sure what staples I have in the pantry to use to make things. Maybe tomorrow I'll make a list of some recipes that I want to make and then I'll shop in my pantry before I make my grocery list.

Have a great day!

Mindy

Old 01-02-2008, 06:53 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Catwoman, in the 2nd recipe, is it possible to leave out the tarragon? I don't have any & I don't like to buy a new spice not knowing if I'll like the recipe. What does tarragon taste like?
Old 01-03-2008, 03:01 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I bet that 2nd recipe would be good with thyme instead of tarragon, if you don't have any tarragon.