retired and what to do????? - FamilyCorner.com Forums
Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Neighbors How do you get along with your neighbors?

Old 10-30-2006, 01:00 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

retired and what to do?????

Are there any ladies that have recently retired or been retired for a while? What do you do? We recently moved from Indiana to Michigan and live in a very small community and there is nothing to do here. Actually we live on a private lake and these people have been here for years and have their own friends but cannot find activites or get togethers of any sort. Now that the winter months are setting in...I am afraid...what will I do? I mean how much home can you clean with two people....and I have plenty of craft items I could do but that gets old. Anyone with ideas would be great.
TIA
Old 10-30-2006, 08:42 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I am retired but I am afraid I am not much help as my children are still young and at home.

Is there a library close by and do they offer anything? Or your church or another do they have a group for older retired individuals?

You can check at the schools and see if they have any volunteer opportunities. I know ours are always looking for individuals to read to the children.

Children have never been very good at listening to their parents, but they have never failed to imitate them. Baldwin ~
Old 10-31-2006, 03:42 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

retired???

Red,
Thank you for your ideas but ironically I did go to our library and there were several things that I inquired about and they were suppose to call me and not on either of the items did they do that. My husband did suggest to do volunteer but guess I might be a little selfish there....not into the school thing and feel my services are worth something but will continue to look but thanks for the input anyway! Guess I am a little lost not knowing anyone here and all kids live all over!
Old 10-31-2006, 05:48 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

It probably depends on how old you are..I "retired" because of several reasons..health and work..at 73...I still work one day each quarter to do tax reports..
I belonged to Silver Sneakers a Sr. exercise group until 2 yrs ago when I had renal surgery..is there one in your area? great place to keep fit and meet people..
You can join a church and become active there..
I am past president of the American Legion Aux. and a past officer in the Woman of the Moose...have'nt been active because of health and driving in the dark is a problem for me but had been for many years..
I am on the Association Board here where I live..keeps me up on what is going on and a part of deciding what needs to be done..
Libraries have geneology groups that might interest you.
Or you could take a "fun" course at the local community college..
Do you and your DH have common interests...like bowling..you could join a local bowling team or just go together..always a lot of people there..
I am a widow of 34 yrs so have always had to find things that I could do alone..
hope some of this helps....

Old 11-01-2006, 10:53 PM
Five Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I am 79 and have retired at least 6 times. The first time at 54 from paid employment, since then I have done voluntary work, set up card and gift stalls in two churches, worked in a community for "homeless" youth for 2 years and set up a card and gift shop for them. Now I live in a retirement centre, am President of the Resident's Association, do the notices for lots of the activites, drive people to medical appointments, spend lots of time on the computer at FC (which I enjoy), do needlework when times permits, and have a card and gift stall, which operates every Friday morning and supports the local chaplaincy in two primary schools. In between time I sleep, garden, wash and iron and try to visit lonely people.
Hospital visiting and reading is another way to help people, and here in Aussie they are always needing helping hands.
It is not easy making a life change, and even more difficult if the family and Gc live a distance.
Needless to say I keep fairly good health. A few aches and pains but keeping busy keeps them at bay.
Have you a church nearby that you could visit? Meals on wheels is another programme here in Australia that is always needing help.
Also if there is a local historical group that could be interesting.
All the best in your pursuits, Marj

God is silently planning for you in love, for it matters to Him about you. Zeph.3:17
Old 11-11-2006, 07:38 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

retired

I retired at 62 and that was 2 years ago. i am enjoying my time. i have one question, why did you move to the lake? you didn't say just how small your town is. i do crafts also and always have something going. i do have an idea. if you don't know your neighbors, have a pot luck dinner. have everyone bring one of their favorite dishes. at least that way everyone would have something there that they can eat if they are on a special diet. you will get to meet your neighbors that way.
would love to hear how it goes if you decide to have the dinner. nance
Old 11-11-2006, 08:45 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Well, I am not retired but I do like the potluck dinner idea.

With Thanksgiving and Christmas coming up, there are 2 reasons to get together. You could hold an open house at Christmas.

I do understand how it is to move into an area where the people are less than welcoming. Hopefully, if you extend an offering, they will be reseptive and welcome you with open arms.

In the meantime, we welcome you here at FC!! You can spend all the time in the world here with us!

Hugs,
Tami

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 06-05-2008, 07:35 AM
Nine Year Member

myan,

Just a note to see how you are doing? It has been awhile and hope you are doing okay there.

Just a suggestion, Maybe you could start a group and offer to teach some craft classes to either senior citizens or kids after school or through the summer. Depending on your hobbies. Hope you have found your niche in the community by now.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:50 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I had to retire for health reasons. As many on here know. After my total hip sugery things went awry. Instead of 4 days in the hospital I was there for a month and now have CPOD in my resume' of ailments.
I crochet, which helped past some of the bordom. The problem was what do I do with all the crochet (family and friends only need so much), and our church provided that answer. I crochet dishcloths and also small toys for the church to had out to families in need. I'm also in our sewing ministry, and we do walker bags, crib size quilts we give to Ronald McDonald house, and our F.I.T. projects.
My friend (who is more able body than me) does Meals on Wheels, and has fun learning to paint among other things at the senior center. They pick a project in Oct. to help a family in Dec. It's for the working poor, and sometimes one or both of the parents are trying but unable to find work. Her thing is that there is always something out there, and we just have to find it. Did I mention she is 76 yrs young?? Hope you find something you'll enjoy!
Old 10-01-2010, 09:34 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Are you at all interested in online classes of some kind? How about joining a seniors group and going on trips with them? When I retired this spring I took up bike riding and now that it's getting cooler I have plans to join the exercise classes at the senior center here. Also plan to see about their classes. I've always read a lot, done lots of crafts. I walk my dog every day if the weather cooperates. Do you have pets? They do take some of your time like it or not. My problem is that DH pretty much sits around all day not wanting to do much of anything. That makes it hard for me to get housework done with him in the way. I've started dusting him to give him a gentle hint. He took early retirement many years before I did. That's why I kept working until now.