Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 03-14-2011, 04:43 AM

Congratulations apldumplin! AS soon as my creative juices start flowing I'll come back and add some ideas.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:14 AM
Nine Year Member

I would ask stores to see what they have left from Valentines Day to get any hearts or pink items that you would like. Valentines Day M&M's are red, pink & white bought on clearance you could seperate out the red ones and save the rest. St Patricks Day decor generally is a darker green but you might be able to find some holiday candies that could be frozen for the big day.

Most punches can be made in your colors so the drinks can be easy. Ask around to friends about borrowing punch bowls.

You can make heart shaped baked goods by putting a marble on the outside of a cupcake paper which will cause the food to have an indentation at the top. Could do individual meatloafs this way also with the foil papers.

Some easy do ahead food would be tossed salads, pasta salads, finger sandwiches, chips, veggie & fruit trays. Enlist friends to help out with the food prep and serving so you and your daughter don't have to worry about it on the big day.

I would ask a friend that takes good pictures to be the photographer as their gift to you and also put out the disposible cameras on the reception tables asking the guest to take pictures and left them for the wedding couple.

Do you have a friend that could provide music at the reception? Or make a couple of cd's with favorite music and ask a friend to be responsible for keeping the music going.

Roberta
Old 03-14-2011, 03:55 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

Roberta, such a great idea. I have seen so many Valentine stuff on sale every where.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:41 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

YES I am getting excited..and nervous,too! We are thinking of doing satin flowers with bird seed inside...I dont think there is a problem where we are getting married...its out in the country surrounded by horse farms and lots of birds are around. Im planning to take pics and I will post them..thank you for all your help!

David's wife Elaine

Old 03-14-2011, 04:43 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Thank you so much Roberta...great ideas!!!

David's wife Elaine

Old 03-14-2011, 04:44 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Thanks Coll..I look forward to hearing your ideas!

David's wife Elaine

Old 03-15-2011, 09:12 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

For our wedding to save money, we got silk flowers and made the bouquets for the wedding as well as boutionerres and flowers for the bridal party and Mother's and grandmothers and such. Also instead of having to pickup petals we got a basket after Easter and used it for the flowers and we put a silk flower arrangement in it and we didn't have to clean up, pickup petals that the flower girl dropped going down the aisle. It saved in cleanup by my family afteward. I went to a wedding where they had m&m's in the colors of the wedding and they put them on the table in little Easter mini baskets, you can also use silver or tin mini buckets, or mini buckets in the wedding colors. Oriental Trading has some great items for weddings. Also they can do personalized items too. Also Dollar Tree's carry a nice line of wedding items. Also check the craft department in any Walmart near you and they have wedding items too. You can find silk flowers at dollar stores and the local Walmart in their craft section for cheap. Bouquets can be as simple as using florist tape to bind the stems of the flowers together and then tying a ribbon in a bow around the flower bouquets. The boutonnieres can be done with florist tape too, and then pinned on with pearl head flower pins, or safety pins whichever you prefer. We use pans in a shape to freeze ice for the punch. We had bell shaped pans, but you can use heart shaped pans to freeze ice for keeping the punch cold. We bought things a little at time and saved so much money. Thrift stores are great for dresses, as well as target and other stores that have great dresses cheaper, or if you are like me and have someone who can sew they can make the dresses for the wedding party. To save money at our wedding we had the men in the wedding party wear dress shirts they already had and dress pants and if they had a suit jacket they wore it. My Dad had a nice 3 piece suit he had for years that was in great shape and that is what he wore to give me away. My husband had a suit that was tailored for him that was black and it great shape, so that is what he wore. He just bought a dress shirt and a blue tie to wear for the wedding. Thrift stores and department stores are great places for dress wear for weddings. Also some stores rent clothing for weddings too. We didn't go that route, but we had a niece who rented all the dresses for her wedding and that way they all matched well. To save on photography find an amateur photographer that takes digital photos and have them do the photos for the wedding. Also you can put disposable cameras out for guests to take photos too. Although, be aware unless you have enough light coming in the disposable cameras aren't of much use. As they have no flash. So make sure you have enough lights on for the church and reception area not to be too dark. Also if curtains, or blinds can be left open do that. It helps. I had a cousin who just had a reception that was causal at their parents house, they had a bbq there. They just had a cake at the church. Most weddings I went to they had cake, mints, nuts some had cupcakes. Sometimes people have groom's cakes too, but we didn't do one of those, at our wedding. You can even get bride and groom baseball caps to wear at the reception if it is informal, or to set on the bride and groom table for decoration. I have even seen candlebras that people bought from stores for the candle lighting if they have that in the ceremony. We just had people light a double heart candelabra for the background for the ceremony. It looked great and it is in all the photos. We rented the candelabra for the wedding with candle lighters and snuffers. One wedding I went to they have fish in glass bowls on he table sit on top of glass mirrors/mirror tiles. One wedding they had candle hurricane lights on the table too. Also I had a cousin who had a wedding with chocolates at the reception that her Mother and her made and froze. They were great, they also had balloons as the reception in the wedding colors. Her colors were Green, white and gold I think. For video we had family members who had camcorders take the video and they gave us a copy as well as the Mother of the Groom and we made a copy for my parents. One wedding we went to they had a tripod setup with the it recording the wedding and an usher in the wedding taking photos of the bride and groom at the wedding. Hope some of this helps. Congratulations, on you upcoming wedding.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:57 AM

For my dd's wedding she wanted Gerbera daisies in Tangerine. Easy to find but not allowed to use real ones on the cruise ship they got married on.
So what I did was save up toilet paper tubes to use as holders. I covered each one with a lightweight fu foam then silkie fabric, both white. Then took tangerine ribbon in different widths for each bouquet and crisscrossed it. Then where it crossed I glued pearl beads to it. Then added the flowers into the top. If the flowers didn't fit tightly I wrapped some white batting around them first.
They turned out so nice.
For center pieces I bought tin pails and glued tangerine ribbon around the center, I used upside down terra cotta pots to the inside and glued the flower stems to them.
Only had to do 6 since the budget for the reception was tight. The groom
s mom and I framed pics of the kids to sit around the reception all. If I can locate the pics I have on disc I'll post them for you.
They may be posted in the photo albums but I can't remember
Old 03-18-2011, 07:18 AM
Assistant Moderator

My best friend's daughter just got married this past fall and tried to do things as inexpensively as possible. One thing they did was make their own invitations. As it was fall, they used a beautiful fall photograph and bought a kit to make the invitations (computer needed) and they came out beautifuly. For reception favors, she bought these tiny glass jars and filled them with Dove chocolates with stickers on the covers that said their names and the wedding date. They bought paper fall leaves from the Dollar Tree and scattered then on all the reception tables and used gourdes and small pumpkins. The dinner was a catered buffet with things like pasta salad, veggie trays, meatballs etc. that were very inexpensive. She used flowers that were inseason which is cheaper than ordering flowers that need to be shipped. She had a relative who was into photography do the wedding pictures. Also, have you thought about renting the bridal attendants dresses? That not only saves money, but also means the attendants don't have to buy a dress they will probably never wear again. Candles can also make any place seem elegant!

[CENTER]~Mother Theresa
Old 03-18-2011, 10:13 AM
Nine Year Member

I picked dresses from the JC Penney's catalog when I got married as two of my attendents lived out of state so they could order it in their size. I think they were $40 at the time plus shipping. I picked mauve tea length dresses which could later be wore to church or dinner as they weren't "offical" bridesmaid dresses and were a color that looked good on most of them and I had them wear white pumps which most already had.

We didn't have reception favors just bought something for the wedding party.

Roberta