Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Getting Organized > Organizing > Odds & Ends of Organizing

Old 02-08-2007, 09:23 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Organizing Sample-Size Items

I love it when I get free samples of products in the mail! But I'm not always ready to use my sample right away. Then I find that they get "lost in the shuffle" of a junk drawer or shoved to the back of a closet.

Has anyone figured out a good way to store & organize your sample-size items until you're ready to use them?
Old 02-08-2007, 12:24 PM
Five Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I get tons of sample sized shampoos and soaps and lotions---my dh travels a lot and stocks up for me from the hotels. I've found that if I store them with my regular shampoo, I generally use them first when my other bottle is empty.

When I have way too many, I have a basket that sits in my towel/extra toiletry pantry that I put them all in.

As for other samples, I try to store them with like items as if they were the "real" size, this way I see them every time I open my cupboards.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:33 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
I wish that I could come up with a good way to store these little items, too.

I drive my Dh crazy because I have all of these little bottles and packets sitting on our sink! Seems like if I pack them away in a basket, I forget about them.

I can't wait to see if more people respond to your question.

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 02-08-2007, 02:59 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I have small baskets under the sink (in the vanity) and put stuff in them by what they are..l..shampoo/conditioner/other hair products..2..hair combs, brushes, barettes, barber shears, hair ties, bobby pins, etc ..3..deodorants, skin creams, lotions, etc..4..nail stuff..remover, polish, toe separators, nail clips, files, etc...when I want any item I can just lift the basket out and select without looking all over for them...
I read somewhere that all shampoos and conditioners are basically the same and you can put those samples all into one bottle and not have all the small packets around..it works for me...

Old 02-08-2007, 04:50 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I use baskets too.......for shampoo and toilettres i have a basket in the bathroom for when company comes so they can have whatever they need that they may have forgotten from home. I always collect the samples when we travel from the hotel rooms.

I like the shower caps because they are great to wear when you are painting...keeps the drips out of your hair. Or 2 of them work well to use as booties over dirty shoes.

Hugs Debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 02-08-2007, 04:54 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Debbie - great tip on using the shower caps as shoe covers! I just snagged a couple when I was at a hotel a couple of weeks ago. It never crossed my mind to put them on my feet!

Have a great day!

Mindy

Unnecessary possessions are unnecessary burdens...Chinese Fortune Cookie
Old 02-08-2007, 05:09 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Mindy....they are not free but you know the plastic glad covers for food.......they work good for shoe covers and shower caps too...my hairdresser uses them for hair because they are cheaper than the ones at a hairdresser supply store and she can wash and reuse them

Hugs debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 02-09-2007, 02:31 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I have also used the shower caps when painting...another thing that you can use the baggies for is to put them over kids (and grownups too..)socks before putting on their shoes if they don't have waterproof shoes..keeps the feet dry if the shoes get wet in rain or snow..
Old 02-09-2007, 04:44 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Margaret we use plastic bags in boots alot here especially in the spring when it is too cold for rubbers so the kids still have to wear winter boots and the slushy water leaks in. Hard time of year for footwear!

Hugs Debbie

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 02-09-2007, 05:25 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I stick the shampoo/conditioner samples in the shower stall behind my regular shampoo which reminds me to use them. I don't get a lot built up as I try to use them as I get them.

If you have empty trial size bottles you could open the samples and squeeze them in to cut down on the clutter.

I keep empty trial size bottles for when we go on vacation I don't have to carry the big bottles of shampoo. And if we happen to forget a bottle I didn't lose a big bottle.

The trial size deodorants & toothpaste I keep in the cupboard where the full sizes are.

Roberta