Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 02-23-2013, 05:16 PM
Head Moderator

Fall wedding celebration

One of my DS was married this past week in a hurried marriage and they are planning a gathering in the fall "renewing" the vows and having all their friends there. His new wife has a daughter and with problems with her natural father they needed to up their wedding date so they can live in the state they want without the natural father causing and possibly preventing them to do so. The natural father has issues with the law and has had vistation revoked at this time till a return to court.So back to the question:

They are doing an outdoor celebration in the woods so there should be lots of natural color. But we need any ideas for tables and such. We are putting the food in my large mudroom which has a whole section with a buffet table and a dining table off to one side. The sit down tables I am assuming will be over near my house while the "renewal" will take place over near their house 1/4 mile away in the woods. We have a large field separating where they are living and my house. So we have a large area for guests to wander passing by my home theater building on a path through the woods coming over to where the food will be. I am going to have the theater building open also for guests if they want to sit in there. I have thought of making a DVD of pictures of the "bride and groom" from childhood that could just play on the large screen in there.

I've never done an outdoor wedding and they want to keep the cost down as much as possible. They have bought their centerpiece and such when things went on clearence this past fall. Any thoughts?
Old 03-14-2013, 03:12 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

There are some beautiful flower ideas on this site made with wildflowers and other fall ideas. Wedding Flowers: Wildflowers

Lots of DIY things here, some beautiful ideas. All DIY Projects - The Wedding Chicks

If it isn't going to be a very formal wedding think about letting your groomsmen wear nice jeans(all the same color) with vests the color of the wedding colors. Then the groom could also wear the same color jeans with a vest and a matching blazer then add a simple flower to each vest and the grooms blazer for the boutonniere.

At my ODS's wedding we used burlap as table runners over unbleached muslin tablecloths, but you could also use cream, light tan or beige tablecloths. We also used real deer antlers and duck decoys with live pine branches as decorations. You could use anything like that as decor on the burlap runners for a nature wedding. Burlap and the unbleached muslin is also inexpensive which is another plus. I wish I had pics to share with you but I lost them when my comp crashed and I didn't have them backed up on CD and had deleted them from my camera. That was a very hard lesson learned! I also made my son's groom's cake, if you bake and/or decorate, that is another saved expense or if he doesn't want any kind of decoration on the cake just make him a cake and frost it in his favorite flavor, it can be round or a 1/4, 1/2, or full sheet cake. You can also buy decor to go on it at a reasonable price. If the bride didn't mind, you could also make the wedding cake. You can buy stackers at WalMart and making a wedding cake is relatively easy, just make the layers a few days in advance and decorate with buttercream frosting or fondant. I think you can also buy pre-made flowers for the wedding cake at WalMart or use edible live flowers. Here are some links to edible flowers. Edible Flowers Chart - Home Cooking

Edible Flowers, How to choose Edible Flowers, Eatable Flowers, Edible Flower Chart, List of Edible Flowers, Incredible Edible Flowers

Edible Flowers List

Oh yes, I also did all the cooking and food preparation for the rehearsal supper and the wedding for my son and ddil's wedding. That along with the cakes saves super money! You can also prepare their favorites the way they like them and that is a plus for you and them. I did this for my nieces wedding also. At her wedding we just did finger foods and chips, fruits and dips. I made her wedding cake and the grooms cake for their wedding also. You can also set up a candy table with little favor boxes for the wedding favors for guests by using brightly colored candies, maybe even put some chocolates in the mix too since it's fall, displayed in pretty dishes. Check at Party City and places like that for the favor boxes if you like this idea.

Gifts for the bridesmaids and groomsmen could be anything from nice, inexpensive, a pretty bracelet or a necklace and earrings sets or if the bride or you can sew make them a purse or beach bag for the bridesmaids to wallets or money clips for the groomsmen.

If I can think of anymore ideas, I will post them. Let me know if you like any of these ideas so I know what to be thinking about please.
Hugs, Paula

http://summdaysummway.blogspot.com
Old 03-14-2013, 04:58 PM
Head Moderator

Wow, lots of ideas, thanks! Going to take a peek at these sites and have my DIL take a look this weekend and see if she likes some of them. I do, but not my wedding! lol
They have already asked me to do the food and they are planning a simple meal. I will probably go to Sam's and buy a precooked whole ham and turkey breast ( the deli style) and slice it for sandwiches. I have and electric slicer so can make it like deli slices. I know they want potato salad ,but that is all I know yet. Trying to get them to use a notebook and keep their ideas all together. If you have anything else it will be helpful, thanks again!
Old 03-17-2013, 04:08 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Happy face

Hi cat lover!
Just thought of a few more things.LOL I hope some of these will help you and your DS & DDIL.

We slow cooked pork loins and pork roasts(Boston B**ts)mixing the meats together after they were done, then shredded them with forks. Some of them we added barbecue sauce to and some we did not. People could have them as sandwiches or just as a meat. We also made cole slaw and potato salad, baked beans, green beans, roasted potatoes, chicken tenders with different sauces and Mexican chicken(DS's favorite dish + very easy to make). All of the food was eaten so it went over very well, I thought. LOL I also made homemade rolls, bought hoagie buns and hamburger buns for the barbecue pork. I have a very simple roll recipe if you would like it. It was one of my great aunt's recipes. We also served fruits with dip, chips with dip and the cakes for dessert.

