FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   Once A Month Cooking (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/once-month-cooking/)
-   -   What are your HEALTHIEST OAMC meals? (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/once-month-cooking/10575-what-your-healthiest-oamc-meals.html)

Jora 05-12-2004 08:14 AM

What are your HEALTHIEST OAMC meals?

A lot of OAMC meals look delicious -- with cream cheese, butter, and mushroom soup, though, they seem high in fat.

What OAMC have you done that's healthy?

Our healthiest is still kinda high fat -- boneless chicken breasts crockpotted until falling apart, then add 1 lb frozen mixed veg + a brick of cream cheese. (Can be served over rice or toast.)

Another one that's probably healthy is made up in advance by our local Kroger affiliate -- carne adovada. It's boneless pork in a spicy red sauce. Probably no extra fat added, but if Kroger didn't make it up for me, I wouldn't know how. (It comes raw, and I crockpot it before freezing).

Vegetarian chili is healthy too.

What else?

Bilby 09-24-2010 04:46 PM

Spaghetti mince sauce (use any ground meat you like) with a bag of frozen veg (Food processored) or not up to you.
You can use it for lasagne, under mac and cheese (low fat), with spaghetti, shepards pie if you add a few extras.
Last night I has a bit of spaghetti sauce and added a cooked roughly mashed potato (no extras) rolled up in a puff pastry sheet and made sausage rolls, very tasty.
You can extras like canalini beans, more veg, have as pies instead of the roll .... that is my best and cheapest.

happymomof4 09-25-2010 12:39 PM

I take a frozen pie crust take leftover beef(ground or stewed) any kind of can vegetable(mixed veggies work best), worchester and can of beef gravy(optional). Mix the beef, vegetables, worchester and gravy together and pure in the pie crust and bake at 350 until bubbly and pie crust is brown. You can do this with chicken also.

MKS 10-26-2010 06:59 PM

Jora, when you cook the chicken breast, do you add any liquid?

Debwestbury 02-10-2012 09:21 PM

What is OAMC??

Bilby 02-10-2012 09:47 PM

Once A Month Cooking (I'm pretty sure it is anyway LOL)

Debwestbury 02-11-2012 07:24 PM

I was not getting that...lolo...I was trying to thing along the line of one pot meals...so are these meals that you cook once a month, or stand by meals...just so I understand before I post something that does not fit...

MKS 02-11-2012 08:00 PM

The idea is that you gather the ingredients and such for a months worth of recipes and cook them all in the same day and freeze them to pull out later in the month.

Debwestbury 02-11-2012 10:51 PM

The only meals I do this is with soups, stews, and chilies ... I would love to do more...Do you put these up like you would TV Dinners, separate plates for everyone. Or do you put items in food storage bag??

Bilby 02-12-2012 12:54 PM

Me personally I'd put a meals worth in 1 bag, heat and serve on plates/bowls.
I don't do a whole months worth but I do do a few meals in the freezer for later dates,
so handy when you can't be bothered cooking or visitors turn up and you've
got something home cooked you can serve fairly quickly