Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Getting Organized > Organizing > Odds & Ends of Organizing

Old 04-20-2002, 10:46 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Decluttering!

I don't know how we got so much junk!! While packing to move last year, I got rid of tons and tons of stuff. Now, we have less stuff in more space (not including the garage) but it's still cluttered! Aargh! So I've been spending quite a bit of time clearing out closets, cupboards, and the basement. I've been making weekly trips to the thrift store to donate stuff--I have managed to get out of there without buying ANYTHING except a pair of sandals for ds2.

I have 4 sets of steel shelves that I'm going to put in the storage room in the basement, as soon as I can get through the door lol! I know a lot of it comes from not having stuff packed neatly, together, in marked containers. I'm working on that, too, as I go. I'm hoping to have it done within a month--dh is balking at getting rid of some of his childhood stuff--I told him if he doesn't sort it, I'm going to pitch it!! He's got stuff like model paints that haven't been used in 10 years, books that can be put on the bookshelf, etc.

Well, break time is over--time to head back down to the basement!
Old 04-20-2002, 12:53 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

You go, Girl!

I need to do this, too. My biggest hinderance is my toddler. All the stuff that needs sorting is in a room that is off-limits to him. And when I do sort it, my preschooler tends to take stuff out of the bag!

One thing that has helped me is to use the One Year Rule. If I have saved something, like a magazine article, or a knicknack, or a piece of clothing, and I haven't worn/used/looked-at it in over a year, I get rid of it! As for childhood things, I still have a few of those around, too, but I've thinned out that stuff considerably over the years. If I want to keep the memory, but the item is deteriorating, I will take a photo of it and then pitch it. If it's something I want to pass on to my children, I try to make sure it's packed well so it doesn't deteriorate.

There are some things that I will keep even if it's been over a year - like my applesauce sieve and canning supplies. I know I'll use them again - maybe this fall. But for everything else, I try to consider if it is worth the space it is taking up, or if I can just buy new when I'm ready to use that item again.

People change - I just got rid of a ton of my craft supplies because I just don't do that kind of stuff anymore. It was like watching a part of my life go out the door, but I've realized that I'm still the same person even without that stuff.

Kelly H.
Old 04-20-2002, 02:40 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi MrsManiac,

Have you read "Clutter's Last Stand" by Don Aslett? It really is a great book for helping you get in the right mind set for decluttering! I find that sometimes it is just a matter of getting in the right mood to be ruthless.

Good Luck to you!
Jenna
Old 04-23-2002, 10:01 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Yep, I've read that. Great ideas! I used to be a Flylady flybaby, too, but got sick of a million emails daily that all said the same thing! I still apply a lot of those principals, too.

What got me started being ruthless? We almost lost our house, and I was trying to pack as much as I could, starting with some of the kids' stuff. Then I started thinking..."If I have to fit everything I NEED in the trunk of my car, would I take this or leave it behind?" That went a long way towards getting started, plus I had a bunch of stuff that I had been saving for a yardsale(that was the first load to go lol!), and I was finally able to get rid of a few boxes of stuffed animals from my childhood, etc. Then I moved into the "Do I use this?" mode--I had an omelette pan that came with dh. We hadn't used it in the 5 years we've been together, so out it went. The same with a bunch of baking dishes, serving platters, etc. And clothes--I got rid of all the ripped stuff I never wore, and the stuff that was too big 'cause I lost weight, things that were too dressy, etc. etc. I also got rid of 32 pairs of shoes (THAT still hurts lol!). Now I'm down to the nitty-gritty(do I save the extra X-mas bulbs, or do they go?)

Doing this has made my life so much simpler--I can find the things I want easily. I am surrounded by things I really love, not just stuff that I've bought on a whim and feel I have to put out. Cleaning is easier, too, because my tables are clear, not taken up with a lot of clutter! Laundry doesn't take as long, and I can put the clothes away quicker because I'm not hunting for a hanger. And, since I donated it all, I feel good knowing that the stuff will go to someone that needs it instead of the trash!

Oh, I started on this little project while my toddler was napping, one box and bag at a time. It WILL get done--and it's not so traumatic when it's a little at a time. Like Flylady says--baby steps! The clutter didn't happen overnight, and it won't disappear overnight.
Old 04-23-2002, 11:33 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
You are my hero MrsM. !!!

What a great job you are doing ! Just reading your last post, you have given me inspiration to start really cleaning my basement. So much so, Im getting off this box and heading down there now. Ive been moving things around down there just making up excuses to save stuff......NO MORE !

THANKS !!!!!

PS......just have to add......32 pairs of shoes ???

I think I have 3 pairs LOL !!!
Old 04-23-2002, 07:18 PM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Yep, 32 pairs. I bought most of them WAAAAY back when I worked full-time at the mall--a very "trendy" store. I didn't have kids yet, and just 1/2 rent on an apt. So my lifestyle was totally different--I just couldn't bring myself to get rid of my shoes. I love my shoes--I still have way more than I need. About 20 pairs, including my winter boots and my flipflops (do they still call them that?). I probably won't replace them as they wear out, except for my tennis shoes, which are must-haves! I almost gave in at walmart over the weekend--I saw a cute pair of purple sandals that would match two of my summer outfits PERFECTLY! Fortunately, I only had enough cash to get the stuff I went there for, teehee.

I'm glad I'm an inspiration to declutter haha. I love stuff and collect quite a few different things. I'm hardly a role model for a spartan lifestyle lol! But I'm a bit pickier about the things I buy, and only saved my absolute favoritest pieces from my various collections, and now I am filled with joy when I look at my stuff, instead of seeing a dust collection!

Now if I could hust get over my desire to buy every new kitchen gadget that comes along...I'd love to try that turbo-cooker thingy. What a boon to oamc!
Old 05-13-2002, 02:27 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I need to declutter my kitchen, it is awful! There is one cupboard that when you put something in it you have to slam the door fast or something might fall out. Ugh. But school ends in a few weeks so I'll be able to get to it. The "I haven't got time" excuse won't work then!
Old 05-14-2002, 09:43 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

I'm still working on my kichen! I thought I was done, I really did. But I can still cut back on a lot of the stuff--a lot of it can go downstairs in the basement, once I've decluttered down there lol! I don't use all my baking pans at one time, so why keep them in the kitchen? But the spot I want to put them is taken up with kids' clothing that I'm storing for ds2...Aack! I should get off the puter and get to work! It's icky outside so today would be a good day to just DO IT!!!
Old 10-23-2006, 12:25 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I give things away to 'Life Line' on a regular basis if I can not find some one who needs hand me downs.
Every couple of years we have a big clean out and garage sale to declutter, I may not get much money for something but it's better than nothing and gets a new life.
Sometimes you just have to be ruthless!