Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Getting Organized > Organizing > Odds & Ends of Organizing

Old 06-22-2005, 04:34 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Spring (summer) cleaning

I wasn't really sure where to put this, so will try here. I've read all sorts of tips on organizing and decluttering and have gleaned some things but have found that I have to work on a schedule and system that works for me. Recently I've been trying to get rid of some of the extra clutter. I've taken several bags of clothes to the Goodwill and taken some nicer small items to work and put them 'up for grabs' for any of the other ladies who want them. Then one lady takes the leftovers to donate to her church yardsale so everybody is happy. I have some antique items that I want to try to sell and am going to look into a consignement shop about that. I still have a long ways to go but have at least put a dent in the clutter. DH is a packrat too but he is starting to let go of things that he has kept for years since we have no extra closet space left.

Have any of you been doing Spring cleaning recently?

Laura

Old 06-23-2005, 02:48 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

We are having (my Mom, Sister & I) a garage sale the 2nd weekend of July so I've been attempting to declutter the kids playroom. They have way too much stuff and it needs organized again anyway. This week I'm pulling everything out and sorting like catagories into boxes (puzzles, legos, toy kitchen accessories, etc.) in the living room then I'll be able to go through each box and decide what to keep and what to put in the garage sale. I keep DD1's clothes for DD2 and then sell them in the local paper (max $35 for a free ad) when DD2 outgrows them.

My DH & I are both pack rats but I do declutter my things about twice a month but he holds onto things forever.

Roberta
Old 06-23-2005, 04:07 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

[QUOTE=
My DH & I are both pack rats but I do declutter my things about twice a month but he holds onto things forever.

Roberta[/QUOTE]

You are more organized than I am if you go through things twice a month.I try to do a major closet overhaul at least twice a year. I've had yard sales in the past but the last one was done on Friday and Saturday and I only made $30, so it is not worth it for me to sit in the hot sun for that. I try to donate things to the thrift stores or give them to my coworker for her church to use for their yard sale. Usually when she says they are going to have one it gets me motivated to clean out the closets. Their next one is in August, so I need to get busy.

Laura
Old 06-23-2005, 05:30 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

LOL that was a typo I meant to type "Twice a year"

Roberta
Old 06-24-2005, 04:32 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I always take advantage of the "end of school year" to really do a good cleanup in the kids' bedrooms.
First we empty the school backpack. I save any super-important papers and report cards. Then we check to see if any school supplies are usable for next year. Those go back in the backpack (if the backpack has survived!)
After that we get started on the room. I have them each do an area a day. First it was the floor. YIKES!
Then I will have them do their bookshelves, desk (one drawer at a time) and closets.
Old 06-25-2005, 03:38 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Pinkie Winky

I guess we all have been cleaning and organizing!!!! I am gettting sooo sick of the clutter!!!!!!!!! lol....we had a garage sale recently and didnt make anything either!!! but LOVE to go and find treasures!!!!! opps but then again....thats why there is sooo much clutter!!!!! lolol take care ladies see you again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-25-2005, 08:10 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Lightbulb Here is a Great Way to Get Rid of Stuff

Have any of you heard of Freecycle? This is a GREAT website. They are all over the US and I first read about it in People.
Basically, you just list your stuff you no longer want, everything is FREE. You can also post WANTS. People will come and pick stuff up.
I have gotten ri of old kids clothes, shoes, aquariums, vacuums and other stuff this way.
But, I have also picked up daisies, chickens, leftover yard sale stuff, and bikes.
Go to freecycle.org
Old 06-25-2005, 10:30 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Freecycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisylady
Have any of you heard of Freecycle? This is a GREAT website. They are all over the US and I first read about it in People.
Basically, you just list your stuff you no longer want, everything is FREE. You can also post WANTS. People will come and pick stuff up.
I have gotten ri of old kids clothes, shoes, aquariums, vacuums and other stuff this way.
But, I have also picked up daisies, chickens, leftover yard sale stuff, and bikes.
Go to freecycle.org
Yes, someone on another message board at FC told me about it a few weeks ago. I got rid of a broken lawnmower and got some jeans for my husband. I also got rid of lots of extra books. I did have some problems with people saying that they wanted things that I offered and then not showing up to pick them up, but others did follow through.

Laura
Old 07-17-2005, 03:08 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I am not insinuating that you are messy, but I thought you might enjoy this site. I haven't been to it in forever due to a tight school schedule, but it DOES have some great tips. Here it is: http://www.mymessyhouse.com/

I too am a pack rat and HATE to throw out things and keep them forever. I told DH to throw away a car flag this spring because it was very tattered and I had a new one from the fan club. Then, wouldn't you know, DGD wanted a flad like mine. I asked DH and he had thrown it away--like I told him. I go to this site when I need some extra inspiration and ideas. Good luck!

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!
Old 07-17-2005, 06:03 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

DeBora, that was a good site. Thanks for sharing it! My house can use all the help it can get.
I have a big pile of to do but my back is not happy with me today, so that will have to wait until morning.