Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 10-01-2002, 02:24 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi! My name is Leah and I've been a Bridal Consultant for 8 year. Here are a few tips that may help you. If your are nere a Staples, they have the invitation kits. You get the invitations, direction and reception cards. You can use what you have left of the reception cards as place cards, etc. This kit comes with a CD to guide you through the steps. As far as the reception, the cheapest way to go is for you, family and friends prepare the food yourself. Use some of those close friends and family member that would have like to be in your bridal party to be your hostesses. Set up buffet style, that way there is no actual serving to be done. Whenever I do a wedding, and the family caterers their own food I hire a wait staff, which are people that I have interviewed and know what to do. The head table (which is your table) should always be served, but it really depends on your situation. Inexpensive tips for party favor would be: wrap candy, peanuts, mints, etc in tulle. Buy the tulle by the yard and cut yourself instead of buying the precut circles they're expensive. Walmart has a small line of mini champagne glasses, mini boxes, etc. that you could use a favors. There are a lot of money saving tips that I could tell you, but it is too many to list on here. Please feel free to email me at [email protected], I would be more than happy to help you. Good luck "Weddings By Leah".
Old 10-01-2002, 05:40 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I found information on another frugal website: It said to first, get a copy of "Bridal Bargains" either through a bookstore or at your library. This book, written by Alan and Denise Fields, is fantastic. They go through each element of weddings: food, photography, etc., and explain how to save money. There are also tons of websites dedicated to weddings. One very popular one is www.theknot.com <http://www.theknot.com/>. On the message boards, brides are always swapping tips on how and where to save money. Another good web site for tips is www.ultimatewedding.com <http://www.ultimatewedding.com/>. I hope this helps!
Old 10-02-2002, 10:28 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I cheated. I didn't have a computer but my Matron of Honor did and I used her card making program and plain paper. This was her gift for me. I bought invitation envelopes at an office supply store. To add to the lace effect on the front I bought a pair of scissors that would cut a scalloped edge and cut across the bottom of each invitation. If I needed more I could just print them out!
I also cheated with flowers and such - I had each of my aunts do something - make the roses to hold birdseed, make my flower arrangements, borrow candle holders and pedistal urns from her church for decoration, and make a recording of the Lord's Prayer. I had the ladies of my house church serve at the reception and they got together and provided the punch, cheeses, and crackers ( wedding was at 5pm on August 15, 1999 ). We had one of the Elder's wives do our pictures and we had others in the church help out too: music except for 2 recordings and the sound system. Being a member of the church we didn't have to pay for the sanctuary!
Hit sales and looked for special goodies. Allen and I caught our cake topper on sale at Paper Warehouse and we had Kinko's make up our napkins. That was our greatest expense except for the cakes - we got both at Albertson's for $185.
It was neat to have people do stuff for the wedding because I really didn't need too many things for my household so it was a good trade!
You can see it here . . .

Last edited by BLTN_Mom; 10-02-2002 at 10:37 PM.
Old 10-14-2002, 02:06 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

The very first thing you should do is sit down with your fiance and decide what your priorities are for your wedding. Keep that in mind in all your decisions. For instance, for us, invitations weren't that big a deal, but entertainment was. For some people, flowers are a big deal, gifts are not, etc. Make sure you both are on the same page. You don't have to follow all "the rules" of wedding ettiquite (sp?) if you don't agree with them, but know what is important to you!

When it comes to invitations, be careful. If you make your own and get a little fancy, costs can add up.

I am a Discount Bridal Service rep and work with brides who want to save money every day. I love what I do. Let me know if you have any questions!
Old 10-14-2002, 09:13 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Allen and I threw quite a few wedding ediquette rules out the window and kept some others !

Old 11-07-2002, 04:49 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi there all,
I had a great and frugal wedding, my parents are missionaries so they definitely didn't have the extra cash to spend on a wedding. However, since my grandpa is the pastor of a beautiful church, we got to use the facility all for free. As far as decorations we used pillars made out of old carpet rolls and painted them white (they were beautiful) and put pizza boxes on the top and bottom painted white. Then draped them with gauze type material (forgot what it was called!) put ferns on top with the leaves draping down, so pretty. Also we only served finger foods. On the tables we used sand mixed with foodcoloring to give it a light blue color, with a few shells and little candles in tiny dishes in the center. Oh and I also saw this great idea, for a guestbook, I don't know how frugal it is but it was soooooo cool. One of my friends for her wedding had a big picture probably 4' by 2' size of her and her hubby to be they put it on an easel (sp?!) like an art easel and had plan white paper surrounding it probably 3/5 anyway, people signed around the picture instead of signing a guestbook, and they know have it in their living room. It is really neat. Better go for now , writing way too much!
Old 11-08-2002, 07:38 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I wanted to thank you all for your help!!! My pc was "out of order" for a while, so I just got around to seeing the great replies!!!!! Thanks again!!!!