Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Once A Month Cooking Whether you cook for a month or just double your dinners, this is the place to share ideas.

Old 11-29-2006, 01:30 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Happy face Entree Exchange - Have any of you done this?

Some of my neighbors and I are starting an Entree Exchange. There are 5 families participating so we will each be making 5 entrees to freeze and then to trade with each other. An example would be: One person will make 5 9X13 pans of lasagna and freeze them, someone else will make 5 casseroles and freeze them, etc. and then we'll get together and bring 4 of our frozen entrees (we'll keep one for ourselves) to exchange. After visiting over some coffee we'll each go home with 4 different frozen entrees for future meals.

Have any of you ever done this? I'm going to buy the 30-day Gourmet book, but right now I'm trying to come up with some recipes that aren't too expensive or too complicated to make. If you have any recipes or any good hints, please post them here.

Thanks!

Have a great day!

Mindy

Unnecessary possessions are unnecessary burdens...Chinese Fortune Cookie

Last edited by mindybean; 11-29-2006 at 01:41 PM.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:59 PM
Nine Year Member

Sounds like a neat idea. I would think you would want some ground rules like no fire alarm dishes unless every family like them, any food allergies, etc.

Roberta
Old 11-29-2006, 05:36 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

This first one is going to be tricky because we haven't discussed it and I only know two of the other women. We're doing our first exchange Tuesday so hopefully there won't be any disasters. We may all decide it's too much trouble, but it sounds like something I'd like to continue. If we decide to do it on a regular basis we'll have to set some rules & regulations.

Have a great day!

Mindy

Old 12-05-2006, 10:21 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

We met this morning for our entree exchange. It was so fun. I made Cuban Black Bean Soup. I brought home - Chicken Noodles, a large Stromboli Sandwich, Stuffed Bread, a hamburger/tator tot casserole, and Chicken Sopa (a casserole), plus I kept a bag of my Cuban Black Bean Soup. Each entree should be enough for two meals at my house since my kids are little and don't each much so I really have 12 meals in my freezer now! We're going to have the hamburger/tator-tot casserole tonight. We all enjoyed it so much that we're going to make it a monthly thing. This time we each chose a type of entree to make for next month. Mine is chicken so if you have any good & easy recipes let me know.

Have a great day!

Mindy

Old 12-05-2006, 10:34 AM
Nine Year Member

I've heard of friends that get together and take turns bringing dinner on say Tuesday once a month so the other three families don't have to cook but once a month on Tuesday for everyone.

I think I would like to have food in the freezer for when you want to use it better than having 3 days a month could by another family.

Glad the first month went well.

Roberta
Old 12-05-2006, 10:43 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

This sounds like an interesting idea if you know enough people to do something like this with. I hope it continues to work for you. I also like the fact you cook once and have meals for several days.

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!
Old 12-11-2006, 06:40 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

We had another meal tonight from our entree exchange. It was an italian stuffed bread. It was wonderful. I love it when I only have to heat and eat!

Have a great day!

Mindy

Old 01-12-2007, 03:45 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Pinkie Winky

I've read about this idea in different women's magazines and I think it's great. A good dish to make would be baked ziti - basically just ziti noodles, lots of mozzarella cheese, and marinara or meat sauce, topped with more mozzarella. Depending on other people's preferences, you could also add some sauteed onions and green peppers to this dish.

Have fun!
~Melanie
Old 01-12-2007, 05:50 AM
Nine Year Member

Mindy, I'm curious on how the second month went?

Did you decide to use the plasticware that freezes and bakes and keep rotating them out each month or did you put everything in zippered freezer bags and have people use their own cassarole dishes.

Roberta
Old 01-12-2007, 06:52 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

We had our second exchange yesterday morning. I came home with 5 wonderful looking entrees again...lasagna, beef stew, beef stroganoff w/ a package of noodles, barbeque w/ a package of buns, and enchiladas...yummy! I made Mexican chicken w/ rice and gave everyone a ziploc baggy w/ some cheese and a package of tortilla shells. I kept one of mine for myself also. I love having six meals in the freezer!

Roberta, so far we've been using either freezer ziploc bags or the disposable aluminum pans. So far I've been able to use ziploc bags. Next month I'm making a beef dish. I'm not sure what I'm making yet but I might end up w/ the disposable alum. pans. I can get a package of them at Costco though so it won't cost much.

Melanie - the baked ziti is a good idea. I think my neighbor is making an Italian dish so I'll have to check with her before I buy all the ingredients.

We decided at the first meeting to assign either meat types or ethnic types so we don't end up with all the same things. It also kind of spreads out the cost a little since some meats are more expensive than others.

I need to go pick up my dd from preschool now. I hope everyone has a great day!

Have a great day!

Mindy