Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 06-24-2002, 04:17 PM
FamilyCorner Admirer

Question Planner software needed

Hi Ladies;

After months of searching I finally found my planner only to discover this same wonderful binder that changed my life not so long ago no longer fit my needs. The rings in the binder are much too small and I certainly don't care to tote a full 4" binder around while I'm out and about.

I'm visually impaired so the Palm III that my son so lovingly bought me isn't working out. I can't see the writing on the screen. Dh has big plans for it though.

It's taken years of adjustments but I've finally accepted my visual impairments and now I'm trying to find the best possible adaptations to fit my needs. This computer has been specially modified for my visual impairments. All this time the answer to my prayers was right before me.

I need an organizational program that would allow me to do much of the same types of things that I can do in Outlook such as schedule tasks, repeating chores, seasonal chores, events, apptments and such but give me the flexibility to print out sheets to fit my dayrunner. All help and suggestions are appreciated.
Old 06-24-2002, 07:54 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Sidekick!

Oh, how I miss my Sidekick program! Sidekick does everything that Outlook does, but it can print out in various sizes to fit the most popular day planners.

I don't think they make it anymore, but I'll check around and get back to you about it.

Hold that thought ... I'll be back ...
Old 06-26-2002, 01:29 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

You might want to check into Calendar Creator 8 by Broderbund
http://www.broderbund.com/Product.as...&SC=0120056015
or AnyTime Deluxe 8 by Individual Software
http://www.individualsoftware.com/ne...t8_details.htm
Old 06-28-2002, 08:34 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

hello,
this is not software but i found a helpful site for organizing they have something for everyone. day to day tasks, monthly, yearly, seasonal, food shopping,
go to.... www.clubmom.com

take care,
tab
Old 06-28-2002, 09:25 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Lightbulb

You may already have what you need. If you haven't pursued printing in Outlook, you should check it out. Outlook is very flexible in customizing print outs. There are options for some of the more popular manufacturers like Day RUnner or Franklin, but you can also define your own. You can print your personal calendar in a billfold size up to 8 1/2 x 14 (legal paper size) --a wall size

I'm a real fan of Outlook. I think you will find that Outlook has the features you are looking for -- with the added benefit of working with your email so you aren't duplicating efforts. Plus I use Tasks on Outlook to keep me on track in routine cleaning, house maintenance, etc. It is great to have a gentle reminder on every Thursday (Friday's trash day) to clean out refrig of any old items

Spend some time just playing around with all the options. Then when you decide what you want to print, how often, how big, etc. go to Print Define Styles and define and name the style. THis way, you can use the same style everytime you print without having to redefine each time.

I also noticed at office supply store that Avery makes a kind of generic filler paper for planners. You might want to use that, but I find that I prefer to design my own--just using plain paper. When you have the time/opportunity, go to the office supply store and look at the different planners standard paper. Make a note of all the features that you use and incorporate those into your custom design

I used to keep a pocket calendar in my purse, I had a desk calander at work, and yet another family calendar on the refrig. Now I keep Outlook up to date with notes and appointments and the first of each week, I print out a Mini calendar for purse with just appointments & critical info, and a big weekly sheet for the refrig.

I about have the family trained to make notes on the refrigerator calendar (I have a space for adding upcoming events). So On Sunday pm, when I sit down to print the weeks calendar, I also add any notes, appointments, etc that have been made during the week.

If you really get serious about working with OUtlook, you will be amazed at the features offered. Youmight want to get a good reference book if you don't have one. A lot of the Office books, just give Outlook a chapter to cover the basics. THere is a lot more to it.
Old 06-28-2002, 10:22 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Yes, Outlook is very much like Sidekick. That's what I've been using since we bought our new computer earlier this year. I love the pop-up reminders!

I also recently bought an eBookMan from Franklin.com. I can synchronize my Outlook and my address book and to-do list in my eBookMan. Real slick!

I checked out Sidekick online - you won't be able to find a recent edition since it was last made in '99. There are a few still around, but if you have Outlook, don't spend the money on Sidekick.

Just my opinion ~
Old 06-28-2002, 10:58 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I'm not familiar with ebookman, what does it do?
This past winter I spent a good deal of time really learning some of the Office 2000 software. I have a huge amount of info in Outlook. I've even begun journalling there, tho not exclusively. The only draw back, and it can be major, is when you have computer problems. Whew.
I have health problems that sometimes leaves me in a complete fog. Keeping a calender on pc has really helped me. But I still depend on the paper copy as well, being able to custom print is huge help
Old 06-28-2002, 11:53 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I got a bunch of ideas to try. Thanks Ladies. I didn't do the asking but you sure helped me out a lot

Thanks

Jackie
Old 06-28-2002, 05:25 PM
FamilyCorner Admirer

Oh my ladies, this is a brand new computer with more bells and whistles than a freight train yet I just noticed that it does not have Microsoft Outlook included with the office package. I had Outlook on my old computer which was attacked with 284 simultaneous viruses from a Bonsai Buddy the kids downloaded.

My old Outlook was what came with windows 98 so maybe the 2000 version has better print capabilities. Thank you so much for all of your help. I will be sure to have it installed by Monday. I do have a question though. Why is there an outlook, then an outlook express for the email and how to I combine the two. In the old office they were separate as well.
Old 06-28-2002, 08:09 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Outlook and Outlook Express are two different programs. Outlook is by far the most comprehensive. You do not need OUtlook Express for email. I used Outlook Express for a short time and can see that it might be a bit easier to get started with than Outlook, but the advantages are slight.
I don't know if Microsoft ever offered a reason for why they named a second software Outlook; but don't try to figure it out! You will love Outlook, just forget you ever knew Express.