At my nieces wedding we served finger foods, fruits with dip and chips with dips. We served pinwheels, an assortment of fruits with a very simple dip and different flavored chips with a few different dips. Here is the recipe for the pinwheels, some of them we added the peppers and some we left without them.
Pinwheels Recipe(We used these at Casie and Jamie's wedding)(my niece and her husband)
2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1 (1 ounce) package Hidden Valley Ranch Original Dressing Mix
2 green onions, finely minced
4 (12-inch) flour tortillas
1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped*
1 (2.5 ounce) can sliced black olives*
Mix first three ingredients, spread on tortillas. Drain olives and pat dry on paper towels. Sprinkle equal amounts of remaining ingredients on cream cheese mixture. Roll tortillas tightly. Chill at least a few hours. Cut rolls into 1-inch pieces. Cut off ends and eat or throw away.

I got this recipe from my brother-in-law. You can also use flavored tortillas. We have used them before and they are delicious.

*I did make these for two of my granddaughters birthday parties and left out the pepper and the olives, they were still delicious. I have also added chopped shrimp to them and that is wonderful!

Here is a Fruit Dip that we used for Casie's(my niece) and Justin(DS) and
Amber's(DDIL) wedding.
Fruit Dip
3 oz Cream Cheese
2 Tablespoons Sugar
3 Tablespoons Milk
2 Cups Cool Whip, softened
1 teaspoon Vanilla
A few drops of red food coloring(or color of the wedding colors), optional
Fresh strawberries, grapes, melons, etc....

Beat cream cheese, sugar and milk until smooth. Fold in Cool Whip, fold in vanilla and food coloring(if using). Add to a pretty dish and put fresh fruit around it. Enjoy!

Mexican Chicken
1 Chicken, boiled and deboned*
1 can Cream of Chicken Soup
1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 can Rotel
1 lrg. bag of Doritas(Nacho Cheese)
1-2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 onion, chopped
1-1 1/2 Cups Cheddar Cheese
salt
pepper

Preheat oven to 350*F. Spray a 9"x13" baking dish and set aside for the time being.
*I usually use legs and thighs when I make this. Add chicken, minced garlic, chopped onion, salt and pepper to stock pot and boil until chicken is cooked through and tender. Remove from broth, but save broth, and let chicken cool until you are able to handle it, then remove from bones. Dip Doritas into the chicken broth and back out very quickly then put into the baking dish. You might not need all of the Doritas, just make sure the bottom of the dish is well covered with them. Next add deboned chicken, mix soups and rotel together and pour over the chicken, then top with cheddar cheese. Bake until bubbly and cheese is melted. I had to triple this recipe, it's just according to how many people will be at the wedding. Trust your own jugdement as to how much to cook if you decide to use this recipe.

Cool Whip Dessert
1 large container Cool Whip, thawed
1 extra large or 2 small candy bars(your choice of candy bar, I used Snickers),chopped*
1 large box or 2 small boxes of instant vanilla pudding mix

*It is easier to chop the candy bars if they are frozen. Stir together the Cool Whip, instant vanilla pudding and chopped candy bar(s). Let set in refrigerator 4-6 hours or overnight. It would be gone in no time around here. LOL

Cookie Pizza
1 tube 16.5 oz. refrigerated sugar cookie dough
1 8oz. package cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup powered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
Fresh fruit

Heat oven to 350*F. Spray a 12" pizza pan with cooking spray. Press cookie dough out onto pizza pan(this is your crust) and cook for 15-20 minutes until golden brown. Let it cool about 30 minutes before beginning to top with sauce.

This is your "sauce". Beat cream cheese, sugar and vanilla until fluffy then spread over your "crust".

"Toppings" are any kind of fruit you choose. You can use fresh strawberries, halved or quartered, it's according to how big they are, kiwi(peeled and sliced), as for blueberries, you can use fresh or frozen, blackberries, raspberries, and well drained mandarin oranges also work well on this. For a pretty effect on top you can melt dark chocolate or white chocolate or both and drizzle them over the top of the fruit.

Another dessert for my son's wedding was Four Layer Dessert. It is also another very simple recipe and another one of his favorites.
You will need
1 Cup plain flour(all purpose)
1 large Cool Whip
1/2 Cup Chopped Nuts, optional
1 stick Butter or Margarine(I use butter)
1 8 oz. cream cheese
1 Cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 Cups cold milk
2 3.9 oz instant pudding mixes(I use chocolate but any flavor can be used)

Four Layer Dessert
1 Cup plain(all purpose) flour
1/2 Cup chopped nuts(I use pecans, you can use what ever you choose)
1 stick butter or margarine(I use butter), melted
That's your 1st layer.
Heat oven to 350*F and spray a 9"x13" baking dish. Stir the first 3 ingredients together and spread into baking dish. You will have to use your hands to do this and it is hard to get it "stretched" into the pan in a level layer. Cook for 15-17 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely.

2nd Layer
1 Cup Cool Whip
1 Cup Powered Sugar
1 8oz. package cream cheese, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
Mix well and spread over 1st layer.

3rd Layer
3 Cups cold milk
2 3.9 oz. instant chocolate pudding mix(or any flavor you choose)
Mix well and spread over 2nd layer. (Cream cheese layer)

4th Layer
Top with remaining Cool Whip

Refrigerate for 2 hours or longer before serving.

I've got to think of something for supper now. I'll try to think of some other things later. I can't think of any other decorations right now either. Did you DDIL like any of the ideas? Just wondering.
Hugs, Paula

http://summdaysummway.blogspot.com