FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   Occasions - Weddings (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/occasions-weddings/)
-   -   I need a wedding gift idea.... (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/occasions-weddings/6675-i-need-wedding-gift-idea.html)

michelle 04-23-2003 12:54 PM

I need a wedding gift idea....

I have very little money to give my dh's cousin at her wedding next weekend. Typically we give money, but I'm thinking I can save a lot if I can get a gift instead. She and her fiance have lived together for 3+ yrs and also got a ton of stuff at their shower a couple of weeks ago, so I'm really stumped as to what to get.

Any ideas?

shanstar4u2 04-30-2003 11:40 AM

Basket of fun

If you know where they are going on their honeymoon you can make a basket full of stuff such as if they are going to the beach, a towel and suntan lotion, etc. etc.
If they are going to disneyland maybe mouse ears.
Etc. etc. etc.

amyfontec 04-30-2003 12:32 PM

wedding gifts on a budget

how about a basket of goodies to make a favorite meal? like good pasta, sauce, a good sauce recipe, breadsticks, parmesan cheese, etc, etc.

MsJReg 04-30-2003 12:34 PM

One of my favorite gifts to give is a clothes basket filled with cleaning supplies-I buy sample sizes and small sizes of lots of different cleaning supplies-paper towel, vinegar,bar soap, plastic scrubbies,foil, plastic baggies, ammonia, baking soda, softscrubs, dish detergent, orange cleaners and my favorite cleaner which is at the Dollar General-for $2.00.. you can get Thunder Blast-it is the best. The list is endless of what to fill the basket with.

meritage 04-30-2003 02:10 PM

I really enjoyed the nice photo album we rec'd. You can never have too many of those. Also a nice set of champagne glasses and bottle of champagne are nice, or glasses with a champagne bucket. If they like wine, a basket of a few wines can be nice too without being terribly expensive.

mom2-4 04-30-2003 02:36 PM

i like the ideas of baskets, champagne w/glasses. Or cleaning supplies, eveyone can always use those!!! Laundry detergents, fab softeners. Soups, and boxed convenince foods. Go to the store and look around and think about what you would want in a gift basket, most other people will enjoy the same things!!!!

Karen

mjsjtjcj 04-30-2003 05:46 PM

I agree about gift baskets. I love necessity baskets....cleaning supplies, laundry supplies, bath soap, paper plates, napkins, paper towels, toilet paper, garbage bags.....everyday items.

Also, have a friend that likes to give the ingredients for spaghetti dinner.....brand name pasta, sauce, spaghetti dipper, parmasan cheese, bread (bought that day...unless they are leaving for honeymoon right away). If they have a bread machine you could mix up dry ingredients for bread and put in a nice jar. She puts all this in a cloth lined basket.

nagymom 04-30-2003 06:28 PM

Along the line of baskets--you could also do a nice bath basket--something they can both use during romantic moments. Throw in a candle and the champagne and you've got a very nice gift. Inexpensive too if you fill it from one of the many dollar stores. I did this for a friend going away on a romatic weekend and she never suspected it came from the Dollar Tree!

Jayne

Txchef_fran 04-30-2003 07:40 PM

I LOVE DOING BASKET GIFTS!!

I love making baskets for gifts as I think they are so personal!! I love making theme baskets. What I do is get theri gift registry adn get one thing off of it then go to Dollar Store adn get stuff to match it.

My girlfriend wanted these metal trivets with leaves on it that looked rusted. So I got it adn then went and got this weird rusted looking fish thing that you put a candle it for outdoors and some other items. SHE LOVED IT!! and loved that she got something she wanted and something as a surprise. She still cherishes the fish and no longer has the trivets!!

jolei 04-30-2003 08:51 PM

frugal presents

My daughter and I have started making most of our gifts and boy is it cheaper. (Except for the start up cost of buying paint and acid for etching - some of which I got on a half-price sale.) We have etched mugs, glasses and plates with acid and painted glasses with bake-on glass paint. We have painted our own cards by hand. Now, everything we have done hasn't been remotely perfect but everyone we have given things to has commented on the personalization. We gave a saxaphone player a set of glasses with his initials and a saxaphone etched on each one. We gave the dance teachers each a glass with "Dance!!" painted on it, (blue glass, $2, with gold paint). Package it up properly and they will ask where you found something so appropriate. The supplies we have bought will last for years and the basic plates and glasses, etc can be bought for cheap!
Good luck!ROFLMAO