Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 06-01-2005, 05:21 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Location: I'm somewhere between the Port of Indecision & Southwest of Disorder
25th Anniversary/Renew Vows

Good Morning to all.
I've been MIA for sometime now, but I've checked in on a few of the forums along.
There are so many creative people here that I would like to ask for your help. My DH & I are celebrating our 25th Anniversary on July 23rd. We plan to renew our vows in church. Now, I've never planned a wedding or even been involved in the planning of any.
We were married in my brother's home, but I've always wanted a 'church' wedding. I don't want anything fancy or expensive. For one thing we are retired & on SS, another is that I will be 62 this Saturday, so I need to keep it somewhat 'age appropriate'. I've already talked to our Pastor & reserved the 23rd for the occasion, & a dear friend is going to help me.
Have any of you ever planned an occasion of this type. Any ideas? Advice? I'm not creative or crafty so I need simple and easy because this is also canning season so my time will be limited on what I can do. Any help will be most appreciated. Sorry this is so long.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:49 AM
Nine Year Member

Hi Jole!

Have you checked out the other forums for Weddings, Showers on this site?

And are you having a reception after the renewal of your vows at the church?

You could have a Potluck with the guests bringing a dish to share and serve it buffet style.

For the decorations if you have some arifical flowers or have friends who do maybe you could borrow them for your flowers for the Wedding or centerpieces for the tables at the reception.

My daughter that got married in April, used floating rose shaped candles in small 6" bowls with some colored stones in the bottom of the bowls. Then had artifical flowers shaped in rings large enough to set the bowls in the middle of for table decorations.

Not really sure how fancy you want to get. But I might be able to help with other ideas for you if you would like.

Hope it turns out nice for you.
Vicky
Old 06-08-2005, 12:55 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

We didn't have a lot money, so had to be creative for the wedding. My now husband had worked for a florist briefly and knew how to make the bouquets out of silk flowers. Now they are a lot easier to find in craft stores and even the dollar stores have decent ones if you go at the right time. I don't know if you live near a Michael's Crafts or Jo-Ann's but you could probably find things there like the feathered pen and guestbook too. Here Michael's has a coupon in the paper just about every weekend and Jo'Ann's sends them in the mail if you get on their mailing list.

I got my wedding dress at a "nicer" secondhand store and had it altered to fit me. The Discovery Shops carry nicer clothes and formals, and some other thrift stores too. If you already have a nice dress that you could wear, then you could just make a simple veil or have someone make it for you. I had borrowed my original veil from a friend since one did not come with my dress, and then later a friend made a simple veil for an anniversary party. For shoes I just wore white pumps and didn't spend a lot on shoes nor did I request the bridesmaids too. A friend made their dresses.

Someone in our church made the cake and gave a discount on that. Some people even do cupcakes now. I did not have a formal wedding dinner, just nuts, dinner mints and Sparkling Cider. At the anniversary party a friend volunteered to make some buffet trays up for me. It was at my house, so was informal but she had said that presentation makes all the difference. You can make buffet trays look just as pretty or better than the caterors or supermarkets. Oh, I borrowed the punch bowl too.

Borrow or make whatever you can. Have your family and friends help you and you will save lots of money but still have a nice ceremony.

I did go to one wedding where the cake had a beautiful waterfall around it but it turned out to be fake and all they served was champagne. It was for a coworker at the time and we waited for a couple of hours for them to cut the cake before we realized it wasn't real.

Laura
Old 06-09-2005, 06:49 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Thanks

VicRae & Apricot
Thanks for the suggestions. I don't live close to a Michaels or any such store. The nearest store of this type is well over an hours drive any direction from me and they are all in big cities. I only drive in these cities if we have to go for specialized medical care. The town I live in is about 400 pop. and the town I shop in is less than 25,000 and the shopping there is extremely limited.
I have my dress it is a soft cream color with champagne color shoes to go with it. I had bought it for our grandsons wedding. I had not thought about a veil of any type.
The ceremony will be in our church and I plan to have a reception afterwards. Since it will be in the afternoon I plan on brisket, ham, bbq sausages, potato salad, cole slaw, baked beans, and maybe a veggie tray. I don't know about a cake yet, a friend of mine is helping me with this & we were thinking maybe just a sheet cake with a photo from our wedding as the center decor of it. There is no problem with me doing the cooking as I don't work outside the home; I have two refridgerators so almost everything can be done ahead and what needs heated can be done before & during the ceremony. I have the invitation cards with the silver decor, so I can do them on the computer. The cooking isn't such a big problem since we have 7 kids, 20 plus grandkids and 10 great grandchildren so I have no problem cooking for large gatherings. I haven't asked the kids for any input or help. I just want them to be there, even tho they think that I'm a 'silly old woman'.
I'm going into town tomorrow for my weekly shopping, so I think that I will go to the party shop and see what I can find there. They are a discount type place which is my type of store.
Thank you ladies for your input. I do appreciate it and it has put me to thinking of what I need to start working on. Any other ideas or suggestions will also be appreciated. Thank you so very much.
My apologies for being so long winded.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:25 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Jole Blond
we were thinking maybe just a sheet cake with a photo from our wedding as the center decor of it.
I think that is a GREAT idea!!!

