Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Once A Month Cooking Whether you cook for a month or just double your dinners, this is the place to share ideas.

Old 01-04-2005, 04:41 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

One Month of Meals

Good Evening everyone. I am fairly new to FC and one of the gals on another post told me to start here with menu questions.

I have seen where some of you plan your entire month of meals before you ever go shopping. I want so much to cut back on my grocery bill. I spend upwards of $600 per month for a family of 5. That is just to much money - can you give me any advice on how you plan your meals for an entire month?

Thanks for all your help its really appreciated
Old 01-04-2005, 05:36 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hi Jackied39 !!

I have each member of my family sit down and plan out several meals. I make a grocery list from the menus after checking the frig, freezer & pantry to see what I need to complete the menus ingredients.

You might also want to check out these threads for some more helpful information:

http://www.familycorner.com/forums/s...=&threadid=449

http://www.familycorner.com/forums/s...&threadid=7744

http://www.familycorner.com/forums/s...threadid=12921

http://www.familycorner.com/forums/s...threadid=10706

http://www.familycorner.com/forums/s...threadid=10795

http://www.familycorner.com/forums/s...&threadid=9409
Old 01-04-2005, 05:47 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Also try this link to a WONDERFUL 3 page Weekly Menu Planner that was put together by a fantastic Family Corner member, ewriggs:

http://www.familycorner.com/forums/planner.doc
Old 01-05-2005, 03:32 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Abear

Thank you so much for the site information. I am going to check them all out. I can certainly use as much help as I can get

Old 01-12-2005, 01:34 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks so much for posting all that info! I am always trying to plan ahead but never seem to be able to. I find that most of the meals that I preserve are pastas and soups and I would love to expand my options - I think those links will help to do that!
Old 04-29-2011, 07:54 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Although my DH and I are a family of two, we just never know when family/friends might actually take us up on an offer for dinner at our place, so we buy all our meats, most of our fruits /vegetables, and frozen foods at wholesale stores (Costco, Sam's Club, and/or Cash and Carry). Then we go to Wonder Bread / Oraweat stores for our breads/ muffins/ etc, and weekly / biweekly items at the grocery store (Super Walmart if you have one). We find that by buying bulk food items we actually save in the long run (we also buy allot of dry products here as well, toiletries, vitamins, crackers, chips, etc), and then Milk and eggs can be bought either at the wholesaler or the grocery store depending on selection and amount needed (homemade vs 1/2made (just add milk and eggs)). It's also less expensive to buy family size meals at these stores (Lasagna, roasts, steaks, seafood, vegetable trays, cookies etc). We usually get about 2 packages of meat = about 5 lbs each, divide into 1 lb packages and freeze till needed, and you can microwave them for about a minute to start the thawing process quicker if you forgot to take it out the morning you want to use it, we also buy chicken breasts this way - more meat less bone / to no bones, and nuggets sweet potatoes/ french fries and tater-tots - again frozen foods... this way if you have young children who can use the oven/toaster oven/ microwave these are foods you know they can help prepare w/o cutting their fingers or burning them in oil with later (and they can be healthier). Mac & Cheese is bought here as well. We get the 12/24 pack boxes and "might" use two (2) boxes in a month, sometimes one (1) or none (0) but its there if we need it. You can buy noodles this way for other home cook type meals, and frozen 90% lean beef for quick burger nights or BBQing meals, save the 1lb packages for spaghetti, lasagna, casseroles, meatloaf, etc. The roasts you can either serve as roasts are normally served (oven style w/vegetables) or crock-pot it and make shredded beef tacos/burritos, sandwiches, etc Another suggestion is make soup a head of time, I believe certain types can be frozen up to six (6) months (homemade Turkey is one (1) such type), and I believe stew is another meal that can be frozen for later use... along with cookies and some pastries (great for when kids need to bring food to school for a party, and/or bake sale).
If you see someone in need of help and you can do something, then do something — that goes for people and animals. If you can help out, try. That’s what I hope people take away from this.” -Alex Scroggins
Old 04-29-2011, 10:18 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Wonderful thread!!!!
Old 04-29-2011, 01:02 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I usually sit down with pen and paper in hand and jot down 4 or 5 really quick meals for when we are in a rush. Next I about figure about 8 chicken( we eat a lot of chicken) meals. I try and add new things but always add favorites as well. I then add so many beef, pork and fish or meatless ones until I get 30. Every week I pick out
7 depending on what we have going and post it so all know what dinner is

Old 04-30-2011, 08:34 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Cooking meals for 5 daycare kids plus our family of 2 teenage boys and dh & I definitely requires me to plan ahead. If I didn't I'd be spending triple what I spend now.

I usually sit down with my calendar and my monthly menu chart and then go thru and mark days when I know we'll be eating out or the boys will be gone, etc so on those days I know I don't need to fix a dinner. If the boys are gone, the dh & I usually just have leftovers or a veggie plate.

Once I've done that, I take inventory of what I have on hand in freezer, fridg & cabinets. Based on that inventory, I write down meals that I can make using those items and write those on my menu calendar and the items that I'll need to buy to go with those meals on my shopping list.

Then I'll look through the current sales ads and see what's on sale/what I have coupons for and write down a few more meals using sale items. Then I'll look at my rotating sales chart (I kept track of weekly sales ad for WalMart, Kroger & our local store for about 3 months, noting what items went on sale when. If you watch, you will notice that alot of products rotate on atleast a 3-4 week schedule so you can figure out when certain products will be on sale again) and see what's coming up on sale. I'll plan for some meals from those sales, as well.

I usually try to keep at least 5 meals in the freezer at all times. Never know when you need an emergency meal

We don't always stick with what's planned each day..lots of times we will have leftovers instead and so I just move that meal to another time. I try to make sure that we have leftovers of our dinner meals and use that to feel my daycare kids the next day at lunch. This cuts down on $ plus time preparing lunch

Hope this helps!!

Pampered Chef Senior Consultant
Stacia's Kookin Korner

http://www.pamperedchef.biz/staciaskookinkorner

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord,"plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11
Old 04-30-2011, 08:51 PM
Nine Year Member

I pretty much do what Stacia does. You might consider using the menu from Woman's Day magazine, and consider a balanced diet to include:

protein (beans, meat, tofu, combos)
green veggie - 2 svgs
root veggie
yellow/orange veggie
citrus fruit
other fruit - 2 svgs
dairy
starch or carbohydrates

The food pyramid guidelines are still good, check out their website.

I only plan 4-5 meals a week as leftovers and surprises take up the rest.

Only plan what you know they want to eat so take a poll and also have them do a meal a week, moms need a night off too.

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."