Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Once A Month Cooking Whether you cook for a month or just double your dinners, this is the place to share ideas.

Old 06-08-2004, 01:56 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Re: Ask and Ye Shall Receive!

Quote:
Originally posted by Jill P
I have a couple of questions about some things I didn't understand in your post. I'm confused about the "round cooking system" and the "rectangular cooking system." Is this codespeak for crockpot and oven, or am I missing some vital piece of info??
Sorry about that and sorry it has taken me so long. I have been on bedrest and not able to be on the cmomputer much so I have not been on FC in weeks.

I use clay baking systems but you can use any crock type casserole dish with a cover.

TX Chef Fran
Old 06-15-2004, 10:04 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Question Got a question

you were talking about doing a roast in the round cooking method. you listed the temp as 250 degrees. My round cooking method only has two settings high and low. would that be low?

Blessings!
Old 06-21-2004, 09:51 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hi, I am really new to this idea, and it sounds WONDERFUL! Have you aver done this with a group of friends? If so how did it work out, was it easier and more fun, or just more of a hassle?

Loving the tips ladies, they are so helpful!

~*It's okay to fall down...it's just not okay to lie there!*~

Old 07-07-2004, 08:15 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

My friend and I love to cook together! It is a whole lot more fun and is definitely worth it. Here is what we do:

1. We have a running list of things we have made. As we try new things we add them to our list and we cross of things one or both families do not like. When we decide to do a cooking session we choose from our list and only make things both families like. We are on our own on a different day if we want to make something the other person does not like.

2. One or both of us shop. We either go together or we divide up what we need. We keep receipts and divide the bills in half. We also keep a box at one person's house full of supplies that carry over...things like pasta, baggies, sugar, etc. These are items we both paid for but did not use all of it.

3. Then we cook! I tend to bark orders and she does what I tell her to. My friend doesn't really like to cook, but loves the benefits of having meals in her freezer, so this system works great for us!

4. Between us we have four children ages 5 and 4 and two 2 year olds. Before we start cooking, we have coloring books out, play dough, and some other game they only get to do on cooking day. They are allowed in the back yard where we can see them from the window or in the basement. We also set them up to watch a video, which is a treat for my children as they are generally only allowed one hour of TV per day. So this keeps them quiet a while! If we're lucky, one or both dads are around and can help with kid control.

5. We generally have microwave lunches for the kids and the cooks so meal time is easy, complete with throw away cups and utensils. On cooking day, the last thing you want is even more dishes.

This works for us! I love it! We try to make six meals and we tend to quadruple the recipes so that we each end up with 12 meals. Some come out to be even more, like pot roasts or chilli.
Old 07-17-2004, 11:21 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Thank you for this thread and all the information I've found here! I've been wanting to do something like this for a long time now but didn't know how to begin....I'll certainly be watching this column! Thanks again!
Hugs & Happiness~~~ Sweet Magnolia

http://summdaysummway.blogspot.com
Old 07-26-2004, 03:53 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

all this info on oamc is great

thanks for all the great info on oamc I am sure to be trying it
I have teen daughters that are learning to cook and this would be so much help!!!
Old 08-01-2004, 05:22 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

There are so many great ideas on here. I work nights and my husband cant cook, im afraid he and my son will starve. But with all the ideas on here im saved. Im sure he can warm up meals. I was thinking about going to one of those places where all you do is prepare the meals and stick them in your freezer then put them in the oven but those places are expensive and we dont eat some of the things on the menu. This sounds like it will save money and is a healthy way for my faimly to eat. THANK YOU
Old 03-27-2007, 01:46 AM
Assistant Moderator

I don't know that I could do a months worth of cooking at once but I like to have batches of meals in the freezer so will be using some of these wonderful tips.

Old 04-14-2007, 04:14 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I need to do some of this over the next two weeks so my family have some choices for the week I am away. I might try to double everything this week as I cook and that should work just right!
Old 01-05-2009, 06:37 AM
Three Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Great tips!

WOW! I have always tried to cook extra and get a little ahead of myself but have never quite gotten the hang of it (or my OH has eaten leftovers before i've had a chance to freeze them!)

With one hungry man and 2 little ones I will definately be trying out these tips to try and give myself some extra time for reading!

I am having so much fun browsing this website I cannot tell you!