Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 03-13-2011, 09:38 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Need help with wedding ideas!

Hello everyone! I just got engaged and I need lots of great ideas for my wedding decor and the reception...but on a shoestring budget,lol. My daughter and I are doing most of the food and decorating ourselves and any ideas are greatly appreciated. My theme is hearts,lime green and pink. Thanks to all who reply

David's wife Elaine

Old 03-13-2011, 11:25 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I don't know if you'll find anything you can use but the Dollar Tree usually has wedding theme things.So if there's one in your area I would check it out.Hope this helps a little.Congrats!
Old 03-13-2011, 11:46 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

Have you checked consignment shops or thrift stores for wedding dresses and other stuff? For the reception, you can try some recipes that can be served cold and made ahead of time. That way, very little cooking the day of the reception. You could have finger foods like little sandwiches, salads, or anything that can be made ahead of time and set on the table the day of the wedding.

To save money on a photographer, or videographer, you can get several disposable cameras and place them all around at the wedding for guests to take pictures from their perspective. You will not only have pictures, but they will be sentimental being that your friends and family took them. You could get a family member to do the video.

Mints are easily made. Take 1 8 ounce package of cream cheese, 1 2lb package powdered sugar, 10 drops of peppermint extract, and food coloring.

Mix the above all together. It will be dry. You can half it and make it in 2 colors if you'd like. Take some candy molds, in your case, you can get heart shaped, and grab a pinch of the dough, dip it in granulated sugar so mints won't stick to molds. Pop them out and place in serving dish. Keep refrigerated.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:01 PM
Head Moderator

Love your mint recipe DeBora! Would you mind posrting it in candies so others can find it too?
Old 03-13-2011, 01:32 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Congratulations!!

You could make chocolates for favors, too. For my daughter's birth, I made pink chocolate rose lollipops, wrapped them in lollipop bags and ribbon. I wrote up a saying, printed it on paper and cut them into strips. Then I punched a hole in the end of each one, slipped it through the ribbon and tied it to the pop.

In your case, you could make heart lolliopops - lots of stores now carry chocolate molds. You could write your names and the date on tags and attached them to the pops. Or you could buy mini heart molds and put a few (about 10 depending on size) in little bags and attach a saying to it.

How many people are you inviting? What type of setting...casual or formal? DeBora's mints are great! I like her idea for informal foods, too, if the setting will be casual. Heart shaped finger sandwiches, salads, some simple desserts like puddings or even fruit cups. Cupcakes instead of a big cake. (You can still have a wedding cake if you want one). Serve iced tea and lemonade if it's during the day.

If it's a little more formal, you can't go wrong with pasta to save $$. Baked ziti with meatballs or hot sausage, a salad, rolls and some simple desserts, along with cupcakes.

Our Dollar Tree has some really cute wedding things. Be sure to check the clearance isles of party stores and Target, too. Also the $ section of Target. Go in with an open mind. You never know what you might find.

Even place "want" ads on Craigslist and FreeCycle for things. Lots of times people have pink ribbon, napkins, ...etc left over from baby showers or girls' bd parties.

Love the disposable camera idea. You could have journals at the tables, too, so that everyone can write you well wishes.

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 03-13-2011, 01:52 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
How cute these would be with hearts on them!

Look at the colored sand in these glasses. You could easily color salt or sugar (cheap!) to make it pink and lime green. You can find glass vases or bowls at the $ stores and then you could layer them, green, white and pink. Fill with a tea light candle.

I love these Epsom Salt Luminaries by Crafty Amanda. (Amanda from here at FC!). You could make a bunch of these pink.

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 03-13-2011, 06:49 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I am LOVING the ideas ladies!! We have a dollar tree and some other dollar stores too..most of them aren't in my colors but some of the things I can use for sure. Love the idea of chocolate suckers...I make my own candy and David is diabetic so I can make some especially for him as well...and LOVE the mint idea too!!
The bus manager where I work is making my cake..he used to be a wedding coordinator for 16 years and we are designing a cake..thats a huge task lol. I was a baker for 3 years and its a BIG job!!
I am using lots of tulle...cheap and cute. Finger foods are for sure cause I dont want to cook and slave and be too tired for the wedding lol and Im thinking of doing tall glass vases with colored rocks in them and a fish in each(pink or green,yes them have them lol) and a floating flower on top on the reception tables. Oh and the wedding is informal...2pm on July 30th. We are getting married at a friends church that was built in the 1800's and the reception is hopefully going to be where I work.
I really appreciate the helpful ideas. I will be using them!

David's wife Elaine

Old 03-13-2011, 07:11 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

Some ideas that you might like for the reception is:

Goat cheese on bruschetta topped with a hint of olive tapenade
Finger sandwiches with cream cheese, jelly, and ham. (The sweet of the jelly goes so well with the salty of the ham and you can tint your cream cheese in pink and use a green jelly or vice versa)
You can slide and toast some French bread and mix some diced Roma tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, basil, parmesan cheese, and salt and pepper. Top the toasted French toast slices
Bite size fruit
Deviled eggs can be decorated and are high in protein
Pinwheel sandwiches (mix together 1 package sour cream, 1 package cream cheese, softened, 1 small can diced green chilies, drained, 1 can chopped ripe olives, drained, 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, 1/2 cup diced green onions, garlic, salt, and pepper to taste, and 5 flour tortillas.

Mix all ingredients together, except for the tortillas. Smear the mixture on a tortilla, roll it up, wrap in plastic and allow to set in refrigerator. Repeat process until out of mixture and tortillas. One firm, slice and place in plate.

I hope that gets your creative juices flowing. All the above can be made well in advance so you aren't panicking the day of the wedding.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:13 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Thank you Debora.....creative juices are flowing lol !!

David's wife Elaine

Old 03-13-2011, 08:46 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

I bet you are getting so excited. I did my DDs wedding. The only thing I would do different is check to make sure bird seed to throw was acceptable where the wedding was located. They had a bird problem so no bird seed allowed. I spent so much time making those bird seed bags in my DDs wedding colors. lol

Take pictures every step of the way! We'd love to see them.