Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 03-18-2011, 10:14 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I am assuming this might be a second wedding and as it is in the afternoon, you might want to think of a short dress...for mine I went to Cato Plus$30) and got a very nice day dress(it was my first, but being on the larger size none that were ordered for me fit...and we were paying for the wedding) We farmed the cake out to a local grocery store...90 people cake a little over $100...the rest of it we did...we did the Alter Flowers from buying nice silk flowers and left them for the church to use for Sunday service...the silk flowers we from I believe Walmart...the boutonnieres were made with silk carnations and leaves with florist tape...the bouquets were made by buying the base from Micheals and then using a candle ring to do the outside of the flowers and filled in with matching single flowers...because I have the flowers from other weddings I attended mine looked as good or better...as far as the reception went because it was in the afternoon...we did finger foods that I did by myself...and the music was a cassette player as well as an 8 track player(dating myself) that we just switched out the music ourselves...we did have a photographer from where my hisband worked, he did it on the side...but where my dh worked called a strke, but he was nice to send a friend of his to cover and he cover paying him...and of course the donation to the minister for him doing the service...$50...so we did everthing for well under $500 from invitations to cakes...for the invitations we went to the Hallmark store and bought ones that just had to be filled in...we did purchase the book and pen...Have fun doing it, make it fun....and do not stress over it....as far as chocolate unless you are indoors with air conditioning leave alone....it melts...
Old 03-19-2011, 05:27 AM
Head Moderator

One of my sons at his first marriage, we did ourselves. THey got married in June so we bought lots of valentine reduced items, a heart shaped pillow served as the ring bearer's pillow.
We did all the food ourselves: the menu was: ham and turkey sandwiches on small deli style buns, pickle & olive tray, vegetable tray and dip, potato chips, potato salad, large bowl of tropical fruit (from a can at Sam's club), chcolate dipped strawberries, mints, mixed nuts and the cake (the cake was made by a friend that does cakes for weddings and that was much cheaper than any bakery. We did have to rent an American legion hall for the reception and we decorated it ourselves the night before. We bought 2 liter drinks and supplied cups and ice.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:07 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

No alcohol is key also...can get costly...1 great idea and of course some needs to be done ahead of time...freeze some ice in molds of choice...in the ice molds add some fruit of choice...orange slices, cherries, ect...then on the day of the wedding just before the reception, tke some sherbert and ginger ale ( all can be purchased ahead of time and when on sale) and mix together with some orange juice, or some juice of choice...

I do not think you have mentioned if the reception is indoors or out...ad how many people are you looking to have...this information may help out...ex. if out you need to stay away from mayo or anything with mayo especially in July...
Old 03-19-2011, 02:23 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Congratulations, My daughter got married 3 years ago, then came baby. You can order online in large qtys from the dollar store. But my favorite place is orientaltrading.com. You will be amazed at the prices!! I used them for the wedding, bridal shower and baby shower. They even personlized free. Just go online and order a free catalog. We have a lot of children in our family so we had 15 children/grandchildren. We had a special table for them and I order wedding boxes and had crayone, sticker sheets, etc.... I did make a centerpiece a little silver bucket long and put in styofoam with Cookies on a stick (one for each child. and added some candy around the cookies and and I think they are called windmills the little star shaped plastic on a stick and you blow on it to make it go around... I know sometimes I have brain breaks. I will try and upload a picture. I used to own my own business and did all kinds of parties and weddings. I'm so amazed at what you can get online. I'm trying to get myself together to put demonstrations on you tube. But with MS I have been just trying to exist. Anyway you could make cookies on a stick for your decorations. We were lucky enough to rent a location that did our food, and we ordered a chocolate fountain and everyone loved it. But a table with vases of candy all kinds for your guests to take home. Also if you have a lot of kids, throwing the bouquet can be a chore, but what we did was have a teddy bear toss for the kids, which help keep children out of the mix when you toss your bouquet. I'm working on some medical paperwork right now, but I will try to get some other things together. Hope this helps a little. I'm so excited for you!!!!!!
Old 03-19-2011, 02:28 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Whopps,, forgot one thing, you can go online and some sites will let you print our stickers and you can wrap your own candy. Also ebay had a lot of party sites you can find some things. I couldn't find any round plastic tableclothes and found them on ebay.

A punch receipe that seems to always be good for any occasion if you are using punch.

1 pack kool aid your choice you can get lime and it would probably match your colors, I have used lime and strawberry.
prepare the koolaid according to the package, add 1 can pineapple juice and a bottle of ginger ale. Mix all together, and you have punch. I don't know how large your wedding will be. If you want to use this I will check my books and find out how much you need for specific number of people.

Last edited by ncjeepster; 03-19-2011 at 02:32 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:48 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
For our "Meet the Teachers" this year at school, I made a punch with premade fruit punch, gingerale and lemon juice. It was really good. I have the recipe if you'd like it.

