Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Holidays & Occasions > Occasions > Weddings, Showers, & Anniversaries > Occasions - Weddings

Old 09-22-2002, 07:20 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Question Frugal Wedding Ideas????

Has anyone out there decided to make their own wedding invitations?? Was it less expensive than ordering premade? I'm kicking around the idea since my fiance and I are on a tight budget. We'll need 100-125 invitations and I'm willing to put time into making them if anyone has any tips. I can also use any frugal tips for planning a wedding (mostly the reception). PLEASE HELP!!!
Old 09-23-2002, 04:50 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

There are so many books out on this. You would be Amazed! First the library must have a bunch, not to mention the books store. But, I saw some mags about it at AC Moore last week. the craft store usually have a lot of ideas and books on it, because they sell a lot of the items to make wedding cakes, head peices, floral arrangments, and ceneterpieces. In my family, all my sisters did there own weddings this way. Had the reception outside, and catered it themselves. My mother made 2 of my sisters wedding gowns, one was very fancy, one was simple. I married an Italian, so, my wedding was anything but frugal. You know, the HUGE Italian wedding. I spent more on my dress then my sisters did there whole wedding. (My mom was to sick to make my dress) But, I was there and helped them plan theirs, if you have any questions, I might have an idea. I thought this was a great idea, for the wedding favors, my one sister got little decorative frames from the dollaar store, 2/100, and hand wrote where the couple was sitting and a little thank you from her and her new husband. They kept the frame as a favor, and a thanks you as well. My other sister bought real champane flutes, which I found for $2.00 for 6, wrapped them in ribbon and set them on the table. Not only did the toast sound great, but this also was the favor for the wedding. My sister made her vail for about 12.00, I am embarrased to say I paid over 350.00 for mine.
I hope I can help you, in a way I was unable to help myself!
Old 09-30-2002, 05:19 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Lightbulb

Just this past week, I was married, being a senior citizen, we still enjoyed our frugal western style wedding. Intended for it to be held on our rustic deck, due to inclement weather the ceremony was held in the kitchen/living room. Reception held in a quansit shed, which was completely decorated with western blankets, seats from old machinery, and dried wild flowers. The food was catered by me, cake and refreshments of chokecherrry wine were all enjoyed. Planning your wedding is exciting, being a frugal gal myself, a gathering such as this can still be expensive , but hope you enjoy !
Best wishes to you
Old 09-30-2002, 05:25 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Got carried away talking about my wedding, but for invitations I used Hallmark stationary which had a farm scene as the background, this was very inexpensive, and I printed my own wording on them , had many compliments on them.
Old 09-30-2002, 05:29 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

blushing Frugal Wedding

Hi There: I got married 5 years ago and had the PERFECT wedding on a budget. I went to an art supply store and bought handmade paper for the invitations. Being handmade I had to inspect each piece, but it was worth it. We then used a caligraphy type from the computer. I believe we used the "Publisher" program, but you could use "Word" or many others. Anyway, we printed the invitations ourselves and they were gorgeous! I bought my dress from a small dress maker, who bought out a bridal shop. I got a $400 lace dress for $160 with alterations. We had an afternoon tea for the reception in a lovely Victorian syle Inn in the next town. Place settings were in small pewter picture frames (to be used later for a picture of our wedding) also printed on our computer on a nice parchment paper. We honeymooned in Montreal where our money was worth 35% more than it is here and felt like royalty. I still get compliments and questions on doing our wedding. I wanted a semi-formal wedding with the special feel, but not all the stress or expense. It was perfect. Have fun. Sharon
Old 09-30-2002, 05:29 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Frugal Weddings

You can do your own invitations without much difficulty. You can buy good paper/card stock most anyplace and if you have a computer you do your own invitation layout. I wanted color inking and if you don't want to use up your entire ink cartridge you can take your stock and a disc with your invitation file and visit your local copy/printing place (we have Kinko's here and they do a good job). If you look in your yellow pages and call ahead they can tell you cost and what format to bring the disc in. It saves you alot of money that way. I liked the fancy foil envelopes and purchased those separately through a mail order company to save cost.

The wedding itself can be very simple to save money without losing elegance. You need to start asking your friends and have your mom and your aunts or whomever, ask their friends. We have a little cluster of ladies at our church who each handle a different part of the wedding. One lady does the decorations and she uses bows and tule and green ivy and makes things look gorgeous. She buys at discount stores and dollar stores for her supplies. The food is usually a combination of efforts of several ladies or you can do what I did, which was punch and cake (a dessert reception) and we added fruit and cheeses to give variety for those who were diabetic. I did spend a little money on flowers - but I purchased only fresh flowers for my bouquet, my matron of honor and corsages for Mom/grandmoms and boutineers for hubby/best man and groomsmans, etc. I only spent $160 and that was for all of them - very simple, very nice.

My gown I got from JCPenney's, right out of the catalog. I have noticed, however, that alot of thrift stores have bridal gowns - you can call around to them and see what they have before making a trip over to look at them. Check out the second hand stores in the "most expensive neighborhoods" for some really good deals on very expensive gowns.

