Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Getting Organized > Organizing > Odds & Ends of Organizing

Old 01-27-2002, 09:56 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I am new

Hello, I am new here. I was hoping that I could get lots of info on managing my family and life working full-time. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 01-28-2002, 05:05 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hi Mrs. Bookworm, nice to meet you! I have moved your question over to the organizing board so that you have a better chance of receiving answers!

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 01-28-2002, 06:51 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Welcome Mrs Bookworm!

Why don't you tell us something about yourself and your family and maybe tell us what kind of organizing help you might need.

I work full time outside the home, have 2 kids, 2 dogs and a wonderful husband who works nights! I know all to well the challenges you can face.
Old 01-28-2002, 07:08 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

about me

I have recently (last 9 mos) went to work full-time after being a stay at home mom for the last 14 years. I am married and have two boys ages 14 and 10. I love my job (reference librarian), but my family is having trouble adjusting. I am having problems with dinners, they are home by 3:30 and I don't get home until 6:30. Also I have trouble not having time to pick up around the house. Any suggestions?
Old 01-28-2002, 07:43 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Oh wow how very much we have in common!

My boys are 11 and 15! They get home at 3:30 and I work til 6:30-7pm, 3 days a week! I get off at 4 pm on the others!

It took them awhile to adjust but they are doing pretty well now. I had to delegate jobs though because I couldn't do it all myself anymore.

My 15 yr old helps with the laundry and keeps the trash at bay.

My 11 yr old feeds the dogs and keeps the bathroom cleaned.

They have to keep their own room cleaned and we all have assigned dish night.

I menu plan so that on the nights I am working til 7 they can fix dinner themselves or its in the crockpot waiting for them.

My house is not spotless and they don't always eat the best well balanced meals, but they are healthy and they are loved! Aside from the general teenage griping they seem to be happy.
Old 01-29-2002, 07:03 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Wow! We kinda live the same life. We are doing pretty much the same. I guess I am trying to work full-time and be a "Mrs. June Cleaver", and trying to be too perfect. I don't feel so guilty now.

Do you have two boys too? I hear what you mean about the teenage griping.

Do you have any great crockpot recipes you can share?
Thanks for your reply!
Old 01-29-2002, 10:18 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Mrs. Bookworm has anyone told you about the site www.flylady.net? I have 2 boys 4 and 9 and I work full time 5 days a week.

She has given me tons of tips and ideas. She helps you get to the bottom of things.

Go into her site and take a peak and see if it is something that you may like to try.

My boys also keep their rooms clean. My oldest feeds the dogs and helps with the dishes. I have him help with the trash and picking up his toys and clothes.

My boys come in the house and go straight to their rooms and put away jackets and shoes before they go off playing and making a total mess.

I was able to get them to do this with the help of FlyLady. She is really helping me to get my house under control.

Jackied
Old 01-29-2002, 02:10 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Wow Jackied, thanks for the info. I will check the site out. That is one of the biggest problems I have with my family is to have them pick up after themselves. I have always done it. Now it is difficult to re-train them.
Old 01-30-2002, 05:11 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Mrs. Bookworm.....yes I have 2 boys, 11 and 15.

I went through a difficult adjustment period when I went back to work. I had to have everything perfect! I was so stressed out from trying to be everything to everyone that I almost made myself sick! I felt sooo guilty about working until I adjusted my attitude. I love my family and we still spend quality time together. Once I realized I did not have to feel guilty about working to better OUR lives everything started to fall into place.

By the way....just keep reminding yourself June Cleaver was a fantasy mom in never,never land.....oh Ward Dear....... she couldn't hold a candle to todays SAHM or Working Mom!
Old 01-30-2002, 05:14 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Mrs Bookworm, I had to re-train my guys too.

Try this.....

Get a big box and confiscate anything left out and not picked up at the end of the day. If they want it back make them earn it!

I get my car washed that way!