Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

New Year's Share your ideas, memories, and more here!

Old 12-28-2004, 07:03 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
(Food) For Luck in the New Year

FOR LUCK IN THE NEW YEAR

Traditionally, it was thought that one could affect the luck they would have throughout the coming year by what they did or ate on the first day of the year. For that reason, it has become common for folks to celebrate the first few minutes of a brand new year in the company of family and friends. Parties often last into the middle of the night after the ringing in of a new year. It was once believed that the first visitor on New Year's Day would bring either good luck or bad luck the rest of the year. It was particularly lucky if that visitor happened to be a tall dark-haired man.

Traditional New Year foods are also thought to bring luck. Many cultures believe that anything in the shape of a ring is good luck, because it symbolizes "coming full circle," completing a year's cycle. For that reason, the Dutch believe that eating donuts on New Year's Day will bring good fortune.

Many parts of the U.S. celebrate the new year by consuming black-eyed peas. These legumes are typically accompanied by either hog jowls or ham. Black-eyed peas and other legumes have been considered good luck in many cultures. The hog, and thus its meat, is considered lucky because it symbolizes prosperity. Cabbage is another "good luck" vegetable that is consumed on New Year's Day by many. Cabbage leaves are also considered a sign of prosperity, being representative of paper currency. In some regions, rice is a lucky food that is eaten on New Year's Day.

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 12-30-2004, 10:00 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

For as long as I can remember, I've heard the black eyed peas and collard greens tradition. Our family did it for many years growing up. Nice tradition, I think.
Old 12-30-2004, 12:19 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I just found out about the black eyed peas at New Years on another thread. I had never heard that before, guess you can tell Im not from the south.
We always have Chinese Take out on New Years Eve and New Years day for the last 10 years we have been going to this HUGE Chinese Buffet Resaurant with a few friends and family.I guess since we DO have rice thats where the luck part comes in.As long as I dont have to cook on New Years Im happy!

Hugs Sandie
Attached Images

Old 12-30-2004, 07:07 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I had never heard of black eyed peas till everyone stared talking about it on the WFD thread. We do have ham here.

Hugs
Debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 12-26-2008, 05:45 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
I'm already planning on pork and sauerkraut (for me ) for this year.

I'll do whatever it takes to bring in the good luck in the coming year!

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 12-26-2008, 08:18 PM

I had always heard you should eat herring.
We have some New Year's Eve and New Year's Day.

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-27-2008, 04:57 AM
6 yr member
FamilyCorner Addict

We do the pork and saurekraut thing for New Year's. We could also use the good luck.

I hope the economy starts turning around and dh gets a job. He has been umemployed sense the end of June. Thank goodness that he can bartend part time to keep him from going stir crazy.

Charlotte
Old 12-27-2008, 11:11 AM
Nine Year Member

Growing up military with my Dad moving us all over and my mother being German, many traditions have made their way into my family New Year celebrations. Having something "pork, whether it be ham or pork roast. A pig is suppose to be lucky. I usually serve ham, black eye peas (coins) and spinach (dollars) mash potatoes (??) and rolls (warmth). I can't remember what the potatoes meant.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:39 AM
Nine Year Member

I just asked the question about eating black eye peas on another thread....now I know the answer.....I did read that black eye peas were good luck for the New Year some where but can't remember where.....Sharon, my mother believed that eating herring on New Years day would bring good luck for the year.....We always had it on the dinner table New Years day.....
Old 12-27-2008, 08:33 PM

Caroline, we have the herring on New Years Eve and New Years Day because I can never remember which day we are supposed to eat it. LOL
I remember when I worked in a supper club, there always was herring on the salad bar for New Years Eve and New Years Day.
I don't like black eyed peas or cooked spinach.
I do like pork and sauerkraut and raw spinach in a salad.

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Thomas Jefferson