FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   Once A Month Cooking (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/once-month-cooking/)
-   -   Cooking Ahead - do you? (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/once-month-cooking/14962-cooking-ahead-do-you.html)

Amanda 07-15-2005 06:53 AM

Cooking Ahead - do you?

OAMC (Once a Month Cooking), or similar methods (weekly, every two weeks, etc) is a great way to save money and time. There are books, websites, threads in these forums, all dedicated to cooking ahead.

Do you, or have you ever, stood in the kitchen all day preparing meals to freeze and preserve so that you can eat healthy dinners each night and avoid the fast food joints?

The saying goes "cook for day, eat for a month". Take our poll and share your thoughts!

:sausa:

danstigerangel 07-15-2005 07:07 AM

During the school year when I am working full time, I like to prepare meals to last a week or more. Having an extra freezer really helps.

I also make things like meatballs in bulk, and freeze them in individual packs. The same goes for browning ground beef. I like to season some of it Italian and season some of it Mexican.

Have a great day.

Lauri

Teresa1744 07-15-2005 07:16 AM

there are some things that are great to do that way for instance summer veg. , spagetti, hamburgers if I get a big pack I will cook and freeze them then when I do gravy I let them sit in it and umm good.

barbszy 07-15-2005 07:27 AM

I picked "sometimes" but I don't do "true" OAMC.
I do make giant batches of spaghetti sauce (enough for 12 meals for my family of 5). Otherwise, I do a lot of "prep" work ahead, as I can, so that meal prep is easier on the day we eat the meal. I freeze chicken in bags of breasts, chunks (for stir fries, etc) and strips (for chicken tenders). The same thing with pork--a large pork loin is cut down into chops, chunks and roasts. Having the meat already cut as we'd need it, in the right size portion for one meal, is a timesaver. So I deal with my ingredients as I buy them on sale.
Mostly I prefer to do the main cooking on the day we're doing the eating as I think the food tastes fresher that way.

stellajean66 07-15-2005 07:46 AM

I voted no, I have never even tried OAMC. But I do try to plan meals a week in advanced, but that is always subject to change too!!! LOL

blakej 07-15-2005 08:23 AM

How Often I cook.

For meals it is 3 x week doing double batches of whatever it is for 2 days down the road and that way I do not feel like I cook everyday.
For the cookies and cakes I always make a double or triple variety of them and freeze the not needed so that is only once a month.
Great & new for lunches, makes wraps. In Canada we can buy packets of 8 and 10 in spinach flavour and tomatoe flavor or plain. Put lettuce leaves or spinach on them, only half of the wrap though but up to the ends, then grated carrots or coldslaw, cold meats, grated cheese, grated beets and roll up. Cut in half or diagnally and quarters or slices when feeding children, looks so attractive and they don't realise all the veges they are eating. :tong:

ethansamuel 07-15-2005 09:52 AM

It's funny Amanda that you chose this subject! I was just about to start the OMAC after we get back from our vacation in August. I know this school year is going to be busy so I wanted to give it a try to help me shop for sales and eliminate eating out as often as we do because of it's convience. I voted no because I haven't started yet.

Patch60hearts 07-15-2005 09:54 AM

I particularly do the oamc during the school year. It is immensely helpful with hectic schedules. I choose one day to do the planning, shopping list, another day for the shopping and some prep work and the third day for the actual cooking. Most of the recipes are more conducive to winter-cold weather eating. In the summer, I plan but don't cook because typically we eat more meat on the grill, fresh veggies, salads, sandwiches and such at this time. I also like to make certain pies and cakes that do well in the freezer all year around so that they are ready for company or for taking to grieving family or hospitalized family. Freezer meals are great for these times, too. Nearly ready at a minutes notice.

I also like to make meals according to when the meat is on sale like chicken recipes when chicken is on sale, ground beef recipes when it is on sale. I will take boneless chicken breast and just pour italian dressing or marinade mixes on them and then freeze. When ready to cook, they are marinading while thawing.

mammajigglypuff 07-15-2005 09:57 AM

I rarely have any luck with feezing make ahead meals

kimsmamaw 07-15-2005 11:11 AM

once a month cooking

I have cooked for a week at a time before (once or twice), but have to get a freezer before trying a months worth.