Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 05-18-2002, 07:26 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Love Christmas and weddings! I'm sure yours will be wonderful. Since you couldn't take advantage of the after Christmas sales, just keep looking. Depending on your "theme" and how many trees you plan to decorate, check out the garden store this summer and fall. I love the idea of arbors. The garden center has many styles to choose from. You can leave them as is, or add grapevine (find this alongside many roads), lots of lights and my favorite frugal decoration- tulle! I find this on sale at fabric shops now and again. We have done gardening themes for trees and wired on tiny clay pots, silk flowers, birds, bees etc and used garlands of garden ribbon and grapevines.You can't have too many tiny white lights. Some places carry them year-round. I have visited places on vacation that have yearround Christmas stores, and in fact we have one in my town. Try to budget X number of lights each month and you should have plenty.ANother place to look for items to decorate with, if you have one, is Big Lots! I find many things there and early in the season, they have a fairly big selection.
Congratulations!
Old 05-23-2002, 04:04 PM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

All of these ideas are incredibly helpful - I can't thank you guys enough for both the ideas and the encouragement!

I spent today stalking through Michael's and stopped by Big Lots for the first time... I can't believe that I've never been there before! It's now my new favorite store!
Old 06-29-2002, 10:29 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Christmas

I am so glad that I found this forum. I also have a Christmas wedding to arrainge. My 27 yro. son is marrying a girl from the Ukrane and since she will not be here until just before the wedding we get to do all the planning. Candle's are all set. We have a friend who is a candle maker and he is making all the candles. We probibly will be able to have a friend do the pictures and wedding video and edit it so there will not be a charge there. Now I also need ideas for this wedding since the Bride will not be able to help with the arraingements we will be doing all of the arraingements. Thanks for all the help you have given so far.

Jackie
Old 07-10-2002, 09:18 AM
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Busy, Busy, Busy!

Wow! I thought that by keeping this so small and kind of untraditional, there wouldn't be so much to do...Was I ever wrong.

We figured how to pop the news..it's a spin off of the ornament idea: I found small photo albums, on cardstock I printed out our names, the date, etc. and attached them with little "photo corners." Now we're going to fill them with pictures of us growing up, with our families, us together, etc. We'll keep about half empty so that pictures can be added.

They'll be wrapped and put in the stockings along with the other stuff. I'm still making ornaments, but personalizing them for the guests and using them as place-markers at the dinner table.
Old 07-10-2002, 09:28 AM
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hey Hatvany...

Maybe a single photobook or one at each table would be a neat way for you to "introduce" the two families.

Best of luck with your planning. Lemme know if you need ideas..this is a GREAT place for it! (Thanks to all these gals and the moderators!)
Old 07-16-2002, 01:49 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I was going to suggest you announce it via a gift to be opened at the same time...like an ornament or pic frame with printed (pc, callig or kinkos lol) announcement. They could open them at the same time and after your mom's 'kill' you then you could move along...OR could wrap the Rabbi up in a big box and have a couple ppl open it. They'd be stunned for a few seconds at least to see him but then he could announce he was left by "Santa" to perform a wedding...and yea I'm pretty sure Jewish people don't celebrate Christmas but if a mixed group of family it could work. Leave air holes....lol (this was done for a birthday party for my gramma they wrapped my mom up)

I can't think of anything else right now...but lots of lights-all one color- would be lovely and connect the different rooms you'll be using...

I'll keep thinking...and congrats!

Mar
Old 07-23-2002, 04:58 PM
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hurrah!! I finally finished sewing & decorating stockings for all 12 people!! I am not a sewer, so this was a real project.

Wrapping up the Rabbi would be a real hoot, Marchelle! I don't know if he'd go for it, though, he seems kinda dignified. Maybe that would make it funnier....heh heh heh. Put the poor guy in a refrigerator box....

I almost slipped today: I nearly told my mother about the photo albums that I've made. I sure am glad that I can "vent" my frustrations & excitement here...keeping secrets is tough!
Old 07-23-2002, 10:23 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Congrats on finishing the sewing project...I'm inept at sewing big time...I have a machine and pcs for three kid dresses cut out but can't figure out step one on the directions LOL...oh well...ugh...

Well it would cover why he's there....literally! haha..and you've got some time till Xmas so shshsh! Just hope mom doesn't find you here!

Good luck...hows the other stuff coming along?

Mar
Old 07-24-2002, 02:43 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

It sounds like things are really coming along.

Glad to see you have finished the stockings
Old 07-24-2002, 01:05 PM
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks Shawn & Marchelle!

Marchelle, it sounds like you sew just like I do! Have the best of intentions, cut the patterns, & forget it after reading the directions! I tried the simplest pair of pants and couldn't for the life of me stop sewing the pockets on the outside of the pants!