Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 04:24 PM
Assistant Moderator

Had to go to Maine again this weekend so tomorrow I plan on getting some things accomplished around here. I hope to get the summer clothes packed away and some movies/books sorted to be donated or stored. One small step at a time I guess. Then I can add another few things to my "to list"

[CENTER]~Mother Theresa
Old 10-18-2008, 04:57 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

I took the books to the donation dropoff so I can check off the first thing on my list.
Old 10-18-2008, 05:16 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Great going, apricot! And BONUS, you found that lost book!
Old 10-18-2008, 06:43 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Thanks Barbszy, My house weighs a little less too.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:45 AM
Assistant Moderator

Way to go, Apricot.

Well, I am making baby steps. I dropped off a huge bag of clothes to the Planet Earth bin and this morning I totally cleaned my bookshelves in the living room and am packaing away all the empty dvd cases. My dks have started keeping their dvds in large cd/dvd cases with sleeves which saves space so no need to keep all the empty hard cases. At least that is one thing i got organized. Now I am off to work on cleaning up the kitchen.

[CENTER]~Mother Theresa
Old 10-19-2008, 11:17 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Sammi, I like that DVD storage idea. I could free up a lot of shelf space for books if I do that!
Old 10-20-2008, 05:27 AM
Assistant Moderator

Barbszy, I freed up one whole bookcase and three shelves on another bookcase by storing our dvd's that way and made more space by getting rid of the cd towers by also storing our music cds that way too. Dh still keeps his on his shelves because he says "out of sight, out of mind" but the system works great for me. I found some very elegant storage binders for me to put my dvds and cds in from Amazon and they now take up only half of one book shelf. (and I have a LOT of dvds and cds)

[CENTER]~Mother Theresa
Old 10-20-2008, 09:29 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Sammi, I have got all my DVDs and Cds stored that way and I love it! It really does save on space. I also use a small case just for all my software, etc for my computer. If something crashes, I have all my cds in one place, no digging around.

I have completely reorganised my kitchen in the past week, got rid of a lot of stuff ( it amazed me how many margarine containers, etc. that I had! lol ). I also cleared out a lot of my decorative stuff, boxed it up for a yard sale. My kitchen looks much roomier and I can actually find what I need without digging. I love it!

My next project is to tackle my huge storage closet. It runs all the way across our back room ( 15 feet ) and it holds all my Christmas stuff and anything else we don't use a lot.. I may get in there and never find my way out! LOL My husband is a packrat and thinks he needs to keep everything. So, I will definitely do that when he is at work!

This thread is a good idea...all of you are doing a great job! We can encourage each other and get ideas. Goodness knows I can use some inspiration.

And God took a handful of southerly wind,
Blew His breath over it and created the horse. Bedouin Legend
Old 10-20-2008, 09:39 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have the kids' CD-roms in a storage book and my CD-roms in another storage book (not sure what else to call them, they look like books with zippers!) I have extra space in mine, but they have some more discs. I think we need to take a look at getting rid of some. They used to take up 5 shoe boxes, and now they are neatly in 2 books!! GREAT TIP!!

I am going through my files and putting all papers into pocket folders (like kids use in school) and indexing them so that they aren't in a "black hole" of forgotten papers in drawers.

Also have to work on listing some of my books on ebay!! My book closet is overflowing and I NEED to purge this!!
Old 10-21-2008, 04:56 AM
Assistant Moderator

I still need to get rid of some books. I am still packing away summer clothes. Hopefully this weekend I will get to clean our our shed so I can put away the summer stuff and move all the winter things towards the front. I also have things to go to Goodwill and a lot of stuff to send to the dump.

[CENTER]~Mother Theresa

Closed Thread