Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 05-20-2003, 06:01 AM
Friend of the Family

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Admirer

50th Wedding Anniversary

Has anyone had a 50th anniversary party recently? I would love to hear some of your ideas. We are planning a party that will be in 08/03.
Old 05-21-2003, 11:10 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Here are a couple ideas we used a few years ago when my in-laws celebrated their 50th.

We had their children write down memories of growing up, compiled them them in a booklet and made copies for the family.

Each of the grandchildren wrote a memory of being with Grandpa & Grandma on a reciepe card. They put the cards in a nice little box that they can keep handy and re-read the notes over and over.

The grandchildren dressed up and put on little skits showing Grandma and Grandpa during their 50th years together. Two of the grandchildren modeled their wedding clothes.

We took a family crusie on the Mississippi on a riverboat. We boarded the boat in Davenport and cruised up to Galena, IL where we stayed overnight. The next day we cruised back down the river to Davenport. It was very relaxing and we had a great time together.

Good luck planning something special. I know our family enjoyed being together to celebrate.
Old 05-21-2003, 11:21 AM
Friend of the Family

FamilyCorner Admirer

Joy,

Thank you for your suggetions. Sounds like you had a great time. My husband and I are planning this by ourselves because he is basically an only child. He does have an adopted brother, but things aren't great there and he lives in Seattle so won't be coming back...probably a good thing, but that's a whole different story.

Our kids are 2 and 5 so what you mentioned wouldn't work for us, but sounds like it would have been very cute!

We are doing a vow renewal ceremony along with a cake/punch reception. We originally were going to do maidrites, salads, etc., but the cost was way over our budget.

Trying to come up with ideas for decorations, entertainment, etc. I'm sure most people will just do a lot of talking and catching up.

Where are you at in Iowa? I'm in Southern Iowa. Always nice to see Iowan's on here.

-Stephanie
Old 05-21-2003, 12:23 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I planned a party for my mom a while ago and someone on here gave me an awesome idea that I wanted to share with you. She suggested that I get pictures of my mom to put on all the tables where the guests would be sitting to use as a center/conversation piece. She loved the idea as did her guests. I went to the dollar store and bought some frames and then went through moms old photo albums and got different pictrues thru stages of her life or important moments to her then took them to Kinkos and got them blown up to size. If you wanted you could do pictures of their wedding day and then when they had their first child, then when he graduated....or any take you may have on special occasions...just a suggestion that the people at mom's party liked. As so may people knew her when so to speak! Good luck and have fun. We also did ours pot luck style if that migt work for you.
Old 05-21-2003, 12:48 PM
Friend of the Family

FamilyCorner Admirer

I love that idea! We have been trying to come up with inexpensive center piece ideas so I think that would work great! Also, someone else suggested using candy kisses that are wrapped in gold. May spread some of those down the middle of the table.
Old 05-21-2003, 01:03 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Get a scrape book and have friends and family contribute to it.... with pictures and notes....

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 05-21-2003, 05:14 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

50th wedding anniversary

Did you dance to a special song? if so, see if you can get it. also what ever songs were popular then would be nice to listen and dance to .HAVE FUN, Ida
Old 05-21-2003, 05:38 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

IDEAS FOR 50TH WEDDING ANNIVERSARY PARTY

For my in-laws 50th, we all pitched in and rented a hotel banquet room. My DH has 5 other brothers and sisters. We invited only their parents brothers and sisters and spouses. We had dinner and dancing. We also put together a video on a camcorder of pictures from everyone's collection, we used love songs in the background. It was sooo great getting to see pics I've never seen before. And for my DH getting to pics he hadn't seen for a long time. That was so wonderful. We are all so happy that we did this for them, it's almost been 2 years ago and we just lost Mom at Thanksgiving last year. Quite unexpectedly, even though it was alot of money $250 each it was well worth it. Mom and Dad were sooo happy that nite, and they talked about ever since then. It still makes me smile to think about that night.
Old 05-22-2003, 04:25 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

My sisters & I put on a 50th wedding shower for my Aunt & Uncle. We had a table just with their Wedding Book & Photos, along with photos over the years. We also made up some little favors with some asst candies and tied them into little mesh bags topped with little dollar store silver rings. They also renewed their wedding vows & my sister made a 3 Tier wedding cake for them. We had an open house party for them. We put an announcement in the pennysaver & local paper about the event & then whoever wanted to come, could come. My 2 sisters, 2 brothers, their wives & My mom/Dad put on the dinner. It was basically salads/casseroles/meat platter (that we made ourselves) & rolls. It turned out absolutely great. They got to see a lot of folks that they hadn't seen in awhile & had a great time renewing their vows, doing the cake etc. It was very special to them especially since my uncle isn't doing very well right now & we don't expect him to live much longer. We feel very glad that we were able to do this for them since their only child died about 10 years ago. Life is so bittersweet sometimes, isn't it?
Old 05-23-2003, 05:20 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

My sister and I hosted a party for our parents 50th (10 years ago) we had it at their house. We had a cake/punch/horsdourves reception. On the invitations we asked everyone to write down and bring with them some of their memories of mom and dad. We then collected them and put them in an album. It was fun listening to all the different memories people had of mom and dad. Another idea is to have them send them ahead of time and you could compile them in a book, maybe type them over on your computer and add some graphics to each page.

For my grandparents 60th anniversary, one of my cousins compiled a memory book from each of the grandchildren and the one great-grandchild (at that time). She then made them into a book for them, plus made photo-copies for all of us. It was interesting to see all the different memories each of us had-no two were the same! Even though your kids are young, I bet they each have a special memory of grandma and grandpa. YOu could include your memories and those of their friends and other family members. What a picture will emerge of just how special they are to everyone. Hope you all have a wonderful day!
Lisa