Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 06-22-2002, 06:03 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I liked the idea of the recipes. What about a recipe book with family "classics"! You could contact different family members and get their in-put. I'm going to have to remember this one!
Old 06-22-2002, 08:15 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

If you can your own jelly, preserves, pickles or such, you can create a basketful of goodies (include biscuit mix -- small pouches can be bought for under $1.00 -- or bag your own, crackers, etc.) and include recipe cards for the "goodies".

Another thing you can do is start a family tree scrapbook by collecting information and pictures from other family members. This could also be used as a bridal shower idea. Paste the pictures in a scrapbook with the person's family information. Maybe the recepient is not into genealogy at the time given, but eventually may want to know about their families' history. How nice it would be to already have a good start.

Charlene, mother to five

When God closes a door, somewhere he opens a window.
Old 06-23-2002, 05:42 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I have made some "real" cookbooks for the weddings and showers I've attended over the past year. Niether of the women were cooks, so I took all my tried and true recipes and put them into word. Then I added graphics here and there and personalized the cover with their name on it in the colors of their kitchen. For my cousin, a added a special section of family recipes. The part that both ladies liked best was the tips section. Like helps I've found to be invaluable. I put in in a regular binder and painted it to match their tastes and colors. I also added an usual kitchen item that one might need but not have or get. A garlic press or something like that and their own personalized recipe cards so they can add to it. I also e-mail them new pages from time to time to add on and they love it b/c it's a gift that keeps on giving!

I love the gift basket idea!
Old 06-23-2002, 07:09 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

chuckle

Everyone has had so many good ideas for wedding presents. I will be having a son get married this year and I think many of the ideas will be great for him and his bride.

I will be making canisters of mixes and a recipe book of recipes from the family and for the mixes. I hope his bride will like it. She is from the Ukrane and I am not sure what they give as wedding gifts over there.

Jackie s
Old 06-23-2002, 07:13 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Lightbulb wedding gifts

hello.

my fav gifts ideas for weddings are:

1. picture frames

2. photo albums

3. wreaths-find out their taste of decor first.

4. candle gift sets or holders

5. water fountain

6. romantic gift basket for two - again find out their preferences first-whether sweets,coffees,liquors,bath items for two,cheese & snacks, etc.

7. perhaps christmas ornament set-keepsake ornament (1st christmas-lenox etc.)

8. gift certificate to fav store

hope some of these ideas help.
sincerely-sheila ann anderson
Old 06-23-2002, 08:00 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I had a friend who owned a video camera and took a video of my wedding....then she put the video into a decorated video box (instead of the plain one that they come in) she added an 8 x 10 frame with a wonderful enlarged photo of my husband & I that she took with her regular camera plus a small white photo album filled with the rest of the pictures she took. Even if there is a professional photographer this is a nice addition. Lots of the photos were things the photographer doesn't capture.If you are lucky enough to live where they have the dollar stores (the one where everything in the store is a dollar) you can find lots of really nice things for baskets. For a shower we got the cut glass champagn flutes, etched them with the bride on one and groom on other one, decorated the stem with tiny rosebuds, a sprig of green and ribbon to match her colors. Also decorated a plain white journal for a guestbook at the wedding with a pen. Much cheaper than the ones you buy and better looking.shari
Old 06-24-2002, 06:40 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Frugal gift for two

When my husband and I were married fourteen years ago we had both had our own apartments and so much of what we were given as gifts was lovely, but redundant. The two gifts that really stick out were a Christmas tree skirt (it really stuck out at a May wedding!) and a gift basket filled with tennis balls, golf balls, fishing lures, etc. from our best man. At the time that one seemed crazy, but he knew us so well, and those were things we really used and which our newlywed budget didn't have a lot of extras for. Now, I stock up at every after Christmas sale on gifts to give new brides...a basket full of holiday decorations is very welcome, and tends to be something people put off buying for themselves. I also watch the sales to see what fits the bridal couples' personality and will stick something like a few video rentals, free coffee coupons, or racketballs! Have fun filling your basket.
Old 06-26-2002, 11:56 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

WEDDING GIFTS ;)

WOW ! WHAT GREAT IDEAS EVERYONE CAME UP WITH !
FOR FAMILY AND SPECIAL PEOPLE , I LIKE TO MAKE THEIR GIFT .
SOME OF WHAT I HAVE DONE WAS THE PHOTO ALBUM , LARGE AND A SMALL ONE , FOR TAKING AROUND AFTER THEIR PHOTOS ARE BACK !
I ALSO HAVE MADE THE COMPLETE SET OF THINGS YOU NEED AT WEDDINGS . AND THESE GIFTS YOU WOULD GIVE THEM NATURALLY BEFORE THE EVENT . A MONEY BAG , WEDDING SIGN-IN BOOK WITH FEATHER PEN AND HOLDER -
GARTERS - BRIDE AND GROOM TEDDY BEARS OR DOLLS - TABLE ARRANGEMENTS, FAVORS , T-SHIRTS FOR BRIDAL PARTY AND A VEIL CAPS
FOR THE BRIDE , DANCE SNEAKERS AND MEMORY BOX .
THERE ARE MANY OTHER THINGS YOU CAN DO LIKE A BIG CANDLE WITH THEIR INVITATION ON IT ,THESE ARE FAIRLY EASY TO DECORATE . THE WEDDING CHAPEL CANDLES ,
I STILL LOVE THE CROSS STITCH WITH THEIR NAMES AND DATE ON IT AND THE COOK BOOK IDEARS THE BEST ! PLEASE, FORGIVE ANY ERRORS.... I AM OVER TIRED ! LOL OH YOU COULD ALSO MAKE A QUILT OR AFGHAN ! GOOD MORNING !!
Old 06-27-2002, 09:53 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Lightbulb instant photo album

Something special my cousins did for each others' weddings...

Get an instant camera and photo album and take pictures at the shower, before, during, and after the wedding, at the reception. Have one or two small photo albums (the kind with one packet per page), and put the pictures in as you take them.
Give this to the bride and groom before they leave!

How many newly-weds get to take wedding pictures with them on their honeymoon?? Our one cousin showed them to everyone they met on their honeymoon trip, and people were so impressed!

I see these kind of albums at the dollar stores all the time. You could even personalize the album(s) in advance.

To make it even more special, you could buy the camera new and also give that to them, with some extra film and albums, for their honeymoon.
Old 06-29-2002, 12:04 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

blushing Honeymoon Bubblebath Basket

My favorite wedding gift to give is what I call a 'Honeymoon Bubblebath Basket'. I include two wineglasses, wine or sparkling apple cider, candles, matches, bubblebath, chocolate to feed eachother, a tape of romantic music, a loofah and maybe some lotion!
Very romantic!;-)

Last edited by Thriftstorjunky; 06-29-2002 at 12:06 PM.