HELP! problem neighbors - Page 2 - FamilyCorner.com Forums
Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Neighbors How do you get along with your neighbors?

Old 06-07-2003, 06:51 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Amymomof3

Video tape it all. I went through having no sleep at all for two weeks, complained to the owner's of the dogs, home owner's association and the police and nothing helped. I finally video taped it for three nights. The tape had their dogs barking, getting out of the fence and even caught their 15 year old daughter climbing out her window. Mailed them a copy of the tape with a little note that said I was sick of it and they came over and apologized, got rid of the dog doing the barking and have bars on the daughters window.
Old 06-08-2003, 03:34 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Darla--you made my morning!

Jayne

Editor of FREE Penny Pincher freebie newsletter:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOLPennyPincher/

Subscribe: [email protected]

Special Member of the Family
Become an Honorary Member

Old 06-08-2003, 07:25 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi Nagymom

Glad I helped ya have a good day. LOL! I have a lot of them now that I can finally get some sleep.

I don't know if it's legal what I did but I'm outside the city limits so I figured it was worth a try.
Old 06-20-2003, 08:55 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

amymomof3

OK, so I am a "little" late in finding this thread!

I am also curious about 2 things :

1. I grew up in Houston - what part do you live in???
I have a friend that is a Houston Police Officer. I am certain that he never got a call on your complaint! He would have stopped it in a heartbeat! Knowing him, he would have gave them his card and said to have the homeowner call him. He would give the Mom a "heads up" on what was going on in her home when she wasn't there and advised her to get a grip on the situation. I wouldn't have paid out of my pocket to have the fence repaired. I would have notified the landlord of the damage from the dogs and let him either collect the damages form the neighbors or have him file it on his homeowners insurance. (that might have gotten rid of the dogs really quick!)

When the dogs damaged your fence, you should have called the police and filed a complaint...if nothing else as a point of record.

If you could find out who their homeowners insurance is with, you could notify their agent, anonymously of course, of the dog situation. Most insurance companies won't insure a home with a dog breed on the premises that is known for violence. They would be give a certain amount of time to get rid of the dogs or lose their insurance.

2. Was the situation ever resolved? For your sanity, I hope so!
Old 03-16-2006, 05:22 AM
Assistant Moderator

I just found this thread and I can totally relate. We also have the neighbors from hell and I have no idea how to handle them. They installed a hottub in their back yard which is extremely close to our house. They are in it constantly and play their music very loud, recently installing an outside speaker. The music is so loud we can hear it inside our house with all the doors and windows closed. They play music in their house that we can hear outside, and often even if no one is outside forget to turn off the outside speaker. Several times my husband has gone over and asked them to do this which they do but it happens over and over and over. They are always outside in the spring, summer and fall so we never get any peace and quiet just to enjoy our deck. If they are not in their hot tub they are just outside. Our houses are very close together, selling is not an option. They are extremely inconsiderate. Their dog comes into our yard to poop, their music is always on and much too loud, they rev their car engines at 6 a.m. I have never wanted to be neighbor who complains constantly or calls the police all the time but I am at my wits end. All I want is some peace and quiet, time to enjoy my yard in peace, be able to enjoy being in my house without the walls vibrating from their music etc. Feel I have some privacy! Putting up a privacy fence is not an option for us as we cannot afford to do so. Any ideas as to how to handle this? I would hate to have to go to a park or something every time I just wanted to sit outside and read a book in peace. My husband is rather mellow about all of this but he is at work during the day. I work at home so am around these inconsiderate people 24/7 and it eventually just wears me down. Any suggestions?
Old 03-16-2006, 09:58 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Sammi - sorry to hear that your neighbors are so inconsiderate. Have you read the above and tried any of these.

Check your ordinances (laws) and see if any could apply to the noise especially late at night or early in the morning.

It reminds me of a camping trip years ago. My parents and friends were next to a camper who played loud rock music and drank late into the night. My parents and friends got up early and responded with loud classical music. The next night the music was at a much quieter level.

Children have never been very good at listening to their parents, but they have never failed to imitate them. Baldwin ~
Old 03-17-2006, 02:06 AM
Nine Year Member

Wow, okay, documenting the problems will work. Going in numbers will work. Finding out local ordinances, like decibel ratings, will work. It's not right that the burden of proof is on you, but it will work.

My grouchy neighbor just cut down the lower branches off the blue spruce screen that shields our backyard pool. Now I need to come up with some kind of privacy fence. Ideas?

Under blue spruce, about 6 feet high needed...

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 03-17-2006, 03:34 AM
Assistant Moderator

Thank you redcardinalbird, I think I really will go check the ordinances. I am pretty sure their hottub is illegal too as in it is too close to property boundries. I truly do not want to alienate my neighbors, just live a bit more quietly. My days are really noisy but I really just want some time in the evenings or on weekends when I can sit outside without all their loud music, voices, and noise! Or to have peace in my house without hearing them. I loved your parents idea. That was awesome!!! What a smart thing to do -and it worked no less!
Ellen, we had a neighbor on the other side who hacked the heck out of two of our blue spruces cause he said the branches hit his car when he drove into his driveway. The worst part is, most of his driveway is on OUR property, we just continued to let them use it as if we don't he would not be able to get his cars into his garage. And he KNEW this! I was so angry. Luckily we were leaving for vacation that evening so after I yelled at him (a very unusual occurance as I am not assertive at all and don't usually yell) we left so I had two weeks to calm down. What is with the world today??? What happened to being good neighbors and considerate of others???
Old 03-17-2006, 09:12 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I know it seems like this is a "me" society.

Sammi as for your neighbors having their driveway on your property check out the following site http://www.lectlaw.com/files/lat06.htm

by your letting them use it they could claim it as their own. The above site tells to get a permission slip signed.

I know here if the tree is on your property they have to get permission to cut it. I know most of the time to avoid bad feelings nothing is done.

Ellen, do you already have a fence up? If chain link you could extend it and put in slats. Or possible put in the wooden privacy fence just for that section. Or plant some of the tall ornamental grass under the tree so it would shield the area.

Children have never been very good at listening to their parents, but they have never failed to imitate them. Baldwin ~
Old 03-18-2006, 05:33 AM
Assistant Moderator

I know we should have done something about their driveway years ago. The reason we planted a row of blue spruce trees was to keep them from widening it any further. We have always gotten along well with these neighbors so just let the driveway issue go but you are right, we should get something in writing as otherwise they could claim it under eminent domain. I am still upset about them cutting off all those branches (the trees look awful now) but just try not to look at them. It is the noisy, inconsiderate neighbors on the other side that I am having trouble resigning myself too. My husband is so much more mellow about it but he is gone so much of the time. I am here 24/7 having to listen to them either talk loudly or play music constantly - there is almost never quiet whenever we want to be outside or have some peace. I am sure there is a solution somewhere. I am just trying to find something that won't alienate them too much as they live VERY close to us and being on the outs with neighbors is never pleasant.