Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 05-29-2006, 03:58 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Pinkie Winky I never know either!!!!!

thats the hard part!!!!! I never know what to give,at weddings or grad.or birthdays!!!! My mom would say whatever the dinner is...does that make sense??!! say if they pay 50$ for a dinner {at the resturant or where ever}thats what you give ?!! I dont know. My daughter is getting married...and I DONT know what to buy her!!!!!!LOL I got her some stuff,nightgown but dont know what else!!!! oh well.
good luck!!!
Old 05-29-2006, 09:45 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Here in NY, catered weddings are expensive. Probably $35 and up per guest, depending on the catering hall. We always give a minimum of $100 Hopefully that covers our plates and leaves a little extra.

A backyard wedding is less expensive, and we'd give about $75. The bottom line is to give what you can afford. I got married in 1985, and $25 was the acerage gift.

It was very insulting when we opened an envelope form a party of 6 guests, ( a well off family of DH cousins) and received $10.)
Old 05-31-2006, 05:53 AM
Assistant Moderator

I think it depends on how close you are to the wedding couple. I would say $25 if they are "acquaintances" and $50 if you are closer. If it is a very close family member $50-$100
Old 05-31-2006, 09:52 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Usually you the minimum you would give is the price per plate at the reception...after that its based on how close you are...Our reception <6/24/2000> it was $45p/p so singles gave $50 couples were $100 and families upwards
some gave us more and some of DH friends just came empty handed...not even a card
One tip: It was helpful to have cash in the cards..this way you have quick getaway money for the honeymoon and no waiting for a check to clear =0)
<I go to the bank teller and ask for crisp new bills too>
Old 05-31-2006, 03:49 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Just a q'n?

Do you give cash AND a gift, or cash instead of a gift? We (dh and I) give gifts, usually, not cash. My niece is getting married later this year and to attend the wedding it costs $960- per person as it's on an island and there are airfares and accommodation to cover. In this case, they are not paying for the reception ~ it's covered by the guests in the fee for holiday! We are not going ~ both time and $$ are issues for us . We will buy them something, but not sure what. They have been living tofgether for about 12 months and have already set up home.
We are going to another wedding in July, nearer to home, and will probably spend about $25-00 on the gift, which is the same as we did for the engagement party.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:30 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

gifts

I've never liked giving gifts at the wedding its nuisance to have to deal with getting gifts home...
a big pricey wedding like that I assume the B & G I aren't expecting cash gifts if everyone is flying out.
Weddings are great but very costly.. sometimes I just go to the ceremony at church and will give them a card with a smaller
gift in it and skip the reception
Old 05-31-2006, 05:54 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Sorry to seem a bit dumb, I think there are some cultural differences here! How would you know what the reception costs?
Old 06-01-2006, 03:34 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

LOL Meg! Sometimes people are just plain blunt about how much it costs--so the guests are aware. I hate the idea that you are "paying" for your own dinner by following this custom. A gift is a gift, not a meal ticket. But around here, that is the custom.
Old 06-01-2006, 06:15 AM
Assistant Moderator

I was told that a wedding gift is not obligatory at weddings. People give wedding gifts out of the goodness of their heart not because it is expected or out of obligation. So, techinically, no one should feel they "have" to give a gift. The bride and groom should have invited people to the wedding as they wanted the invitees to celebrate the ceremony and the prospect of their new life together, not just to get gifts and money. I think people should just give what they can afford whether it be a wrapped gift or a monetary gift and not worry about whether it is "enough".
Old 06-01-2006, 08:26 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

We have a neice getting married this Saturday, she ask dh to do the photos so what we'll do is put them in a wedding photo book that dh got marked down with the photos in it as our gift.