Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Getting Organized > Organizing > Odds & Ends of Organizing

Old 07-14-2002, 08:01 AM
FamilyCorner Admirer

Lightbulb Organizing Meds

It's been my experience that most people don't get sick or experience symptoms of the onset of an illness until the middle of the night. Like my mother, all meds had to be kept high, out of reach and generally in that little cabinet over the fridge which required a ladder or chair to access. During all of my most recent endeavors to declutter, clean and organize my home I began to ask myself questions; the same questions that professional organizers ask such as : Is this the most practical location for this item? Is this item accessable when needed? Were these items clearly labeled? My answers to all was NO when it came to my meds.

I began by going through each and every item and discarding the out of date items (keeping a shopping list of what I needed to replace and what items I was already out of that could be needed in the middle of the night). We have a couple of stores that offer two for one so I was able to buy one for immediate use and put one up for storage. In most cases I was able to combine the two into one single bottle by the time all the cotton was removed.

Next, I realized that we take all of our meds in the kitchen where a glass of water was nearby. Armed with this info I knew where my meds needed to be. Next was finding an appropriate means of storing these meds so that they would be easily accessable and clearly labeled. I found a clear shoe organizer and this was the perfect solution. Each pouch holds the meds for each condition. I have this hanging on the inside of my pantry door.

Asprin, Ibuprofen, Naproxen for Pain/Fever/Headaches
Benadryl, Caladryl, Calamine-Allergic Reactions, stings, bites
Immodium AD, Phenergan, Pedialyte-Diarreah, Cramps, Vomiting

I think you get the idea. In each pouch is a list of instructions on what to take, the frequency and dosage by weight and other methods needed to control the illness such as remaining on clear liquids for 24 hours and such.

Now there's no quessing in the middle of the night and the older children can easily take care of themselves if I'm not available without fear of them taking the wrong thing or too much of the right thing.
Old 07-14-2002, 08:11 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

This is a great idea, except I have a four year old. Maybe I can come up with something similar that would work for us (we have teenagers too). If not, I'll just try to remember it for when he gets older.
Old 07-14-2002, 08:23 AM
FamilyCorner Admirer

Make them shorter for upper cabinets

Julie,

You can cut the longer shoe organizers in half to place inside the doors of upper cabinets to keep out of reach of little ones but still accessible to you. Just a thought. I'd even considered putting it in my room where the kids aren't allowed when they were younger. You know what's best suited for your family. I'm sure you will come up with something just as great if not even better. Just use your imagination and it will come together.
Old 07-14-2002, 09:15 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

You know, after I posted my comment, I thought "I wonder if I could find a short one and hang it on the upper cabinet that we have the safety lock on--it's in the kitchen after all." Great minds think alike, some just more slowly than others.

Thanks.
Old 01-04-2003, 09:00 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Organizing Meds/Vitamins

Hi, I'm a new user of this site...and I want to add to your good ideas! I take a lot of meds for fibromyalgia symptoms and since I don't have young children at home to be concerned with, I can leave my meds and vitamins out. They presently take over an entire drawer in my kitchen and I hate counting them out every day, so.....I use a very large pill-minder with 7 separatable containers labeled with Sun., Mon., etc. each with 4 boxes (Morning, Noon, Evening, Night.) Once a week I fill them up and take note of those running low---once I've checked my permanent list to be sure I have gotten them all, I don't have to think about them again but can remove that day's container and carry it with me in my purse or lunch box (if needed that day) and take them at the appropriate time. I found this particular pill-minder at a thrift store and I have seen others that are similar.