Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Once A Month Cooking Whether you cook for a month or just double your dinners, this is the place to share ideas.

Old 06-04-2002, 12:08 PM
FamilyCorner Junkie

chuckle I did it!

This past weekend I did a oamc session! I'm very proud of myself--I spent less than $100 and that was for breakfasts, lunches, and dinners! I'll end up buying more groceries, ie fruits and fresh veggies(at least until the garden starts producing), but this was a major deal for me--I had planned about $200 but got some really good deals

Here's what I made, 4 of each. Some of this might roll over into next month, if we go to mil's for dinner, eat out, etc.

Breakfasts: pancakes, french toast sticks, oatmeal/banana muffins, scrambled eggs w/sausage, peppers, onions, and cheese. And we have cereal!

Lunches: 24 subs for dh's work lunch, 12 mini pizzas(pepperoni, onion, green peppers, leftover sausage ), chicken nuggets w/ fries, rice and bean burrittosw/cheese, "chicken finale", and chicken fried rice.

Dinners: Lasagna, beef stew w/hm rolls, "chicken firecrackers", salisbury steaks, chicken curry, chicken tetrazzini, beef stroganoff, and chop suey. This actually is more than enough for just us, but I made extra, just in case.

Boy, that's a lot of food! But I love opening my freezer and seeing all those baggies, stacked neatly, just waiting.....
Old 06-04-2002, 12:43 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

That's so cool! Congratulations! Neat to see all those bags eh? What are you having tonight then?

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 06-04-2002, 01:11 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Yea! That is great! I bet it feels good. You get a party hat!
Old 06-04-2002, 05:45 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Way to go!
Old 06-04-2002, 06:53 PM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I am sooooooo impressed!! That is so great. I bet that feels really good. I would be opening the freezer over and over to look at it. You should be very proud of yourself.
Old 06-05-2002, 05:15 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

blushing

I am a mom of 3 and would like to try this out. How do you do it and start? I have plenty of freezer room also. Thanks for sharing!!
Old 06-05-2002, 09:46 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

this will be long!

Well, first I write down everything I have in my pantry, freezer, etc. That way I know what I already have when I make out my grocery list. Then I plan my menu, using the things I already have, and making my list according to what is on sale, what I have coupons for, etc. I try to start planning ahead, so I can watch for sales, or I alter the menu to fit the sales. Then I shop!! I'll cut up the meat and chop the veggies as I put the grocieries away--this saves a lot of time later! I'll also make any sauces I may need, or at least get the ingredients measured out. The next day is cooking day. Make sure your kitchen is clean the night before, and that you have a sink of dishwater ready to go--it's easier to just wash the stuff as you go than try to face a lot of dishes after! You'll have to compare your recipes and see what can be cooked together(same temp, amount of time, etc.) I usually write it down so I don't lose track. Also, be sure to take breaks!

This can be a very tiring experience, so I suggest getting a sitter! It takes organization and a bit of planning, but once it's done, it's a wonderful thing! It took me about 9 hours to do it all, but that's less time than I would spend if I "cooked" every night!

And, I usually have extra stuff on hand, just in case I'm running super late, or just change my mind about what to have for dinner!
Old 06-05-2002, 03:00 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Regina, I checked out a book called 30 Day Gourmet from our library. I has recipes and worksheets to help figure out what you need on hand to do a cooking session. The authors also have a website:

www.30daygourmet.com

I haven't done a huge session like MrsManiac, but I will make a large batch of one meal and freeze extra. I have to work up to a whole month.
Old 06-05-2002, 04:19 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thank you and I am going to the library and try it. I think I will start out with a month and expand. Thanks again and wish me luck
Old 06-05-2002, 07:02 PM
FamilyCorner Junkie

I like that book! It takes the guesswork out of it. Check out the website--they have some recipes that are awesome--that's where I got the recipe for chicken nuggets, and my family will actually eat them lol!