Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Holidays & Occasions > Occasions > Weddings, Showers, & Anniversaries > Occasions - Weddings

Old 08-15-2005, 07:51 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

wedding reception - should i do it or not?

ok, i have to confess that it is way to late to organize a wedding but i have one big problem. dh and i agreed that we just will go and register our marriage. but my sister wants to come. ok, i promised her a long time ago that she can come. we invited noone. but my mom also wants to come. i dont mind if she comes but after that they all expect some kind of reception (cake and sparkling wine) home or somewhere. there is no time to book a place and go. so i should make a cake. at the same time it would be unfair if my part of the family comes and dh part does not.
i am glad that i remembered to buy rings and order flowers today. so the problem is: should i let everyone to come who wants and have no reception later?
i dont like the ceremony and find it a bit embarrasing and to let people to see it makes it worse. dh feels the same way. we would have done it online if it would have been possible.
oh, did i mention that the big day is on 17th (day after tomorrow)?
Old 08-15-2005, 12:48 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
First of all, Congratulations!!

I completey understand how you feel. When I got married, my DH and I decided that we werent going to spend a lot of money on a big wedding ( both of us have been married before) so we picked out a small wedding chapel and invited just our parents. Then my sister wanted to be my maid of honor---ok, I gave in and then it added her 2 kids too.

It ended up that my brother invited himself and his family too ---which caused a lot of hard feelings because my DH didnt include his brother and his family.

If I had it to do over again, I would've stuck to my guns. We ended up having dinner at a nice restaurant afterwards--my inlaws paid for our dinner but everyone else paid for their own.

Explain to your mother what it is that YOU and your soon to be DH want.Explain that you dont wont to be rude but this is what you want. If she would like to host a reception afterwards, allow her to do it. Maybe your sister and mother could host something together?
I dont think that you are obligated to host anything. After all, its your day. If she can pull something off in the next 2 days, good for her. You shouldnt have to deal with that stress now.

I hope you can relax and enjoy your day!!

Please let me know how things turned out.

Tami

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 08-16-2005, 05:20 PM
FamilyCorner Addict

I agree with you Tami.
Marjekas, you can always elope.
Coll
Old 08-18-2005, 01:17 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

oh, now it is over. finally. it was more or less stressful. i had made a cake, mom bought bubblywine and sister some salads. we ate at our house (i hadnt had time to clean it, so it was a bit messy). in one word, it was a day to remember in many ways.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:49 AM
FamilyCorner Addict

As long as you and hubby are happy, who cares what the house looked like.
Congratulations!
Coll