Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Once A Month Cooking Whether you cook for a month or just double your dinners, this is the place to share ideas.

Old 06-07-2002, 12:45 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

MrsManiac you make me tired! I just re-read everything you did.

Today I browned 8lb of ground beef with onions (for Sloppy Joes, lasagna, tacos, etc), made salsbury steak, and twice baked potatoes. I am proud of myself and I keep giggling.
Old 06-09-2002, 06:57 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Way to go!! Just remember, lol, opening the freezer constantly to look at your work wastes energy. I started cooking my ground beef ahead of time--it saved SO much time in the long run!
Old 06-13-2002, 04:17 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Wow you worked your little tail off! I have done a little oamc, but need to do more. I like making breakfast foods.

How did you make the subs?
Old 06-14-2002, 11:30 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

I bought 24 small sub buns--I usually make my own, but in this case I had to save some time. I bought a pound each of ham, turkey, and hard salami(dh's faves)and two pounds of American cheese. I made the sandwiches, wrapped them in foil and put them in a freezer bag. Dh likes Italian dressing and keeps a bottle at work, so I don't worry about that part, but I guess you could freeze some along with the sandwich? I pull one out for his lunch the night before so it will thaw, but he warms them in the microwave, so that doesn't matter.
Old 06-15-2002, 09:49 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

GOT TO GET ME A FREEZER!! wonderful for you!!!
Old 06-21-2002, 07:09 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

thanks for the info!!!

I have never done oamc on sandwiches before.
Old 06-21-2002, 07:46 PM
FamilyCorner Junkie

No problem Actually, I kind of swiped the idea from Smuckers' "Uncrustables"--frozen pb&j sandwiches with the crusts removed. Ds loves them, but I will not pay that price for pb&j! So I just started making them and freezing them, and moved on to subs. Dh hasn't complained about it, so I'm assuming it works ok lol!
Old 09-26-2002, 11:54 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hi. Just started checking out the OAMC board and I was interested in making the subs. My question is...can you freeze the veggies on those, like lettuce and tomato? Or do you add them when you take them out?
Old 09-27-2002, 06:39 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

So Interesting!

I've heard of this idea before, but now that I'm reading it again, and am at home all the time right now....oh.....it sounds wonderful.

The only problem is that I suppose I'll need to buy a full size freezer to store all that food!? We don't have one (yet). Maybe I could try "Once a Week" cooking in the meantime.
Old 09-27-2002, 08:44 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

I don't freeze the veggies on them--lettuce and tomato don't freeze well at all! I keep a bowl of shredded lettuce in the fridge, as well as diced tomatoes, and put them in separate baggies when I put dh's lunch together.

Stargazer, you can fit a month's worth of food in your regular freezer--it just takes organization and a bit of practice. I can fit a "pasta meal"(spaghetti, hamburger helper, etc) for 4 into a quart-sized baggie, squeeze the air out and lay it flat. It gets trickier if you cook a roast and veggies--obviously these take more space. But I can squeeze our meals for the month into the freezer, as well as the bread(never lasts long lol) and sometimes ice cream. The baggies work the best for me--to keep the cost down, I wash and reuse most of them(the ones that don't have raw meat in them).

Once a week cooking is a good way to begin--it gives you practice for a big session lol!!