Sorry that I can't help you with any ideas. I've never planned an event like that before.

DD is getting married in October. She is having an outdoor wedding. We are trying to come up with ideas for that!
Old 06-09-2005, 09:47 AM
Nine Year Member

Hey Jole,

Just a couple more ideas.
For my mom and dad's 50th Anniversary. I sent in an announcement to the newspapers where we live, where they got married & went to school about their anniversary. Most newspapers will do this for free and will print a picture from your first wedding and one from as you are now. I did thid online after finding the newspapers had a website.
Then instead of a reception being given I asked for a card shower. And to have the cards be mailed to them at their address where they live now. My mom and dad acturally recieved a new marriage license from the county courthouse here. Was really nice and my mom has both the old and new Marriage licenses framed and hanging on the wall in their apartment.

If you have a card shower, I suggest that you have it a couple of weeks earlier than your renewal of vows and you could display them on a table to share with others.

Instead of a veil you could have a circle of artifcial flowers arranged in your hair. Or even just a couple of real flowers.

Do you have a second color to go with the cream? You may want to use another color to accent with it for your decorations.
Such as tableclothes, ribbons and flowers.
You could get paper tableclothes at the dollar stores they usually run at a dollar or less. It's the round tableclothes that are higher priced. If you need round ones, try online at different places. They usually sell them by the case of 12.

If you have a greenhouse in your town or try the grocery store floral department for prices for corsages and the bridal bouquet. Before ordering them at a Florist shop which is usually higher priced. Unless you have someone connected who works and makes these up at a Flora shop.
Or know someone who works with artifical flowers and knows how to make them up. That would make you a nice momento of your wedding.
Hope that gives you some more things to think about.
Vicky
Old 06-10-2005, 04:58 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Abear,
I've never done anything like this before either. I've never even planned a wedding. With my first marriage, my mother & his mother did all of the planning (I was just barely 16) & when Doug & I married my mother & sister-in-law made all of the arrangements except for what I would wear. So with mother gone I'm just winging it.

Vicky,
I thought about flowers for my hair, but I don't have enough hair to hold anything. There is a photo of DH & me in the forum for pictures of members. It was taken at his surprise birthday party last year. This will really date me, but I would love to have a 'pillbox type hat' with just a small veil attached, however even if I could find one I'm afraid that it would be out of my price range & I would likely have to go to Dallas, Waco or Tyler to find one. As for colors my very favorite is purple followed by blue. These are such intense colors that I'm uncertain about the suitability of either for this type of occasion. I guess that I'm really just stressing about everything now.
I have my invitations, which are white with silver swirls. These will be sent to those outside of my church family. I will issue a blanket invitation to the church. I'll go today and check out what is available in town in the way of tablecloths, table decor & such. I don't have to worry about punch bowls or serving trays & the like since what I didn't have, I have inherited from my mother & her sister. I may spring for a special caker server that is designed for weddings, just to have something to pass on to my oldest great grand daughter.
Well I am rambling, forgive me, it is one of the less desireable traits of advancing age. I have to go into town now to beat the heat. It is supposed to be in the mid 90's with a heat index of closer to 100 and I don't handle the heat & humidity very well anymore.
Thanks for all of the ideas & encouragement.
Latriece aka Jole Blond
Old 06-10-2005, 12:20 PM
Nine Year Member

Dear Jole,
I did a search online today and found a site that sells patterns to make hats. So, if you know someone who can sew or you do maybe you could purchase a piece of material and make you a pillbox hat really cheap. Here's the website:

http://www.leenas.com/PDF/PDF_En/sew_hats.pdf

I've never made a pillbox before. But it sounds rather simple as I read the directions on the site. If you don't want to buy a pattern you could possible measure a circle on the top of your head and add one inch more to the diameter of the circle. for a half inch seam. Then measure around the sides completely around your head add an extra inch for a back seam. Then make a rectangle of the material with the length the measurement around you head by the height that you want times two. You need to add the seam allowance to sew the side to the top circle. Before you fold the sides in half you need to sew the back seam right sides together first. I hope that you can understand these directions. If the material isn't stiff enough to hold the shape you may have to add some interfacing inside of the sides the same size of the rectangle.

Hope that this helps you.
Vicky
Old 06-10-2005, 07:32 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

A matching hat would be pretty. The veil that was made for my 10th anniversary was very simple. It was just a piece of sheer material with some lace and elastic to hold it together in the front. It just covered the back of my head and was short. If you can't find a hat or make one, you could make something with a sheer scarf that matches your dress and maybe a stretchy headband or some lacey elastic. Maybe you could find a pretty headband and/or scarf at a drugstore there? BTW, your dress sounds very pretty.

That's good you have the food and invitations pretty well taken care of. Your family might think it is silly now but I'm sure it will be very meaningful to them when they get older.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:57 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
This sounds wonderful! Congratulations!!

Just a thought......if you really like purple, how about lilac or lavender accents if you think that purple will be too strong for the color? I think that either softer color would go nice with your dress.

Tami

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!