Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Once A Month Cooking Whether you cook for a month or just double your dinners, this is the place to share ideas.

View Poll Results: Do you cook for a day to eat for a month?
Yes - OAMC is a regular part of my life 3 2.97%
Yes - I sometimes do, but it's not built into my routine 21 20.79%
Yes & No - I have before, maybe once or twice 29 28.71%
No - I never have 49 48.51%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:14 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

chuckle Cooking Ahead - One Day for One Month

I am the proud owner of many Ultrex stovetop cooking pieces, (an excellent HSN product), including a nice-sized pressure-cooker, a food-preparation/vacuum system for long-term safe food storage via freezing and/or refrigeration and a fine, medium-sized crock pot, myself living alone and cooking mostly for myself.

On occasion I find it adventurous to delve into a crock pot cook book, yet always browsing through various domestic and foreign cuisine preparations and receipe's which, through minor adjustments and incremental changes, can result in enough "extra's" to satisy both extra guests I may have and be entertaining at the time, or that I deliberately vacuum-seal the "overage" for meals to have for days and weeks to come.

With the advances technology has made in cookware, especially with pressure-cookers, I recommend any size Ultrex pressure-cooker, as their 18/10 Stainless Steel interiors and exteriors make for absolutely delicious preparations and reduce cooking times tremendously.

GREAT COOKING EVERYONE!!!!
The Shuster Project-Tobacco Industry Fraud & False Claims Issues
http://www.rxshuster.org/

Last edited by rxshuster; 07-15-2005 at 11:17 AM. Reason: taking out duplicate signature
Old 07-15-2005, 11:14 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I answered "Yes & No - I have before, maybe once or twice" because I have done it before.......when I was working outside the home. Like barbszy's family, we like the freshness of food cooked the same day we eat it.

I do, however, sometimes freeze some leftovers for later.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:21 PM
Friend of the Family
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have never done the oamc because I don't have that much patience! lol! I would like to give it a try sometime.

Tina in MO.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:38 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

chuckle "lack of "patience"" .. lolol

Dear Tina,
I fully understand how frustrating it can be, sometimes, being in a hot kitchen running from one hot pot to another or openning an oven door only to be blasted by what seems like the heat of the sun )
You should really try looking into cooking more with a crock pot or a pressure-cooker.
The first free's up your whole day, practically, and the latter get's the job done practically immediately so that you can get on WITH your day )
Good Luck and KEEP ON COOKING!!!
Robb!
The Shuster Project-Tobacco Industry Fraud & False Claims Issues
http://www.rxshuster.org/
Old 07-15-2005, 01:47 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I don't practice OAMC cooking, but I DO practice OAMC shopping.

I plan a menu for a month at a time and do all my grocery shopping at once. To be honest, I enjoy cooking and am afraid doing it all in one day would burn me out on cooking.

Tammy
Old 07-15-2005, 02:18 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I never have. I guess I should start learning how since our lives are getting busier and I have heard that it is also cheaper.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:53 PM
Nine Year Member

I don't do OAMC in the true sense but I do double and triple cook to freeze or eat later in the week. When buying meat I will buy for 3-6 meals and freeze in portion size for my family. I buy in larger quanities as sales and money allow to stock up.

Roberta
Old 07-16-2005, 07:43 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Location: I'm somewhere between the Port of Indecision & Southwest of Disorder
I guess that what I do could be called OAMC, but it is really much more than that. I can, freeze & dry goods during the summer as well as take advantage of the sales on pantry items and on meats, which I generally package in meal size portions with my food saver vacuum sealer and freeze. There is only the two of us, but I cook an awful lot for our church fellowships and for the times when we have someone down sick or if there has been a death. It is so nice to be able to go into my pantry and to the freezer & pull out almost any menu I decide on. My Dad's health is not very good and he lives in OK so when I go up there I don't have to worry about my DH eating properly.

Have a Jesus blessed day!
Old 07-16-2005, 10:25 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I could never get myself to spend a whole day in the kitchen. But I double, triple, quad some recipes: Lasagna, meatloaf, chili, enchiladas, waffles...

I LOVE it when I know I have a few meals in the freezer. I really should do more, but just can't seem to get motivated.

My kids got me a Food Saver for my birthday. I'm anxious to see how that will help with make-ahead meals.
Old 07-16-2005, 12:42 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I voted yes--regular part of my life. When school starts I will be so busy that I won't have time to eat on some days. When I cook meals, I double or triple the recipes so that I can freeze casseroles and meals (DH works shiftwork and I need to have TV dinners ready) for those weeks when I have major exams and other big things going on. Then, the rest of the week, all I have to do is pull casseroles, meatloaves and the like out of the freezer. This way, I only have to cut up onions, peel potatoes, and other chore work--once! I only have to wash the materials once and then the rest of the week I just have to heat up food!

I also do a lot of crockpot cooking. For a family of 2, a large crockpot makes 3-4 meals. I freeze whatever I made and then, viola, pull out and heat. Until it was mentioned, I had forgot about my pressure cooker. I guess I need to revive it.

I too plan my meals ahead of time. I plan for 1-2 weeks ahead of time. I also like to cook 2-3 meals at one time. Again, I only have to chop and diced and strain and etc...once! I wash the utensils once. Then, it's just heat and eat! The only thing that I cannot do way advanced ahead of time is salads and fresh fruit.

Next month, I'll start living in a 5th wheel travel trailor and will not be able to do this type of cooking for lack of freezer space. I don't know how I will adjust.

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!