Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 06-03-2007, 03:07 AM
Five Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Bridal shower question

Hi,

My son will be getting married in October. I just found out that I have 4 bridal showers I will be receiving invitations to.

My questions are:
Is the mother of the groom expected to attend all of the showers?
Does the mother of the groom bring a gift to each shower?
Is there anything I'm supposed to do regarding the showers?

I'm in the dark. I've attended bridal showers before but never paid attention to the mother of the groom's role.

Thank you for your help.

A friend is a present you give yourself.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:45 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

If it were me, I would go to the ones that I can attend to show your future dil, that you support her. However, if you are unable to attend, let your future dil know that you are unable to attend and tell her that you hope that she has a wonderful time. I think that you are probably given the invitations out of respect because you are mother of the groom. Therefore, I don't think you are expected to bring a gift to any or all of the parties. I have given people gifts before and then were later invited to a party. I didn't bring an extra gift just because I was invited, but I attended to show support. At my DDs bacheloretter party/shower, I did not bring a gift becuase I had already given her and my future sil their gift. Nobody thought bad of me at all.

Good luck!
Old 06-04-2007, 12:45 PM
Five Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

My thoughts exactly, but wanted to be sure I was on the right track. I plan to attend all of the showers -- 3 are out of state, but would make a nice weekend trip.

A friend is a present you give yourself.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:57 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

Mimi, have fun. I bet you will be glad when the whole wedding festivities are over. lol
Old 06-07-2007, 01:28 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Why not make up a recipe book of your son's favorite meals for her. My mom gave me a book ful of pics from birth and left a page for my wedding pic. I still treasure that book. I'd set my budget and give accordingly.

Old 06-07-2007, 04:02 PM
Assistant Moderator

Me personally would ask ds and dil what they'd like for a bridal shower gift, and give one gift that you will tell your DIL to be, a single more heartfelt gift.
If you are able to attend them go for it, it will be a way to meet the guests if you do not know them already and get to meet some of the DIL to be freinds.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:10 PM
Assistant Moderator

My son is planning on getting married in Oct as well.
I dont have a clue. oh how many showers she will be having but I know I will go to as many as I can.
I will not take a gift to each one and know she wouldn't want me to anyways.

I know our girt I want it to be something they can use but will have some senmental value to it, and they know how I am anyways so if I gave anything else I think they would be shocked.

GO and enjoy yourself but dont worry you are there for moral support and allow her to know you welcome her into your family.
but do not over do yourself. It gives a hidden message there if you did. it would liook like you over doing yourself to show out.
Just be you...
by the way Congrulations to you for gettinga new dil.
Best wishes for the new groom and bride.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:48 AM
Head Moderator

"Rules on gifts"

If you are a member of the wedding party you aren't expected to bring a gift to each shower. The shower gift is just a token of your well wishes. A homemade gift is perfectily acceptable and makes it so much more special.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:37 PM

I've never he4ard opf there being more than one shower.

I think the one thats closest to your home or the brides, would be the one to take the gift to. For the others, offer to help with something, like cooking, decorating, buying decorations, something of that sort.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:31 PM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I would go to the showers if you want to, but I wouldn't feel obligated to go to all of them. If you happen to buy more than one gift, seperate them, but I wouldn't get any more gifts than you planned on.