Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

View Poll Results: Would You Attend the Shower?
Yes 27 75.00%
No 3 8.33%
Not Sure 6 16.67%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-05-2006, 06:35 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

I voted no. It would also depend on the reason too. But, if the couple didn't think enough of me to invite me to the wedding, why would they think enough of me to invite me to a party to get presents? I also realize there may be other circumstances and I would evaluate that before attending.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:32 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

ok this couple is only having there parents there noone easle then in june they are renewing the vows for the family to be a part of . , the money is just not there and circumstances has made it hard for them to do the wedding now so this is why they have choose to do it this way . and i know this coulple wouldnot even care about gifts so its not all about that ,, her dreams was to have this wedding .
Old 01-06-2006, 04:41 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

With all the pain and drama in our world, it is always worth the time to celebrate something good. Nothing is better than celebrating LOVE!!!
I might not be a generous with my gift as I would have been if it was a traditional wedding, but all in all.. I would be there!
Old 01-06-2006, 07:02 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I didn't want a fancy wedding, I hate being up in front of people as the center of attention. I do enjoy hanging out with friends and family, and dancing, though. I wanted to elope. My husband wanted a big wedding. We compromised, and had a small wedding with immediate family only and a large reception with a Unity Candle Lighting Ceremony with extended family and friends directly after. It had nothing to do with gifts, it was what was my comfort zone and being able to spend time with everyone. Both our families and all our friends were perfectly content with this, no one was upset that they were "excluded" from the wedding itself. I had a cousin who did elope, and we all threw a reception for them a few months later. Reading some of the posts here makes me thankful for my family, who takes everything in stride.

It's their day, and I would be thankful to be a part of it however they can squeeze me in. It's not my place to tell them how they should or should not celebrate their love.

Old 01-06-2006, 08:56 AM

My friend Mary's stepson got married by a jp in April, then wanted to do a cozy wedding in the summer. They had it at his moms home in Orlando, he wanted his little sisters to be in the wedding as flower girls. Then released butterflies after the cermony. I'll bet it was beautiful.

The family had no problems with then doing this. I think it was a time constraint/money situation. His dad lives here in PA and he lives in FLA, so I can see why they did it that way.

Coll
Old 01-06-2006, 07:27 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Yes to one....no to the other

I would go to the wedding to be a part of their special day, but I don't like going to a shower with a gift then a gift for the wedding. Seems like a lot to ask of people if you can't afford it. So I usually go to the weddings whether they are a delayed celebration or not and take a nice gift or card and money. If the bride is close to me I would go to the shower as its then personal to me.
We tend to get alot of invites from people we hardly know. Just to have alot of people at the wedding. In small towns that can happen too, invite everyone. I myself wish the happy couple my happiness and luck in this situation.

Carolyn
Old 01-07-2006, 05:54 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

coll this is amost what is going on here her mother live out of state and cant make it in till summer .. iam planning this wedding for these people and iw ould be a part of it either way i understand how some feel there would some who may not come and that ok to you just can t please every one all the time not meaning to sound mean to anyone we all have a veiw and this was what i was out to get and i thank every one who did ..... mactom18
Old 01-15-2006, 09:28 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Mactom, The way your original question was worded, it sounded like no one else was at the original wedding, except for bride & groom and JP or minister. In that case I would go to a reception later and bring a nice card and gift or money, if they did not have a shower before. To me it seems strange to call it a "renewing of the vows" though when they have not been married very long. Personally, I prefer the word "reception."

For people that have been living together for a long time already and don't need or want gifts, they can always put on their invitations "No gifts please or Your Presence Will be Our Gift." I usually respect that but some people still feel obligated to bring a gift anyway.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:56 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I would most defintely go--My friend's son was married in Iowa in August and then a week later they had a reception in Florida for those of us who could not make the wedding. I only wish she had worn her wedding dress and it had been more of a wedding type reception.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:40 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

they cant afford to exchange rings so they will exchange ring in the summer wedding..