Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 11-27-2002, 11:08 AM
Friend of the Family

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Admirer

50th Wedding Anniversary

I was glad to find this forum!

Next summer (August) will be my in-laws 50th anniversary. Dh and I are in the beginning stages of planning an anniversary party for them. We are going to try and make this a surprise so all expense will be on us. We are just looking for some ideas that anyone is willing to share. They are both in their late 60's and do not really have any hobbies besides their grandkids. We started saving all our pocket change a couple months ago as I know this could be an expensive party. I was thinking possibly sloppy joes, or ham and cheese sandwiches; chips and maybe potato salad. Iced tea and/or lemonade for drinks. Plus cake.

I guess I'm not sure if we should have a wedding/anniversary type of cake made or just do sheet cakes.

Any ideas for cheap, but nice looking decorations. This will be either an indoor rented place or an outdoor shelter at a park.

Also, unsure of the entertainment issue.

We are thinking of getting a minister to renew their vows.

Any suggestions or ideas are greately appreciated!
Old 12-03-2002, 05:53 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I hope this helps!

I know how hard it is to plan a party!!! We tried to have a surprise party for my mom when she turned 50, but she found out about it and I was glad she did because she was such a big help! Anyway, how about the possiblity of a hog roast? You could provide the hog and such, and then ask dif guest to bring a favorite side dish or dessert instead of a present. I was also at a wedding reception lately where they had a slide show of the couple (from infant till wedding day) playing all during the reception. Alot of different family members were asked to provide a fav. photo and it was interesting to see. Hope things work out for you!
Old 12-03-2002, 07:09 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Lightbulb Here are some thoughts

Well, I organized a party for my grandparent's 65th wedding anniversary last April. Let me tell you some things that I did that really made it special for everyone. First, I gathered pictures and took them to a place to put them on a video and they made a wonderful slideshow. There are programs on the computer that would allow you to do this yourself if you want to save money. I called MANY MANY places and they were expensive. So what I did was called a place that fixes tapes, etc and they did these types of videos. It was wonderful and really really inexpensive.:p
If you are interested in doing this and checking with this place, you can ship the pictures to them and they will ship everything back to you. Email me if you would like the name/# of the business at [email protected]
Another thing that I did was have people that knew them best and were the closest to them to write a special memory that they shared with one or both. This was a surprise to them (as was the video) and it was a moment we will never forget. I treasured all of the things that were said about them.

If it is in the summer, you might think of nice decorations that go with the time ofyear. HOpe this helps some!
Old 12-03-2002, 03:14 PM
Friend of the Family

FamilyCorner Admirer

Thank you for the nice suggestions!
Old 01-01-2003, 01:56 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

blushing 50th Wedding Anniversary

I too am glad to have found this forum. Myself and seven of my siblings are planning our parent's 50th wedding anniversary. My parent's 50th wedding anniversary will be in June 2004. We haven't really gotten started as far as finding a suitable place or decided what type of menu we will have . We have a very large family of origin as well as extended family and friends. I know it will be wise to start planning now. I like the idea of having my parent's renewtheir vows at that time. It would be great for us kids, grandkids, and great grandkids to witness that. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as I will be checking back often .

Thanks

LadyLynn
Old 01-03-2003, 09:37 AM
Friend of the Family

FamilyCorner Admirer

You are lucky to have 7 siblings to help you plan and pay for the party! My husband and I will be doing this party by ourselves. He has a brother, but he is pretty much distanced from the family so we are not going to involve him.

I am going to start calling around to find a hall to have the party since it will be hot. I have heard in our area the buildings are around $75.00, which is a lot for our budget. That is why we are saving money up now. To top it all off, the week before the anniversary party our son will have his 6th birthday so we will have that expense on top of that.

I can't remember if I posted our menu idea or not.

Sandwiches - either maidrites or cold ham and cheese on Bun

Chips

Potato Salad

Veggie Tray

Tea and Punch

Cake

If anyone has ideas for anniversary decorations or activities they would be appreciated!
Old 01-11-2003, 02:53 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi!

Just wanted to check-in!

I will probably meet with my siblings later in the month to start dicussing what we will do for our parent's 50th anniversary. After checking in with my older sister, she is leaning towards more of a party then a huge celebration. That would include family members, some of my parent's closest friends, and possibly some of parent's siblings might attend. We might do a pot luck dinner of some sort as well as cater some it. It is still up in the air. As we try to figure it out I will let you know what kinda progress we are making with all of this.

See you soon.

LadyLynn mom to 4 :p