Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Getting Organized > Organizing > Odds & Ends of Organizing

Old 01-13-2003, 03:51 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Help!!! I need some advice

I collect angels so this past year I have decided to crochet some but I have ran into a problem. We are getting ready to move so we are cleaning house and I have all kinds of craft magazines. As I have been going through them I have found some patterns for crochet angels. I don't want to keep the whole magazine but I would like to have that pattern and I can type the directions out but how can I get a picture of the angel? Any advice anyone has will be great because we are moving and I don't want to keep all of the magazines that I will never use.
Old 01-14-2003, 12:46 PM
BoggsZ

doglover, Can you just tear out the pages you need and put them in a binder that way you can get rid of what you dont need and all your patterns and pictures are right there in one place.
Old 01-15-2003, 11:56 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Pinkie Winky Hi Everyone!

I have been saving magazines and craft books for over 30 years now. So what I am doing is while I'm watching tv, go thru the magazine and cut out patterns with picture (be sure you get all of the pattern as sometime they continue them to differenet pages), cut out recipes etc.

So now I have them organized in a 3 ring binder, just tape them to paper and I have divider tabs that I mark on example
crochet angels, crochet placemats etc.

So when I want a crochet angel, just go to the binder to the crochet angel tab. I also have another binder Patterns that I make and use all the time: with the same idea

This has worked out so great and got rid of so many old magazines etc.

It sure makes you feel good to be organized.

I also have been filing my pattern books by author name and if there is a # on book to file them numerically. Yes, I have found some duplicate books, so I put them out in the garage sale. Great!!! After I get them all organized, I'm going to make me a list on the computer for my journal file of books.

If there is a special pattern that I want to refer back to in the book, I am making a journal also for that!

I hope this helps others to get organized and to get rid of clutter books etc.

Craftybear (Karen) Indiana
Old 01-19-2003, 05:35 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Lightbulb Saving Angels

Do you have, or have access to, a scanner? You could scan it into the computer and when you need it then you can print it out. That saves you from having any paper involved at all.
Old 01-19-2003, 06:14 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I have done the same for years with cooking recipes. I cut the picture of the dish out and then the recipe if on another page and staple them together. I use both a loose leaf binder and a file folder. And there is a box that needs to be gone through also.! I have boxes of old Bon Appetit magazines and that is my goal this year to delete those. Don't need the whole thing!. After I try a recipe it either goes into the binder or into the "upright filing system" depending on the reaction. I wouldn't wate time with hand copying or scanning them. This way has served well for almost 30 years.
Good luck in your move....a good time to toss all the stuff you thought you really had to have and get a clean start. I use those moves to get a lot of stuff to the Goodwill and other charities.

Lizajane
Old 01-19-2003, 02:20 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

this is to the lady with the crachet books if you are going to through them out please send them to me I crochet to I am 60 and live on low income so I dont have any books to traid you my address is PeggyJiland thank you Peggy

Address removed,please do not share private information here on the thread, send a PM, thanks!

Last edited by cat lover; 09-08-2016 at 01:11 AM.
Old 01-19-2003, 02:24 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

this is to the lady with the crachet books if you are going to through them out please send them to me I crochet to I am 60 and live on low income so I dont have any books to traid you my address is PeggyHiland thank you Peggy For doglover

Address removed, please do not share private information on the thread, send a PM to someone you wish to have it, thanks!

Last edited by cat lover; 09-08-2016 at 01:13 AM.
Old 01-19-2003, 02:34 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I've always kept my patterns in a three ring binder. It works better for me if I put them in page protectors or "magnetic" photo album pages to protect them. happy moving!
Old 01-19-2003, 03:02 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi preacherwife I am not the one moving it is doglover I was askong her for her books that she is getting rid of send you email to doglover thank you Peggy
Old 01-22-2003, 07:31 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I have a big three ring binder that I put all my craft ideas in. I either save a page if it's a full page or two-sided or put the directions and the picture pasted on paper and put in into the correct section of the binder. I read the magazine and then put it in a "to be gone through" pile. If I don't get it done by the end of the month I throw it out. I figure if I couldn't get through it by then, I didn't really want it. I haven't thrown out any in a long while b/c it helped to keep myself organized and use time management. I've got a great collection and use them for gifts throughout the year. I do the same thing with all my recipes from magazines. Another three ring binder for them, categorized, though my dh just bought me a CD-Rom recipe program that is great, but it will take me awhile to get disciplined enough to start inputing all my many recipes!

Good luck with you move!