Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Once A Month Cooking Whether you cook for a month or just double your dinners, this is the place to share ideas.

View Poll Results: Do you cook for a day to eat for a month?
Yes - OAMC is a regular part of my life 3 2.97%
Yes - I sometimes do, but it's not built into my routine 21 20.79%
Yes & No - I have before, maybe once or twice 29 28.71%
No - I never have 49 48.51%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 07-28-2005, 07:56 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajrsmom
Thanks to both of you for giving me 2 different ways to prepare meatloaf ahead of time.

A meatloaf sandwich sounds really good to me right now since its almost dinner time and I have nothing planned to make as of yet!
Tami

I freeze my meatloaves raw also. I only have one loaf pan, so I line the pan with foil, form the meatloaf inside the foil in the pan, then I pop it out and wrap it with that foil. Then I put that inside a gallon freezer bag and freeze it that way. I defrost it and cook it like regular when I want it. I do the same thing with meatballs, freeze first, cook later.

Now, I am also a huge fan of meatloaf sandwiches. So whenever we have meatloaf, if there's any left over I slice it up and use it for lunches

I'm no pro at this, but I can tell you that enchiladas and lasagna freeze VERY well. I'll make a full batch for dinner and freeze half of it since a full batch will feed us twice. When I'm ready to reheat it, I take it right from the freezer to the oven at 375 for an hour. That usually does the trick and it tastes just as good the second time, if not better!

There are definitely some things that don't taste as good the second time around, but I guess that's based on family and your own personal preference.

What I'd like to look into is the nifty item that vacuums out the airs and seals the food in. Air is the enemy when it comes to freezing food! I wonder how much those things cost?

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 07-28-2005, 09:22 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

meatloaf

I freeze my meatloaves raw also. I use about 5 pounds of meat at a time when i make it. I have never used a loaf pan though to cook it in. I put mine onto a broiler pan. That way, the grease drips through. I make sure to add enough ketchup, worchestshire sauce, an egg, and a splash of milk to keep it moist. I freeze in loaf shaped blobs wrapped in plastic wrap and put into a freezer bag. When it's time to cook, I pull it out and top with ketchup and bake a bit longer, but same as normal.

"If you can't convince them, confuse them."

Harry S Truman

Old 07-28-2005, 01:21 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I chose no, but I too, make and freeze leftovers to use as what I call free meals. I am learning how to cook for 2, but things like chili and a lot of soups I just can't cut back on the amounts I make. Thank heavens for freezer bags for things that freeze flat! I have a very small freezer right now, so I need to save room where I can. DS loves to come home and raid it for goodies that he won't make for himself.
Thanks for the tips on the meatloaves. I'll have to try that.

If you are coming to see me, come any time! If you are coming to see my house, make an appointment.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:31 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Location: I'm somewhere between the Port of Indecision & Southwest of Disorder
Amanda,
Go to the FoodSaver website and check them out. I have one and while some of them are expensive they can pay for themselves very quickly. If you decide on one be sure you get one that also seals the jars. Check out the prices at Bed, Bath & Beyond, they usually have a discount coupon.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:13 AM
Mystery Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I would REALLY like to get into doing some once a month cooking! I will be checking here to find some inspiration!

To return to the Guess Who Game or learn how to play this fun game click here!

Who is our Mystery Guest this week? Take a guess!
click here to submit your guess!
Please remember to submit only one guess per day. Thanks!
Old 08-09-2005, 01:23 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Lightbulb Cooking once a week or month.

How about sharing some of the recipes etc that you use when you cook once a week or month, I for one would be interested.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:59 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I'd be up for that...or is it down with that? :D
Old 08-11-2005, 07:44 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I think that a good way to start bulk cooking is to double or triple a recipe that your family already enjoys! For example, if you like Chicken Parmesan, it is easy to make enough for 2 or 3 meals while you already have all the pans out, and store the extra. For Chicken Parm, I would fry up all the chicken at once, then put it in freezer bags in meal size portions. Then I would portion out the cheese into more bags, and have some marinara sauce in containers. On the day I want to cook it, I'd defrost all 3, assemble the meal and just heat until the chicken is hot and the cheese melts.
I'll be doing this sometime soon, as this is one of the meals we'll be taking with us on vacation.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:46 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I have found that any casserole or sauce recipe can be tripled or quadrupilded and put into several dishes to be frozen and baked later. I won't be able to do OAMC now that I am living in a 5th wheel, so I'll have to learn how to cook once a day.

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!
Old 08-11-2005, 03:58 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I never have made meals to last awhile...my mom has made one dish to freeze and keep for months though. But that is th eonly one. Really dinner is choosen that same night or th enight before..thats about as much planning as we do.