Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Once A Month Cooking Whether you cook for a month or just double your dinners, this is the place to share ideas.

Old 08-01-2007, 03:10 AM
Five Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Oh, this sounds wonderful! Thank you so much! I will find my recipes and post them in the new thread when you get it going, but it won't be today probably. I have a couple of devotionals I need to get written today. I finished one up last night and sent it off to the publisher this morn, now have another to do for my online newsletter, and another article to get done for a friend's website! Sooo...not much chance today unless I get myself in gear here. Thanks for sharing!

Visit my main blog--Nuggets of Wisdom
Old 08-01-2007, 06:38 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Okay, now I'm awake & it makes perfect sense! lol

I'm game for this. We can decide on the categories & then everyone can share their recipes. After we've eaten the meal we can also share our reviews of the meal (how did it freeze, any adjustments to make the next time, was it worth making again, etc.).

What types of soups do you like to make to freeze? I've made chili, white chili, & cuban black bean soup. They all froze really well. I'm not sure if I'd make 3 soups in one cooking session just because we don't eat a lot of soup. It would be nice to have them during the winter though.

When I did the entree exchange we only prepared entrees, it would be great to have some side dishes in the freezer also though. We usually did our categories like this:
chicken
beef
pork
mexican
soup or vegetarian
pasta

Maybe we can add 1 or 2 side dishes to our list of categories.

I like making casseroles & easy to prepare meals (few ingredients, quick prep time). When I made 6 of each thing for the exchange I would set up a little assembly line & it worked great. Sometimes I was able to double or triple the recipe so that I just had to go through the motions 2 or 3 times. One recipe I make is Mexican Cheesy Chicken w/ Rice. I have a huge roaster oven & I was able to make all 6 entrees at once w/ this. It worked great.

Let me know when you want to try this. Sounds like a great idea! I can't wait to get some suggestions & new recipes.

Have a great day!

Mindy

Unnecessary possessions are unnecessary burdens...Chinese Fortune Cookie
Old 08-01-2007, 10:22 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Does anyone know if it would work if I blanch some fresh green beans, add some bacon bits and use my food saver to bag it if it would freeze okay? Then I would only have to thaw, add some butter & cook them. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Have a great day!

Mindy

Old 08-01-2007, 02:55 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Sounds to me like it would work fine.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:55 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Barb, thanks for the reply. My Dad keeps getting beans from a friend and I want to take some but I don't want them to go to waste. I'll have to let Mom know I want some to freeze.

Have a great day!

Mindy

Old 08-01-2007, 05:15 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Oh, I made 2 more casseroles tonight. One was a tator tot casserole & the other was a cheesy potato hamburger casserole. I think I'm making the tator tot cass tomorrow so it isn't going to last long but at least it's made. I was going to make it for dinner tonight but time slipped away from me so we ended up having manwich. I browned 3 lbs of gr beef, used one in the manwich & I used the other 2 in the casseroles for the freezer. They're both easy casseroles to throw together so it didn't take much time. That's the type of freezer meal I like to make.

Have a great day!

Mindy

Old 08-02-2007, 04:09 AM
Nine Year Member

I double chili when I make it to have some to put in the freezer. I liked having raw meatloaf mix in the freezer to thaw and bake fresh.

Roberta
Old 08-02-2007, 07:55 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I like to double the meatloaf recipe so that I can stick 2 in the freezer w/out any extra work. I'm waiting to go to Costco this weekend to get more gr. beef.

I need to search for some good chicken recipes since that's the only type of meat I have in the freezer right now. I might stick some in a ziploc bag w/ marinade and take it when we go camping the next time.

Have a great day!

Mindy

Old 08-02-2007, 02:50 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

My sister and were just talking last night. She said she has a place where she lives (CO) where you can pay so many $ and go one evening a month and prepare 8 meals. they provide everything you need including the meat. If you were really pressed for time they could make the meals for for and extra charge. I am not sure of the pricing, but she thought it was about as much as a week of groveries would cost her.
I use to do OAMC, but lately I seem to be having a hard time to find enough time to do that. I know it sure easier if I can have a couple a meals a week made ahead.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:14 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

We have a place called Supper Thyme where you can pay and go prepare the meals. They do the grocery shopping & prep all the ingredients. My friend & I want to go try it sometime but I know this one is more expensive than it would be for me to buy my own groceries. It would be nice not to have to wash & chop everything though.

Have a great day!

Mindy