I love the chocolate fountain idea. That would be great if you could do something like that.

Love the vases with candy in them for favors, too. You could use jellybeans in your colors or pastel mints. Dollar Tree online or Oriental Trading...both are great places for surplus things!! Sam's Club, too.

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 03-20-2011, 12:01 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Oriental trading Company, Dollar Tree and other dollar stores, as well as thrift stores, and craft stores like Michaels and the craft section in Walmart and other stores are great help when planning and doing a wedding on a budget. I know from experience. Also my niece when she got married she got a lot of things from the Dollar tree, which also has an online site. Also terrys village is a great site for all kinds of wedding stuff. There are so many ways to save when putting together a wedding. Like when I got married my Mom sewed all the dresses in the wedding with fabric we bought at Walmart, including my wedding dress too. She also made her own dress to wear to the wedding too. She also made the heart shaped ring bearer pillow we had at the wedding. As she can sew very well. Our wedding invitations were ones we filled in that we bought at a dollar store and they were even on sale. It saved so much money that way too. I still have a copy in our wedding album of the wedding invitation. A dollar store was the best place to get those and thank you notes on a budget too. We saved even more money as we didn't have meal at our wedding just cake and snacks and if people wanted to eat, their was a restaurant right next door they could get lunch from. We just had a late lunch that day. We just had nuts, mints, punch and such to drink. You can also have tea or coffee at a wedding and other drinks from sodas/sod pops and such. My Mom and I and my husband made our wedding cake. We bought cake mixes on sale and made our own icing/frosting and decorated the cake. It turned out great. It was also a unique cake too. As I had heart shaped layer on top and 3 heart shaped cakes that were separate for others, including one for diabetics to eat from, as well as a diabetic punch for diabetics too. Since I had diabetics at he wedding it was nice thing to do. We bought a diabetic cake mix for that cake and just used the regular frosting/icing and it turned out cute. If on a budget and you can't bake, just buy a sheet cake with flowers on it from a bakery section of a grocery store/super market and you can save money. Even some round cakes from a grocery store that are decorated and put some extra flowers that are pre-made from the cake decorations area of your store. They look great on birthday or wedding cakes, or even graduation cakes. I once made a cake look like it was a graduation cake by making mini graduation hats out of construction paper and putting them on the cake, besides the roses that were on the cake. It turned out cute. you can even put a ceramic figurine of a bride and groom on a sheet cake or some ceramic piece you like, or means a lot to you. Even your intials on the cake in letters. Even wood letters painted in the color of your wedding colors and just stick a piece of plastic wrap between them and your cake and lay them on top, or poke them in to the cake.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:10 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Here is a website that might help out:

Polka Dot Bride - Inspiring Weddings
Old 03-22-2011, 07:08 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

If you can not use bird seed, bubbles are a good exchange and not as messy. You can even make your own bubbles.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:11 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

For my dd #2 wedding we used Orential Traders stuff. The gift boxes were cheaper than anywhere else. You do have to put them together but when it's budget friendly, who cares! lol Besides it was kinda fun all of us working together and chatting.
We bought the hershey kisss and hugs at a warehouse store. My Bro. has a computer that can print off pictures and we had a snapshot of the happy couple. cropped them, personalized them (and dated), used clear contact paper to protect them and sheet magnets cut for the back for a wedding favor. Walgreens can also print pix like this if it's not copywrited (Olan Mills etc.) Dollar Tree Stores has clear votive candles, clear colored stones flatened marbles, sea shells and several other items than can make favors and center pieces. Mine also has the netting rounds for the bird seed in colors, but selection is limited. Can also find cheap flowers at the discount and dollar stores. Ivy vines (streatch flowers $$) can be accented with added flowers in your colors.
You can save a lot making your own veils. Tulle is not that expencive and it comes in several colors of white, candle light and ivorys. It's usually 90" wide, and a little white floral wire, clear hair combs (or flowerd combs, tiara, etc) can be made into a veil that looks like you paid a lot of money for! We sewed a few small seed beads, irredescent pearls and sequens on dd's veil. Go look as the ones at the bridal shop and see it's not that much work to do!
My cousin's dh used to own his oun resturant and was so sweet to do all the food except the cake. It was beautiful and budget friendly! He did carrot and celery sticks, broccoli and cauliflower with 2 simple dips, different fruits (sliced etc.) whatever was in season and affordable, but put in nice dishes (family provided or nice cut glass looking plastic) on lettuce beds for appitizer bar. He made 2 kinds of lasagna for the entrees with steamed veggies Bought in bulk at a warehouse store.
See who can lend dishes or go to a supply shop or wearhouse (Sam's Costco"s) and check out their resturant serving supplies. Some of the plastics look like glass and are much more affordable!