Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 06-01-2007, 05:40 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldeagle1
Hi Mimi,
I think that you are in good standing if you politely explain that you will host a rehersal dinner for only the wedding party participants. You can add that if the bride's mother wants to host an additional pre-wedding party, she is certainly free to do so. Good luck with everything. My son's wedding is coming up later this month and will keep my fingers crossed for both you and I!!
That is an excellant idea of telling the bride's mother to have a pre-wedding party if she desires to do so.

Good luck to you as well Goldeagle!
Old 06-01-2007, 06:57 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I am so glad the rehearsal dinner hasn't really become an Aussie thing!
Mim, you need to do what you are able. I agree that keeping it simple and small sounds like the way to go for the bride and groom. Thanks for sharing your journey with us.
(PS If you take a look around, you'll find we area fun bunch of people to chat to about all sorts of things!)
Old 06-02-2007, 06:45 AM
Nine Year Member

Good luck Sue and Mimi!
Let us know how it ends up for both of you.
Vicky
Old 06-03-2007, 02:37 AM
Five Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Everyone,

Thank you. I agree with everything that has been said -- especially the $ aspect and the budget. I've told my son what I plan to do and he is all for it -- limit the number of people and send out invitations.

Now I have another question:
If we have a tent and have the meal outside, what lighting could I use? There is no electricity unless I use lots of extension cords. Would candles produce enough light? Is there something else?
Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

A friend is a present you give yourself.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:48 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Oil lamps/hurricane lamps?
Old 06-03-2007, 06:21 AM
Nine Year Member

Mimi,

How about a portable generator with strings of christmas lights strung around the tents?

Or get some tiki poles with the oil lamps on top. Or some bowls with floating candles for table centerpieces.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:23 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

I agree with Barb that oil lamps or something like it might give the best light without being loud or too dim. You may also check out battery operated lights. We have noticed that some florecent lights that I have give some pretty good lighting, but they require batteries.

I am so glad that your DS is behind you!
Old 06-03-2007, 10:01 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Happy face

Hi Mimi,

Candles don't provide much light and those little battery-operated tealights don't either. I've used white Christmas lights wrapped around my tree trunks for summer parties -- they look very pretty, but they never provided dining light. I hate to suggest it after all of the money you are spending, but maybe the place that you are renting the tent from could rent you a generator or portable lamps that can really light up and area.

Best wishes,
Another Mother-of-the-Groom
Old 06-03-2007, 02:13 PM
Assistant Moderator

I like VicRaes idea of the generator and fairy lights a nice touch, and the trees like Sue says. See if you have a hire place around to just see what they suggest and go from there with your own, or hiring or even the WWW for ideas.
Candles I'd be wary of unless the flame is covered. You only need one person not to be paying attention and an accident can happen.

Old 06-04-2007, 01:32 PM
Five Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks everyone for the ideas. I too am wary about using candles since there will be some young ones present.
I did find one idea using clay pots and sterno, but not really sure about this -- again open flames.
I'll check with rental places to see what they have.

A friend is a present you give yourself.