Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

New Year's Share your ideas, memories, and more here!

Old 12-28-2003, 03:52 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

New Year's Menu's???

What are you having for New Years Eve and/or New Year's Day???
Is there a certain tradition in your family or are you going to wing it?
Old 12-28-2003, 06:17 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

New Years Eve, we buy mostly finger foods such as hot wings, cheese sticks, veggies and fruits and make cheese balls and we really eat supper, but when we get hungry, nibble on them and play canasta or other card games. At midnight, we open up a bottle of non-alcoholic bubbly and ring in the New Year with Dick Clark or who ever happens to be on the t.v. when midnight strikes.
17 yo dd doesn't think she wants to join us. There is a big dance at our church and she wants to be there with all her friends and right before midnight they serve pancakes. I keep telling her that it all depends on how she is feeling. She is going on an outing with her church friends on Saturday, and since she is getting over this awful flu that has been going around the country, she needs not to overdo her activities.
Old 12-28-2003, 07:14 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

On New Year's Eve evening, we'll have chips, dip, a cheese & cold cut tray, a veggie tray and possibly some boudin while we play games and watch Dick Clark on television. We don't go out on New Year's Eve. May even let each DS have a friend sleep over.

For New Year's Day lunch/lupper, we are planning on having ham, blackeyed peas cooked with a ham hock, smothered cabbage, raw cabbage ( DD nor I really care for smothered cabbage) and .........menu isn't really fully planned yet.
Old 12-28-2003, 09:01 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

We never really had a New Year's Eve tradition

but I would like to have one. I like the finger food ideal...and my tradition as far as drinks go is to buy the cheapy, cheapy. But, I may get something a little more pricey this time.

On New Year's Day though, we always have corned beef and cabbage. My mother usually has the onion rolls, mustard and pickles to go with it, but my sister serves it cooked together, Irish style. So, this year I am adding something a little different, hashbrown casserole and macaroni salad. My sister has some rolls so we'll have that too.
Old 12-29-2003, 05:38 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

We also never go anywhere on New Years eve, it is just to risky!! The kids usually each have a friend spend the night. This year I think we will do make your own pizza, DH will make his hot wings, and have chips and veggies with dips.

New Year's Day is pork and sauerkraut. I really don't know exactly why, but my Mom always said that if you eat pork and sauerkraut on new years day, you won't have money problems!! I don't know if she made that up or not!! I think we need to start eating something different for new years!!!

I like momofjems idea of the non-alcoholic bubbly maybe I will look for some the kids would all get a big kick out of that !!!

When I was young, I always said I wanted to be someone...I guess I should have been more specific!
Old 12-29-2003, 05:49 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Karen,
No your mom isnt the only one who said that, I belive thats the same as my gram told me!
We started staying home for New Years once Ds was born, prior to that the only thing we did was go to friends who already had kids! Personaly I like staying home its much safer! Dh wants me to cook a steak dinner for the Eve, I like just the finger foods! I know I am making a spincach dip as I have all the stuff was going to make for one of my Xmas eve party but found out someone else was making so decided to save for New Years. I do need to buy the bread though!
Karen,
How do you cook your porkroast and Saurkraut? We usually go for dinner at parents but this year I want to stay home! I was thinking the crockpot, I really want to use since I just got a new one for xmas!
I know Xmas is over but how many of you burned your Bayberry Candle? I am now wondering if this is just another tradition I thought everyone did!
Leighann
Old 12-29-2003, 06:00 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
I know Xmas is over but how many of you burned your Bayberry Candle? I am now wondering if this is just another tradition I thought everyone did!
That is one that I have never heard of. Couldn't do it even if I had though as candles can't be used in this house due to allergies and asthma.

Even though we are having ham, I've never heard of eating pork on New Years Day for any type of luck or good things. Usually we have a turkey roll on New Year's Day. DH & I decided to go with a ham this year.

Here in the south, folk lore says that it is supposed to bring you money and good luck for the upcoming year if you eat cabbage and blackeyes on New Year's Day.

I might just get some of that non-alcoholic bubbly for this year too! I've never bought it before....is it sold on the juice aisle or back near the beer & wine??
Old 12-29-2003, 06:15 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I too believe in staying home on New Years

because its safe...how funny! I also heard that if you're house is a certain way, it'll be that way all year...the saying was that God will bless you if you bring in the New Year with a clean house... so I try to clean my house. Last year I didn't do it, I had clutter and sure nuff if I'm not always tossing bags of clutter out of the living room and dd's room-(stayed up last night cleaning her room out)! So, this year it'll be clean!!!

I also just read last night you're not supposed to wash anything on New Years, so you're supposed to have your clothes already ready. Hey, I don't mind not washing clothes on New Years at all!!!-LOL!
Old 12-29-2003, 06:29 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic
FamilyCorner Fanatic

The babyberry candle is to be burned all the way starting at 6 on Christmas eve, a taper usually takes about 6 hrs. They are hard to find though. The saying is burning the candle will bring you good health, wealth and happiness....I have to say this was taught to me by my dhs family. I know though they are not the only ones who do it! Thats how the candle is advertised at the stores!
Leasmom,
I can make a goal to have house cleaned up by New Years but know it wont happen. I dont know that it will ever be clean again. I really cant wait to take the tree down, I think that might help but dh says must stay up till at least the 1st! I am all for the no laundry on New Years day! Never heard that one though!
Leighann
Old 12-29-2003, 07:16 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I was just reading about it off of another site I belong too...

Called Southern Living, the link...http://community.southernliving.com/...threadid=11087

It's called Grandma's New Year's Food and Traditions...it's very interesting...