I know the cake is a big expense and this may sound strange, but Wal-Mart does do wedding cakes and they are about the cheapest around unless you know someone who does them. I do them for the gals in our church that serve in ministry as my gift to them, or I charge them just the cost of it to help them out.

We did have a photographer, a local one whom I had come and do photos. I had him come and do the picures at the church and then at the reception. We cut the cake fairly early at the reception so his time was not that much and I relied on other peoples snapshots for the remainder of the reception. It kept the bill down. We have a lady in our church who does photography and she will take pictures for a flat fee if you provide her with the film. You can probably find someone to do the same for you.

Music - well a boom box and someone to keep the CDs playing works good, but if you want the traditional first dance and all that jazz - then you'll want to get a D.J. who can be the master of ceremony as well.

I didn't do party favors or thank you's at the wedding. I did a thank you note on my computer and printed them up and left them at the reception site for people to take if they wanted. I did purchase from a mail order company that does wedding stuff - glasses for our toast and cake cutting utensils, both engraved with our names and the wedding date. I also purchased printed napkins - just because I really wanted them. Look online for wedding items and you'll be amazed what is out there.

And like I said - start asking around. You would be amazed at what people have or what they can do and it's more fun to get involved that way. Make sure you are involved as well. Don't ask someone to do your decorating for you and then not help with it, unless they ask you not to anyway. You don't want to offend the people who help you.

Good luck!

Shelly
Old 09-30-2002, 05:53 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Another good idea is to do the music yourself for the wedding and reception. There are a lot of wedding sites out there that offer list of wedding music for just about every type of wedding and reception. Just do a search for weddings and you will be blasted by them. Actually that is what I always give as a wedding gift, Music. You will save the cost of either a profession DJ or band to play the reception. It also allows you to set the complete theme of your reception through music and will show both of your unique tastes. And you can still do the first dance and other dances. It takes a bit more work because you need to get someone from either the wedding party or family to help with the music but it sure saves on the extra expense. Money that you can always spend on the honeymoon.

Oh, and make sure you get to hear your organist or pianist before a day before the wedding at the rehearsal. You don't want you wedding music played off key or crashing through your ceremony. I've seen this happen more than once and the brides were always mortified. If you have any questions about wedding music or reception music, just ask. I will be glad to help.
Old 09-30-2002, 06:00 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I cut corners everywhere I could for my wedding. Our wedding date was set for Feb. 16 so I made my own invitations with a Valentine feel. They were very simple and inexpensive to make. I priced every reception hall and found that I could rent our local art center for a quarter of the price of the local halls. It was beautiful, simple, and elegant. Check around everywhere - most places will be willing to rent out for a reception. I made all of the food for the reception the day before. It was nice because the art center let me set up the day before and they had a kitchen where I could store my food and flowers. I purchased some of my flowers from a florist and put together my own centerpieces for tables. For my bouquets, flroal arrangements, boutinnieres, and corsages I had the Career Technology Center Horticulture dept. do those. You would not believe the savings with that. My wedding cake was purchased by my sister as a gift. You and your wedding party can have your makeup done for free by an Avon Beauty Advisor. It makes it nice because then you don't have to go anywhere - she can come to you. I hope these tips help you and if you would like more info, you can e-mail me.
Old 09-30-2002, 11:55 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

inexpensive wedding invitations

For my daughter's invitations we got special paper & just printed them on the computer. We used fancy paper scissors to sculp the edge of the first sheet. The envelopes were puchased at Office max- then a rose was printed on the edge to make it look fancier. She got glitter pens and highlighted the cards. They really were very pretty.
For favors my neice used a plastic spoon,2 Hershey kisses and netting with a small card tied on that said
"A spoon ful of kisses from the new Mr. and Mrs. then their name and date" . She used the fancy scissors on the edges of the cards and a hole punch shaped like a heart. One recent wedding instead of the bridesmaids carrying flowers they had candles. I would not cut down on the food. Went to one wedding and they only had finger food and everyone had to leave early just to go get something to eat. We all sat around wondering when the real food was coming. Younger kids were getting cranky and it really was not what we are accustomed to doing. Good Luck!
Old 09-30-2002, 03:18 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I had a very frugal wedding last year and it was great! Printed my own invitations using MSWord and used card stock from an on-line stationary supply place. You can save a lot of money by just cutting out the frilly stuff that no one will miss anyway. For my reception centerpieces I went to Home Depot and bought some white impatiens and planted them in clay pots (I painted the pots with my wedding colors – red, white and blue). The day after the wedding I planted them in the garden and we enjoyed them all summer. Instead of a guest book, I rubber stamped 3x5 cards and left them out next to a basket (my magazine basket from the living room decorated with a bow) with instructions for people to sign the cards and offer “advice, a wish or a prayer.” Some of them were touching, some hilarious and I put them with the reception pictures in a scrap book. Shop around on line for disposable cameras for the guest tables. My favors were red, white and blue M&Ms in jelly jars that I bought at Wal-mart. My wedding was on the 4th of July so we had a picnic reception with hamburgers and hotdogs. The cake was shaped like a square basket and covered in summer berries. Break the rules! The wedding industry is just out to take as much of your money as possible. Make your most special day all about you and your husband and your families. Leave the satin garters for the conformists