Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Once A Month Cooking Whether you cook for a month or just double your dinners, this is the place to share ideas.

Old 06-25-2006, 07:35 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hee hee a few questions, help would be great!

Ok so I am new to this, not cooking but freezing in advance. It makes me a little nervous bc I dont want to mess something up and end up throwing it out bc it wasnt good after being frozen. Make sence? Anyway I have read that egg whites turn rubbery after being frozen and reheated. But I eat egg beater omelets all the time, so do egg beaters (cooked) turn rubberey when reheated?? What about if I make a breakfast casserole with egg beaters, will it be grose? what about frozen bfast wraps.
Next, does anyone have any low calorie recipes. Today I am looking to use up 5lbs of ground beef. Im thinking meat balls, meat loaft, strog. sauce, taco casserole, ?
I already have precooked taco meat. BUT usually when I make meat balls of meat loaf, etc I add shredded zuccini or other veg. to them. Sooooo will that freeze well in it. Like if I make meatballs and do 1/2 with shredded zuc. and 1/2 with shredded apples (for sweet and sour mb's) 1lb total of beef, will it do ok?? Should I still add breadcrumbs to it if im adding the other things??
Basically I am looking on things to add to meat to cut down on a) cost and b)calories

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help, obviously I need it. And if anyone has any low cal meals that freeze well I would love it. I need them for b/l/d and snacks. I am a sahm to a 4 year old so I cook all of our meals, and its getting old. I feel like I NEVER leave the kitchen, cook/clean, cook/clean, cook/clean - BED. lol
Old 07-02-2006, 06:30 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

First thing's first, don't be so worried, it'll all work out - I promise!

Here's a pretty good site to get you started... Once-A-Month-Cooking

I no longer do this, but did at one time. Remember, casseroles are always a good choice. I NEVER had any problem with things made with eggs (I often made breakfast burritos with eggs, bacon or sausage & cheese rolled in tortillas), I don't know if just plain scrambled eggs would be good, but just make one and freeze it, let it sit a few days and then heat it up & try for yourself.

If you are looking for more ideas/recipes just Google Once-A-Month cooking and you should get tons.

Good Luck!!!!!!

"Look not mournfully into the past. It comes not back again. Wisely improve the present. It is thine. Go forth to meet the shadowy future, without fear."
~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow ~
Old 07-03-2006, 05:38 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Some Answers and Some Resources

Ditto to what Stacey said!! OAMC is wonderful IF you are willing to devote an entire weekend each month to cooking, cooking, cooking.

And easier way to do it, is to double or triple recipes you already are making, then freeze the unused portions.

About eggs - you can freeze 'em raw if you beat them up with a little water or milk in them first. In terms of "rubbery," yes they will be rubbery if you freeze hardboiled, poached, fried or other cooked whole eggs. Scrambled seem to work fairly well, though. I wouldn't try to freeze something like egg salad (or tuna or chicken salad if you put chopped up hardboiled eggs in them), though. Cheeses don't seem to freeze well unless they are already cooked into things. Certainly left-over fondue doesn't freeze!

In general, casseroles will freeze well. So will most dishes originally made in a crock-pot.

You may get some good tips on freezing from the Canning, Freezing and Preserving forum here on FC, too.

I hope this has helped just a little.

Cheerio!
Elizabeth