Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Once A Month Cooking Whether you cook for a month or just double your dinners, this is the place to share ideas.

View Poll Results: Do you cook for a day to eat for a month?
Yes - OAMC is a regular part of my life 3 2.97%
Yes - I sometimes do, but it's not built into my routine 21 20.79%
Yes & No - I have before, maybe once or twice 29 28.71%
No - I never have 49 48.51%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 07-16-2005, 01:25 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Not part of my routine but i do cook extra for the week etc. When i make meatloaf I cook them in bread pans and make 5....cool and freeze 4. I also do meatballs in the oven in big batches and freeze in portion bags for family size. Also make browned beef crumbles and bag and put in the freezer. Salsbury steak too.Sometimes my friends and i trade food. I'll make stuffed peppers and trade for equal amouts of stuffed cabbage. Or we will both make soup and trade by the gallon so we both have two kinds for two meals. Sometimes three of my best friends and I get together and divide the cost of food and mass prepare stuff and divide it up and take it home...I like this way cause it is fun. We made stuffed cabbage .cabbage,potato and corned beef soup. and fried cabbage and noodles. If we are doing beef we make potpies. stew meat cooked and frozen. and steak and gravy or stuffed steak. homemade chicken noodle soup. and stuffed chicken breasts,chicken pot pie - the crust(we add that at time). sometimes we make macaroni salad and picnic things like bbq spare ribs or stuff along that line for the weeks meals to share. Sometimes we just cook for the week and keep it in the frig instead of freezing. Chicken fahitias, Hot sausage or whatever. It isn't any harder to do a triple batch or more and we have so much fun doing it. Gotta say we have not been doing this recently. I will have to get the ball rolling again.
Old 07-16-2005, 01:31 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I, too, purchased an Ultrex pressure cooker 3 months ago and use it at least 4-5x a week and do not know what I did before this. It is an immense time saver and makes fabulous tasting foods. It also doubles as an extra big pot for the large quantity cooking with OAMC. The one I got has a second lid that has a steam release valve at the top but isn't a pressure lid.
Old 07-16-2005, 01:33 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Lightbulb

I think OAMC is great, but can't really do it on a regular basis-but I do incorperate alot of aspects into my cooking routine. I cook, drain, rinse and package most of my ground meats as soon as I buy them and package them in pint/quart freezer bags for later use. Buy lots of onions on sale, and you can chop them up and freeze them. Snack size bags are about right for 1-2 recipes, and I put the snack bags into a large (gallon+ size)freezer bag. I also like to make up meatloaves when I first bring meat home and freeze them for later-its easier to make from fresh than to thaw frozen and try to make them. I freeze them in containers sized to fit my crockpots and can just pop a frozen meatloaf in my crock in the morning for supper that night. I belong to several yahoo freezer cooking groups and have learned some wonderful tips!
Old 07-16-2005, 01:39 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
I picked yes & no too. Like many others, I make spag. sauce and freeze it but we like fresh cooked pasta too.

Im going to try making lasagna and freezing it.

Im doing better than I did before by buying stuff to keep our freezer full of food. Now let's see if I can take the next step by making some meals ahead of time.

How about freezing marinades and meat together? Does it work out ok? That would help a lot for me. Freezing skim milk? Does that work?

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 07-16-2005, 01:57 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Lightbulb

I usually put meat in marinade and freeze it as soon as I purchase it. As it thaws, the meat marinades and it works really well--there are also some great dump recipes that you can throw in freezer bags or containers when you make your inital meat purchases-just "Dump" all the ingrediants in a bag and freeze them. I use alot of these for crockpot cooking. I don't like pressure cookers-never cared much for the way the food tasted-and I also saw one blow up when I was younger--I don't like them, so I don't own one-I much prefer my crockpot
Old 07-19-2005, 05:10 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

It saved a lot of time for me.

Years ago when my seven kids were smaller and I worked part-time I would choose a Sunday and prepare a few casseroles ahead, as well as tomato sauce for pasta etc, but I only cooked for a week ahead so when I had to work, popping a casserole in the oven was easier than cooking for my husband. It worked well then. Nowa days I just cook for me and my 17 year old DD nightly.
Carol
Old 07-19-2005, 07:00 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I have a nice sized vegetable patch(yes, we are vegetarians). I cut and freeze the veggies that are good like that and cook (may be tripple the dish) and freeze the veggies that are not so good when just cut and frozen...
As I work full time and have 2 little kids (7 and 4) it helps to be able to just pull out a dish and heat up and use that time to spend with the kids and DH.
Just cutting and freesing the veggies itself saves a lot of time! Of course I buy onions and potatoes in the store and cut them fresh before cooking but that's pretty much it.
Oh, and I forgot, although my cooked dishes only last for 3 extra meals, my frozen veggies last me year round!

My FC Member Awards!

Honorary Members
Old 07-19-2005, 07:36 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Thanks Amberlane! After my shopping trip this week, Im going to freeze some meat with marinades.

I did a good thing about 2 1/2 weeks ago... At Sam's Club, I bought a pork tenderloin and cooked half on the grill for one meal and the other went into the crockpot for bar-b-que pork sandwiches. I also bought a pack of beef that had been marked down. There were 2 big pieces in it so it cut them in half. One piece became steak on the grill, one became kibobs, one in the crockpot with onion soup mix and one still in the freezer. Also bought a box of 80 beef hotdogs and seperated them into 8 packs of 10 dogs. We should have hot dogs for a while!!

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 07-20-2005, 04:33 AM
FamilyCorner Admirer

sometimes we end up cooking enough food for two weeks on one day without even meaning to! My father gets a little carried away when he gets the BBQ going. Before I can stop him, we will have 8 steaks, 6 chicken breasts, and about 10 sausages on the grill. Throw into the mix the 5 pound bag of potatoes and huge can of Bush's baked beans and you have enough food to feed an army. Funny thing is, it is just my father and I living in the house Guess he forgets somethimes!
Old 07-20-2005, 08:20 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I think grilling is a great way to stock up on meals. The coals are already hot so why not put several meals on to cook? When we smoke a brisket, we usually put on some chicken and maybe a few other things toward the end of the smoking time. Like you Daughter-of-Breezy, there is only 2 of us here. Grilling a enough for an army means cooking once and eating many, many times. OK, now I am getting hungry talking about brisket. I guess it's time to smoke another briket before I move to Las Cruses and don't have a grill large enough to smoke it. A huge brisket feeds my DH and I for a long time.

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!