Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 01-21-2007, 04:07 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Wedding Date June 16th, 2007

Ok the date has been set and dd wants me to do the dress, flowers, invites and reception.
I am on very limited budget and I need some ideas. Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

Bonnie

Last edited by minicrafter; 01-21-2007 at 04:09 PM. Reason: link at bottom not usable
Old 01-21-2007, 04:17 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

Bonnie, first, congratulations on your DDs wedding. I did almost everything for my DDs wedding too. You can order the invitations and the flowers online. Many of the silk flowers for weddings are already made, you just pick the colors and type bouquets and such. We got my DDs wedding dressing at a second hand store that sells wedding dresses. She is very picky, but she was able to find that perfect one! Many of the shoes and bridesmaid dresses as well as the flower girl, we got on ebay as there are stores that sells nice dresses for such occaisons. I made my DDs wedding mints with mint flavoring, powdered sugar, and cream cheese. These can be made in molds in the shape of flowers or whatever and bought at a crafts store if you don't already have them. You can also dye the mints with food coloring in your DDs wedding colors and these can be made ahead of time.

I know there is a lot more, but I can't think of them at this moment. However, feel free to ask. Basically, the more you can do ahead of time, the better. You can also make party trays of fruit, cheese, and or meat on plastic trays. The only thing I did not make, as they are a lot of work, it the wedding cake. I bought the plastic party trays, the rose petals, table covers, etc...at a crafts store. This was also good as my DD and I was able to sit down and plan all this together.

Good luck!
Old 01-21-2007, 04:41 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

congratulations on the upcoming wedding. our DD was married last Sept. the best ideas I have are to use coupons for Michael's and hobby lobby and Joann's. We saved a lot using them. We bought the flower girl dresses on ebay for $15 each and that included the flower wreath head pieces. We bought an invatation kit at Target for 50 invatations and printed them at home. It included invatations, envelopes and responce cards. We had the cake made by a local grocerey store cheaper and just as good as a bakerey. We used the hobby lobby and michaels coupons and sales for the pew bows, mints, flower petals, baskets,silk flowers for the bouquets and the bouquet holder thingys, grapevine wreaths, ribbon, candles, even her tiara (sp?) we used the coupons from Joann's fabrics for material to make shawels for the attendents. they were only $10 a piece and only needed to be hemed on 2 sides. quick and easy. We downloaded the songs she wanted from www.pianobrothers.com I think they were $1.00 a piece. We rented the arch, candle arch things, candle lighters and a small table that we used for the unity candle from Hobby Lobby.The most expensive thing was the photographer. In hindsight I would of done that differently. The pictures turned out great but they were EXPENSIVE. I'm sure I have more tips but that is all I can think of right now. But do take time to enjoy this time with your daughter.
iris
Old 01-21-2007, 11:14 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Lunatic

I did my son's wedding 2 years ago.All the invitations,flowers,decorating,food,reception...Hi s wife got her dress from Sears for under $100.00,it was long and white and looked so nice...her gloves I got at Michael's,garter,head piece,flower girls basket all at Michael's.The center piece I did with pink/blue/white roses with a candle in the center.Her necklace and earrings I got off Ebay.Her bouquet I did in light blue/pink/white roses with light pink/blue and white ribbons.

For the invitations and response cards you can do them all on your computer,for the inside of the invitations,I printed out their names,date,place and the saying they wanted on vellum,I then attached them onto the inside of the invites with a ribbon and brads,the response cards were printed out on the computer...the front of the cards were embossed with a wedding cake...they were made out of card stock.

For the decorations...we did wedding bells with streamers to match the wedding colors...as a thank you I did candles that had their verse and Wedding Date on them,wrapped in white tulle and tied with a ribbon to match.The white tulle you can by that in rolls on Ebay.I can't think of anything else right now,but hope that helps...Oh and I did all the photography for their wedding and reception...If you have a good 35mm camera and a tripod you are all set to have someone do the photography for free,the only cost was getting the film developed but Walmart usually has some good deals on that.
Congratulations...

