FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   Occasions - Anniversaries (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/occasions-anniversaries/)
-   -   Question About Anniversary Etiquette (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/occasions-anniversaries/15212-question-about-anniversary-etiquette.html)

angela 08-17-2005 08:45 AM

Question About Anniversary Etiquette

We are giving my parents a 50th wedding anniversary party with about 175 guests. Is it proper for them to register for gifts and print where on invitations?
Thanks, Angela

Coll 08-17-2005 07:02 PM

I don't see why not. People register everything else these days.

Coll

Abear 08-18-2005 03:02 AM

I don't know what is exactly "proper" in this circumstance so this is just my humble opinion.....

Guests attending the party are obviously going to want to bring a gift as part of the celebration.

Myself, I would rather have a gift registry available than to try to figure out what the guests of honor would want/need after so many years together.

Coll 08-18-2005 09:55 AM

Okay, this isn't an anniversary question but close.

What do you give as a wedding gift to a relative that you hardly know? Or in my case, it is my hubby's nephew, that I only met once, and that was about 22 years ago.

Coll

sandieluvsbears 08-18-2005 12:35 PM

I dont see anything wrong with it, especially as Cindy said after so many years what do you give them.? My parents have a 50th coming up this year as well and I have talked to my brother and sil, and we will have something"informal" for them, and if someone wants to bring a "joke" gift thats fine, but they need nothing and knowing my parents the way they are just the fact that they will be seeing alot of friends and relatives that they dont see often, is a gift to them. We also will be giving them tickets for a "Cruise to Nowhere weekend.

Coll, if the nephew is young and just starting out Id just give whatever you can afford money wise, its something all newlyweds (and "NOT" newlyweds can use,lol.

Abear 08-18-2005 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coll
What do you give as a wedding gift to a relative that you hardly know? Or in my case, it is my hubby's nephew, that I only met once, and that was about 22 years ago.

They aren't registered anywhere??

If not, I personally would put a gift card inside a "congratulations on your wedding" card and call it a day!

In my opinion, buying for someone you know well is hard enough without trying to buy for someone you don't know.

mammajigglypuff 08-20-2005 09:34 AM

instead of asking for gifts why not have a money tree.
All you need to do is have everyone attach money to a artificial tree with paper clips.
Have fun
Lisa

georgiaoma 08-20-2005 11:08 AM

anniversary etiquette

Had I chosen to stay married, I would be having a 51st anniversary this year and the last thing I want at this stage in my life is one more knick knack to dust. A friend celebrated their 50th with a cruise for the family and the children contacted all of their friends to have cards sent which the children took on the cruise and gave to the parents at the anniversary gathering on the ship. Nice idea!

momofjems 08-20-2005 01:42 PM

I was under the opinion that you didn't give gifts or register for your 50th. Instead of more stuff to dust, why not do a remember book? Have a nice book out on a table and ask the guests to sign their name and write a memory of the couple.

Abear 08-20-2005 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momofjems
I was under the opinion that you didn't give gifts or register for your 50th.

While I don't know where angela lives, maybe bringing gifts to a milestone anniversary (25th, 40th, 50th) party is one of those "Southern" things. :confus:

I know when my in-laws had their 50th, the invitations clearly stated "No Gifts Please. Your Presence Will Be Your Gift to Us " yet everyone walked in with something. MY SIL's were so positive that stating that on the invitations would deter people from bringing gifts.

My parents will celebrate 50 years next July. My younger sister & I will host their party. This thread started me thinking of maybe asking for a donation to the American Diabetes Assoc. or the American Heart Association in lieu of a gift for those that are just deadset in giving a gift. Just a thought..............