retired and what to do????? - Page 2 - FamilyCorner.com Forums
Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Neighbors How do you get along with your neighbors?

Old 10-01-2010, 05:44 PM
Head Moderator

I retired back in 2000 to take care of my DH after a life changing accident. He needs someone around to remind him of some daily things and to direct him when he gets tired as that is when he starts getting really confused.

I had hopes of spending my days cooking our meals...... I do cook and enjoy it, but.....

We raise chickens, have about 100 again, 11 cats, and 4 dogs besides the borders I take in from time to time. Just doing the daily tending to all them passes many hours per day! If you don't have pets they most defintely will help with some time usage. If you live where you can get maybe six hens and one rooster and they take a lot of time too, but you benefit from the fresh eggs once they start laying.

We have a large vegetable garden that we eat out of and can some of it...all takes time. Several fruit trees are starting to produce so more time canning. Wild fruits and nuts at various times of the year to gather along with wild mushrooms.Then just the reading up on what is safe to gather and then how to prepare them all for storage.

We live on 31+ acres so there is much grass to cut with the tractor, do you do any of the landscaping or yard work?

I have several hobbies, but never have much time to sit down and work on them. Maybe you can bottle up some of your time and let me buy it! lol I really thought with retirement there would be so much "extra" time, but the days still fly by just like when I was working and had a family at home to take care of.
Old 10-02-2010, 02:28 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Answering about retirement

WOW! Not sure why I didn't get some of these responses which has been 4 yrs since I posted about retiring but wanted to thank everyone that responded...how wonderful for all of you to give me ideas. I have since gotten involved in several things..first off I did go back to work just 2 days a week Mon & Tues and only work 3 hrs @ day...a receptionist for Weight Watchers and I absolutely love it. I also play Bunco once a month at Senior Center, gotten involved with quite a few pp around our lake...so things are looking up but winters are the hardest due to not much to do locally but do have 2 friends here now that love to go places and football season is the time we do those things. So again, ty everyone for your input...just sorry it's taken this long to respond. Oh, btw, I do crafts and have for over 50 yrs, so one friend and I are going to start getting together on Sunday afternoons to do quilting (she is going to teach me how to), card making, etc...so as said things are looking up. Sincerely to all, Elaine (aka-myan)
Old 10-02-2010, 03:36 AM
Head Moderator

So glad you have found some friends in your new neighborhood. The quilting instruction sounds like a great idea! I play around with quilting, but having an experienced person "teach" you is an ideal prospect, have fun with that!

Finding that small amount ofwork is a great idea too, at least you get to mingle with people; that is something I miss having to dtay home and are for DH, so do it while you can! lol

I actually found your post just the other day, was looking for some unsanswered or older ones that didn't get much response. And then the fact that I too am retired it just all fit right in! Glad to "meet" you and hope to see you posting here and there. Have you ever visited the thread "What's For Dinner"? It is a short nice daily contact and some really good recipes are posted there!
www.familycorner.com/forums/whats-dinner/27934-whats-dinner-october-2010-a.html
Old 03-14-2015, 01:24 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I am not retired but I am at home alot,as I do not work any longer. Besides keeping busy with a few groups I make signature tags for, plus owning one of my own, and teaching Photoshop and Animation shop, I love to do crafts. I love to do Trash to Treasure crafts, you can find a ton of ideas on Pinterest.com just love that site. A few years ago we got a Beagle, and he keeps me in shape, by going for walks, not so much now because of all the snow we still have up here in New Hampshire . I used to read alot, am trying to get back into reading an actual book, instead of Kindle etc. I also crochet, bt Fall is my time for that, and I have to be inspired lol. We also have a year old grandaughter who I babysit often, she is a joy to have around!
Attached Images

Old 03-18-2015, 07:26 PM
Nine Year Member

I am retired for the last twenty five years in this community for people over 55 and over in Florida. I have my Dh & Ds who I take care of too which takes a lot of my free time. I am glad I enjoy gardening which is relaxing to me. Love to cook & bake which my family enjoys. So happy I have a computer to make new friends and keep in touch with everyone. It is a great source of information and learning experiences.
My development is my link to social entertainment and friends. So happy I moved here when I did to Florida. The weather has been helpful keeping us healthier as we aged. Hopefully I am able to continue doing what I do.
________
Sueanne
Attached Images