Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Healthy Living > Beauty > Outer Beauty > Nature's Secrets

Old 04-02-2007, 06:09 AM
Five Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

bee/hornet

Bee/Hornet Cure
A couple of weeks ago I was unfortunate enough to get stung by both a
bee and hornet while working in the garden. My arm swelled up so off to the doctor I went.
The clinic gave me cream and an antihistamine.The next day the swelling was getting
progressively worse so off to my regular doctor I went.
Infected arm - needed an antibiotic. What was interesting is what the
Dr. told me. The next time you get stung put a penny on the bite for 15
minutes. I thought, wow next time (if there ever is one) I will try it.
Well that night Shelley's niece got stung by two bees. When she came
over to swim I looked at the bite and it had already started to swell. So off
I went to get my money. Taped a penny to her arm for 15 minutes. The next
morning, there was no sign of a bite. Wow were we surprised. Her niece we decided, just
wasn't allergic to the sting.
Well guess what happened again on Saturday night. I was helping
Shelley deadhead her flowers and guess what? You are right I got stung again two times
by a hornet on my left hand. Was I ticked. I thought, here I go again having to go to
the doctor for yet another antibiotic. Well I promptly went into the house, again got my
money out, and taped two pennies to my bites and then sat and sulked for 15 minutes. The penny
took the string out of the bite immediately. I still wasn't sure what was going to happen. In the
meantime the hornets were attacking Shelley and she got stung on the thumb. Again the penny.
The next morning I could only see the spot where he had stung me. No
redness, no swelling. Went over to see Shelley and hers was the same. Couldn't even tell where
she got stung. Then Shelley got stung again on Monday night on her back---cutting the grass.
This penny thing is going to make us money at school. Again it worked.
Just wanted to share the marvelous information in case any of you are
experiencing the same problem at home. We need to have a stock of
pennies on hand at school and at home.
The Dr. said somehow the copper in the penny counteracts the bite. I
would never had believed it. But it definitely does work.
So remember this little bit of wisdom and pass it on to your friends,
children, grandchildren, etc
Old 04-08-2007, 11:06 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

Happy face

Mojoblack, Thanks for sharing this very useful information. I will be sure to pass this informatiom on to all I know. .........
Old 04-08-2007, 11:54 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

That is very useful info... but it sounds like you'd better find out where the hornet's nest is!!!

Keep your words soft and tender as you may have to eat them tomorrow!
Old 07-28-2007, 06:41 PM
Five Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

A Penny Will Also Help If You Get Motion Sickness Put It In Are Around Your Nabel Even If You Have To Tape It Are Hold It Believe Me It Works. My Daughter Had One The Other Day And My Granddaughtrer Saw It And Said Wait Mom Pull Another 69 Cents Out Of There And We Can Buy A Bag Of Doritios.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:06 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Wow some very useful information.Will have to try that if it happens here.
Mish
Old 07-30-2007, 07:20 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

For some reason, bees, wasps, and hornets don't like me. We have several at our house, but they never bother me. But, I am afraid that one day, they will bite someone. This is useful information to keep around! Thanks!

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!
Old 11-25-2007, 05:00 PM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Lightbulb Keeping the Bees and Hornets away BEFORE they *~BITE~*

While out on a University Geological Field School, Dr. McGinn took out a can of Tuna and a can opener. It was the middle of the morning and we had just come from breakfast.

He walked some distance from where we were working and placed the can WITH the juice on the ground in an open, but slightly shaded area.

As we quizzically gazed at him, he stopped and said, "What? You've never seen how to keep bees and hornets away from you at picnics and WORK?"
"No!" was the resounding chorus.

McGinn went on to explain that the strong scent of the tuna or salmon (just the cheap stuff will do) draws the little demons for beverage and food.

They are CARNIVORES as many of you have attested in your stories of bites and infections, allergies.

Also, NEVER pull a bee's stinger out directly, brush it out using a credit card or heavy poster board. Pulling the stinger out allows more venom from the stinger to be injected as the stinger end is squeezed while being pinched by tweezers or fingers to remove it.

Waif
Old 11-30-2007, 10:36 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

No kidding? A can of tuna or salmon attracts the sting-y bugs and keeps them away from you? I have GOT to try that next summer. Thanks for sharing that.