Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Once A Month Cooking Whether you cook for a month or just double your dinners, this is the place to share ideas.

Old 08-23-2005, 05:56 AM
Mystery Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hey Lifestar! Did you see the Frugality Corner newsletter today? The feature is "The Art of Freezing Food". Here's where the printable link took me!
http://www.familycorner.com/family/f...n/freeze.shtml

Looks like TONS of relevant information to this very thread!

To return to the Guess Who Game or learn how to play this fun game click here!

Who is our Mystery Guest this week? Take a guess!
click here to submit your guess!
Please remember to submit only one guess per day. Thanks!
Old 08-23-2005, 10:56 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
I was reading through the newsletter and thinking the same thing. How ironic that Amanda would print this to help us out.

I will copy the article to the boards later on so that everyone will see it. In the meantime, follow that link!!

Amanda, If you happen to see this, Thanks for info!! Great newsletters!!

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 08-23-2005, 05:17 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Tami, before you throw in the towel over the sandwiches, I would try making ONE. Make it, freeze it for a few days, pack it in the lunch (and make sure that day, that you have plenty of "extras" in the lunch just in case--yogurt, veg & dip, whatever. Just make the lunch a bit bigger than normal.) But I'm sure that as Mystery Guest has suggested, once you're using your usual bread, pb and jelly, he won't know the difference.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:12 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Oh most definitely!! In fact, don't even tell him. I have learned this over the years with my kids (and my hubby LOL). Are your kids back in school yet Tami? Here's my suggestion. Freeze a sandwich today. On Saturday morning, take it out of the freezer and put it somewhere where he won't see it so it can thaw out. At lunchtime, take it out of the bag and put it on a plate. Sit him at the table for lunch like you always do and report to us with the results. LMAO

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbszy
Tami, before you throw in the towel over the sandwiches, I would try making ONE. Make it, freeze it for a few days, pack it in the lunch (and make sure that day, that you have plenty of "extras" in the lunch just in case--yogurt, veg & dip, whatever. Just make the lunch a bit bigger than normal.) But I'm sure that as Mystery Guest has suggested, once you're using your usual bread, pb and jelly, he won't know the difference.

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 08-24-2005, 10:15 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
I will try it and then post back with the results.

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 08-24-2005, 08:11 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I froze a sandwich last week before moving. I made it with my usual whole wheat bread. I put mayo, my favorite lunch meat, and my favorite cheeses. I thawed it the next day and ate it with chips. It tasted wonderful! I would not have known it had been frozen if I hadn't known. I freeze bread all the time as well as lunch meat. So, I guess this isn't much different except for the cheese. What I will have to do in the future is make baggies with sliced onion, lettuce, pickle, and tomato if I want to add that in my sandwich. Then, I can just put everything in my lunch bag. I also keep those little freeze boxes in the freezer to put in my insulated bag to put my sandwiches, soft drinks, and anything else I want to stay cold at school. I am there from 8am until 2:30pm unless I have errands to run, then I'll be there even longer. Also, when I start getting students, I will be there tutoring even longer than that. The food on campus is extremely expensive! So, it is much cheaper to make my own food.

I wish I knew of a way to freeze soup in a thermos or something and reheat it in a microwave and keep it warm during the day. Any ideas?

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!
Old 08-24-2005, 09:52 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Deb, you can't freeze in a thermos and then cook in it. Thermoses are not built for that.
You could freeze it in single portions, thaw it, then heat it in the MW while you warm your thermos with boiling water (for 15 minutes). This will help the thermos keep your food hot all day.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:46 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Thanks Barbsszy. I think what I could do is take a plastic cup and measure how much my thermos holds. Then, pour the soup in the measuring cup to the exact portion the thermos contains and then, pour it into baggies and freeze. Then, all I would have to do is microwave and pour into the thermos.

I have another question if you do not mind. I have seen little fridgerators. Some have a top freezer portion and some do not. Many people with tiny offices use these. However, what I need is a tiny freezer of the same size for my trailer. I make a regular portion of soup, but by the time I get haldway through it, it is bad. Even though I have a large freezer for an RV, it is still small. Does anyone know where I can get a small freezer or even if they even make such a thing?

Old 08-25-2005, 09:03 PM
Head Moderator

DeBora, I just last week was looking for a smaller refrigerator to put in my garage and came across several very small freezers; possibly like what you are looking for. Home Depot and HH Gregg had some. Don't know if there are any of those around you or not.

Also check out these sites and see if any of these will help you out.

http://www.rvsupplywarehouse.com/pro...nid/200/page/2

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...d/16018778.cfm

http://www.gasrefrigeration.net/fros...in_freezer.htm

Good luck!

When I was young we used to go "skinny dipping"; now we just "chunky dunk"

“The value of doing something does not lie in the ease or difficulty, the probability or improbability of its achievement, but in the vision, the plan, the determination and the perseverance, the effort and the struggle which go into the project. Life is enriched by aspiration and effort, rather than by acquisition and accumulation.”

― Helen Nearing, The Good Life

Last edited by cat lover; 08-25-2005 at 09:06 PM.
Old 08-26-2005, 01:15 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Unless I read those descriptions wrong, those in the links are refridgerators with a top portion that has a freezer. One place was a chat forum and somebody else was having the same problem as I. He/she fished for more than he/she could eat that day and shopped in bulk to save money and needed a little freezer in his/her RV. The person who resonded gave a link, but it did not work. However, I got the name of the place from the link. I called the company--Advanced RV Products. I called and the gentleman that I need to talk to won't be back until 3pm (Pacific time) so he is going to call me back. I will keep you posted on what I find out. Thank you so much for the links Cat lover.

Last edited by DeBora4BobbyL; 08-26-2005 at 01:24 PM.