Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 06-11-2002, 11:57 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

chuckle 10th Ann/Pre-home improvement Party?

Ok, I hope this doesn't sound too cheesy. I need some help. This year my husband & I are celebrating our 10 yr Anniversary. We also NEED to make some updates on our house. How do I incorporate both into an invitation & let the invites know that we would like $ or gift certificates to fix our home? All that w/o sounding too tacky!? Please help! Thanks so much!
Old 06-15-2002, 06:49 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Sorry to disappoint you but I think that suggesting gifts unless invited guests ask is inappropriate.
Old 06-15-2002, 08:19 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Unless you are close to them. (like family or best friends) I think she's right.
I have seen people say on their invite cards " no gifts please"
or if you're my brother-in-law " money only please" So you might get away with " Home improvement gifts please".

But I would find someone like a sister or mother( someone that knows alot of the poeple) that could put a bug in poeples ear on what you want. That seems to work the best for me.

Hope this helps.
Houston-Mom
Old 06-15-2002, 08:50 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Exclamation

A gift is something wanting to be given, not expected. An anniversary "party" is and should only be an anniversary party, not a "home improvement party". Please I do not mean in any way to offend anyone who responds to this thread.....but my honest opinion is......friends & family are important....and Unless your guest are extremely generous or wealthy, asking for money is not appropriate. You will end up having them feel obligated to the point of offending someone. If anything, why not have a paint party type of event? Provide the food and beverages in exchange for their services.
Do have a Happy Anniversay, and many more!!!!

Good Luck
Cindy
Old 06-16-2002, 05:26 PM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

You know, there are times when I WISH someone would put what they actually 'want' on their invitations and then again I understand why people don't.

However, in your case of having a combined party, let's think about this and see if we come up with a solution ...

How about creating your invitations with a "construction" theme - Something to the effect of you and your hubby have been "constructing" a happy marriage for 10 years and now you plan on "constructing" a nicer image for your home (hey - ideas are flowing through my brain now!!!) This way people know the "theme" of the party and will more than likely choose appropriate gifts.

I'll see what I can come up with wording wise for the invites and I'll post back -- gotta get some input from hubby

(you wouldn't be opposed to a Bob the Builder party would you? ) hee hee hee hee

The Party Lady is working now!!!
Old 06-22-2002, 10:15 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

blushing LET ME CLARIFY.. A little : )

Hi all. Thanks for your post so far. I so totally don't want to affend or cause trouble. That's why I'm asking for everyone's help. : ) I really like the idea of the invites being contruction & so on from 'BestPartyMom'. I hope you do reply w/ more ideas! : ) Most of the people that would be invited would be friends & family. I have a sort of large family & a small friend group. I've asked a couple of my best friends & they weren't sure what to say either, so I decided to post here. They thought that was a great idea & I could get some impartial opinions. I know people write "asking for no gifts" etc. I'm not exactly asking for gifts, just letting those who want to give, what it is that we need. If the hardware stores had a "gift-registry", it woudn't be such a big deal. I could just enclose that w/ a note or something, like for those having a bridal shower. Keep the ideas flowing PLEASE! : )
Like I said, I most assuredly don't want to be politcally incorrect or disturbing to the hopeful guests. Thanks a bunch people!
Old 06-22-2002, 02:37 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Gifts are expected to be brought at a wedding shower, bridal shower or baby shower but usually not at a anniversary party. If you feel some will bring gifts let others put in the word for you. It is still poor manners to tell people you expect gifts and what they should bring.
Old 07-01-2002, 10:30 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Ettiquite

According to Peggy Post (that's ettiquite guru Emily Post's daughter-in-law), it is NEVER appropriate to mention anything about gifts on any type of invitation or to include any other pieces of paper with an invitation about gifts. The best way to let people know what kind of gifts you want is word of mouth. If people feel that they would like to bring a gift, they will ask you what you want directly. If they don't want to ask you, your construction themed invitations would clue them in without out right asking for anything. I, personally, do not consider an anniversary party something that people should take gifts to. I would only give a gift if it was for my own parents or grandparents. The bottom line is that a gift is just that, a GIFT. It is something you should never expect or ask for and should be received graciously, no matter what it is or what the occasion.