Last edited by BuddyBeanieBaby; 01-21-2007 at 11:17 PM.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:46 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

First of all congrats on your DD's upcoming wedding. Check out Craigslist.org or .com..can't remember...lol...check newspaper ads for buying and selling of wedding items..look into your county or city for renting of buildings that you can get cheaper than regular wedding sites. You can rent video cameras at most video stores or electronic stores..If you have family members who have talents..(bow making, cooking, decorations...etc...ask them for their help..get photos of the couple growing up to adulthood and pics of them during thier dating..and put them in frames or a photo album and make a wedding table for the guest to look at....it was a great hit at my dd's wedding..My dd got her dress at Davids Bridal and asked the sales girl if she could give her any deals with any accessories and they gave gave her a veil for free....a card for a free ring bearer tux...and 50% off the other tux..grooom, ushers, best man...and all we did was ask..we were very surprised and pleased by what we got. Just ask..u never know....don't accept the first price they give you....learn how to wheel and deal..if they want you bad enough they will work with you or they will have to watch the money they could of made walk out the door. Here are a few sites that I learned from..The Knot.com...Usabride.com ...How to fire your wedding planner.com....she also has a site that sells wedding stuff...I think these sites are still running...they were 2 yrs ago when I used them. Well I hope I have helped you and good luck.

Debbie

Old 01-26-2007, 07:55 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

First of all congrats on the wedding, next relaax you would be amazed at what you can do to save. I read all I could on line for helpful hints. We made the invitations , check out you grocery story for flowers. We used Jewel & the lady was great. We had to pick them up and bring them to the church but that's not hard. My other dd found their bridesmaid dresses at JPPenny for under $100.00 & my dd did too. Many of the mail order catalogs have very pretty dresses cheap. We had the flower girls wear 1st Communion dresses. We found candles and holders at the $ store and decorated the hall ourselves. We catered the food but kept it simple and only offered pop, wine or beer plus coffee and tea. Good Luck and have fun

Old 01-26-2007, 08:42 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Again, congrats on your dd wedding. My 3rd dd made her invitations from a software package she got at Michael's..but they are everywhere now. I made my other dd's just on a word processor with a really nice font and linen paper. For dresses, check all the outlet stores - Major dept. stores have their own, just ask them. You can sometimes find the same dress for half because of mistakes in orders, duplicate orders, etc. If you find the dress you almost like, ask them about changing something on the dress to make it perfect, a lot of the time it is not that expensive. Bridal fairs in the spring give coupons for % off on dresses and free acessories. I bought most of her silk flowers with a coupon for 50% off at Michaels. You can get a book on silk designs (or copy real bouquet). I bought silk 'grouping' flowers that were wire together, cut them apart and added greenery and ribbon into the bought holders. Cost us about $9 for each bridesmade. Her bouquet cost about $20. I did large arrangements for the candelabras- substituting the flowers in the design that my dd didn't like. They cost about $25 each. People whispered to each other at her wedding, wondering how I could afford such expensive flowers! My friend turned around and told her they were silk and I did them my self. I also did her veil, garters, memory box, cake knife, boutineers,corsages, flowergirl basket and headpiece, and centerpieces, We contracted the cake at a local major grocery store. for about $150... more than enough for 175 people. I also made the punch. We had chicken salad & vegiterian filling on mini croissants, relish trays with dips, etc. My friend helped with the food, her family served and cleaned up the buffet and cut the cakes. If you have friends, ask for help. Good luck! Enjoy.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:44 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

Another congrats to your DD and the rest of the family.

My dau got married this past Aug it was an out door wedding in their own yard. Everything was beautiful. She went to Michael also as well as Ben Franklins, Dollar Tree, Dollar General and online to get the best deals she could. We made all of center pieces for the tables, favors etc and most of the stuff came from the above places. We also have a pottery nearby so we took advantage of that. She also had a table with stuff to occupy little ones (who get bored/tired easily.) she had it catered and we helped with that too so the cost was down LOTS. She did not have traditional wedding dress it was all VERY informal her and Kent's choice. Even tho' they live on the water and there was a breeze it could have been VERY hot thus the casual dress mode. And as for pix she bought these "throw away" cameras that have wedding photo's r something like that writen on them she put 2-3 one each table and asked the guests to take pix of each other the couple getting married her being walked down to groom Kent by her older son Adam now 18. A beautiful site to this ole Granny/Mom
Good luck and God bless with your happy day
Old 01-28-2007, 05:14 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Thumbs up Hi

Congrats here tooo!!!!! my DD got married last June.They didnt have any money to spend really!!! Dont laugh we got a nice idea at the dollar store!!!! And I agree with the others...Michaels has NICE invites!!!! she wanted silver.there are coupons in paper and sometimes the Entertainment books.Someone told her about someone that would give her a break on flowers!! Or like Target had some too,to make on computer!!Always look when you are out in any clearance section!!! my girlfriend just got some stuff on clearnce for her daughters wedding too!! and the dress she wore was a bridesmade dress!!! saved LOTS there and you would never know!!! she looked amazing!!yes try second hand shops too!!! you never know what you can find!! GOOD LUCK!!!!!!! let us know what you find!!!!!